Quick Question Thread

Quick Question: Would it be wrong/shite to give the money I normally spend on Christmas presents for my family to a cafe looking to feed the homeless on Christmas day?

I've had two answers from friends, both differing views. What say you, PnB?

No it wouldn't, if your family ain't complete selfish self centred arseholes I'm sure they would understand your reasons behind it

Quick Question: Would it be wrong/shite to give the money I normally spend on Christmas presents for my family to a cafe looking to feed the homeless on Christmas day?

Better that than giving them pictures of a goat and a toilet in Africa, like I got last year. When am I going to get to visit them FFS!

Social Bite will let you purchase a meal for a homeless person on Christmas day and "gift" it to someone. I think that's a great thing to do and good on you for considering it. I've decided against sending cards this year and, for various reasons, I'm donating the money I would have used to a mental health charity.

No it wouldn't, if your family ain't complete selfish self centred arseholes I'm sure they would understand your reasons behind it

They're not and this is what I think, one of my friends just put some doubt in my mind. I'm thinking he might be a selfish self centred arsehole.

Social Bite will let you purchase a meal for a homeless person on Christmas day and "gift" it to someone. I think that's a great thing to do and good on you for considering it. I've decided against sending cards this year and, for various reasons, I'm donating the money I would have used to a mental health charity.

This is where it's came from really. I hadn't seen/heard of the cafe before the deal and on checking them out it's fairly amazing what they do. Instead of just giving a fiver for each family member though I was going to just give all the money I would've spent to them.

This is where it's came from really. I hadn't seen/heard of the cafe before the deal and on checking them out it's fairly amazing what they do. Instead of just giving a fiver for each family member though I was going to just give all the money I would've spent to them.

This.

If you are like me, you often end up getting folk stuff purely for the sake of it. This is a far better use of the cash.

Edited by PWL

It's a cracking idea, mate.

They're not and this is what I think, one of my friends just put some doubt in my mind. I'm thinking he might be a selfish self centred arsehole.

Tell him to f**k off, the c**t.

Having been closer than I care to remember to homelessness, it's more obvious to me than it is to some just how easily it really could be me in that position. I'm not a drug addict, an alcoholic or a feckless waster, I'm just a normal person who has had hard times and seen just how badly things can spiral out of control. It's terrifying and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It certainly won't do your family any harm to consider that.

It depends on the person's circumstances.

I'd be a little peeved if one of my immediate family did that, but then I know all my family members can more than afford to give to charity and still give presents. With us we largely stick to the thought that counts aspect anyway, as most of us just buy what we want for ourselves anyway. I personally would feel bad if I gave the cash at the expense of giving my family a gift but that's because I'm not in an either/or scenario. I've donated a reasonable amount to a number of causes this year, but that comes out of money I would have otherwise saved or spent on myself, not what I spend on family. For those who don't have so much disposable income and would face an either/or choice though, crack on and I'm sure your family would understand.

Edit: Basic jist of my point. Giving to charity = good, not giving to family = only bad if you can comfortably afford to do both.

Edited by Spain

It depends on the person's circumstances.

I'd be a little peeved if one of my immediate family did that, but then I know all my family members can more than afford to give to charity and still give presents. With us we largely stick to the thought that counts aspect anyway, as most of us just buy what we want for ourselves anyway. I personally would feel bad if I gave the cash at the expense of giving my family a gift but that's because I'm not in an either/or scenario. I've donated a reasonable amount to a number of causes this year, but that comes out of money I would have otherwise saved or spent on myself, not what I spend on family. For those who don't have so much disposable income and would face an either/or choice though, crack on and I'm sure your family would understand.

Edit: Basic jist of my point. Giving to charity = good, not giving to family = only bad if you can comfortably afford to do both.

Aye, this is what my mate was getting at. I can afford to give some to charity and get some half decent presents but with my family not really asking for anything/in need of anything I found myself asking whats the point in getting them a t-shirt or something else as PWL says for the sake of it.

Looking for someone to fit a satellite dish to an end terrace house in Cumbernauld some time next month, need one feed into the living room and a bedroom directly above. Would need to be alligned for SKY. Already have the receivers.

Anyone on here do it? Just looking for rough prices.

I would be raging. Christmas is all about getting.

Srsly tho, can you put up a link to this gift idea?

Having been closer than I care to remember to homelessness, it's more obvious to me than it is to some just how easily it really could be me in that position. I'm not a drug addict, an alcoholic or a feckless waster, I'm just a normal person who has had hard times and seen just how badly things can spiral out of control. It's terrifying and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It certainly won't do your family any harm to consider that.

During the recent highly succesful Dundee pub crawl, I went round to the bank to get money and ended up chatting to a homeless guy on the corner. The boy clearly wasn't a jakey or a junkie and wasn't under the influence of anything. I chatted away to the guy and came away realising that depending on your support network, you're only a couple of unpaid mortgage payments away from being out on the streets.

I would be raging. Christmas is all about getting.

Srsly tho, can you put up a link to this gift idea?

https://www.itison.com/Glasgow/deals/buy-a-homeless-person-xmas-dinner-social-bite

Available for another day and a half. The most recent update from shop has said they could "fill Wembley stadium" with the amount of meals that people have bought. Amazing.

Edit to add - I think you get a voucher for a free hot drink at one of the shops, you can donate that too by sending the code on an email to them and they'll give it to the first homeless person that needs it.

Edited by The Moonster