Quick Question Thread

I'm driving down to Folkestone to get the Eurotunnel at the end of the month.  Our plan is to leave late Friday afternoon, stop off and stay somewhere and then get down to Folkestone for about lunchtime on the Saturday to get the train.  

I've not done a drive like this before and wanted to get an idea of where might be a good place to stop off on the way down.  Google maps gives me three different options for getting down:  M6, M1 or A1.  It claims A1 is the quickest and shortest route.

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to head to first?  Ideally I only want a 2 or 3 hour drive to Folkestone on the Saturday morning.

Guest Moomintroll
34 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I'm driving down to Folkestone to get the Eurotunnel at the end of the month.  Our plan is to leave late Friday afternoon, stop off and stay somewhere and then get down to Folkestone for about lunchtime on the Saturday to get the train.  

I've not done a drive like this before and wanted to get an idea of where might be a good place to stop off on the way down.  Google maps gives me three different options for getting down:  M6, M1 or A1.  It claims A1 is the quickest and shortest route.

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to head to first?  Ideally I only want a 2 or 3 hour drive to Folkestone on the Saturday morning.

You could stay at Kincy's gaff, 2 and a half hours from there going down the M25/20. Help a brother out @The_Kincardine

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Cambridge

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

You could stay in Milton Keynes. Easy access to motorway and gives you a couple of hours to folkstone on the second day.

8 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I’m actually coming round to KB and Kincardine sharing a house for the night.

Just imagine the sash bash.

An evening so staunch we might rip the very fabric of the space/time continuum unleashing a cavalry of snorting white chargers.

An evening so staunch we might rip the very fabric of the space/time continuum unleashing a cavalry of snorting white chargers.

Impressive way of describing an evening of staunchery and lines of ching m8

1 hour ago, mathematics said:

You could stay in Milton Keynes. Easy access to motorway and gives you a couple of hours to folkstone on the second day.

That's not a bad idea.  About 6 hours down on the Friday evening then we can get away between 8 and 9 to get to Folkestone.  

Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

That's not a bad idea.  About 6 hours down on the Friday evening then we can get away between 8 and 9 to get to Folkestone.  

Hanbury Manor, just outside Ware, is a nice place to crash. Terrific breakfast spread overlooking the golf course, ponds, fountain etc, swimming pool for the kids and nice grounds to wander about. 

30 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Hanbury Manor, just outside Ware, is a nice place to crash. Terrific breakfast spread overlooking the golf course, ponds, fountain etc, swimming pool for the kids and nice grounds to wander about. 

We were thinking more Premier Inn family room.....

Having driven up from Essex a couple of weeks ago using Google’s advice (against my better judgement) I’d wager the far better road is M6/M40/M25/M20 and stay somewhere in the Sevenoaks/ Maidstone area.

I do however think timing on the day will be a big part of your success (or otherwise).

Good luck and God speed.

What is the best online betting company for covering Scottish football?

William hill (who I've been with for years) have pissed me off. On Saturday they only had 'in play' on two of the league cup matches (from a full card). I mentioned it on the contact us bit and they said that was all they had available - it wasn't just a mishap.

Their live scores are also a bit slow compared to other sites so I'm finally moving.