Quick Question Thread

Just phoned up Vodaphone to cancel one of my two phone lines (don't ask), and they were trying to intice me to keep with it by offering me an Ipad 2. I declined because i wasn't interested in keeping that line open anyway.

What would have been the catch if i had accepted it? Do these gimmicks really work?

They'll probably buy Ipad 2s by the megaton at a very cheap rate, so your custom for the exchange of one ends up making them money. That's how the "free gift" rubbish with phone contracts works, anyway.

Look for Steam coming out the exhaust, and look around the cylinder head for leaks. Is it an old car?

Ahem,,,,,, steam is invisible so not the right sign to look for........

Er, what? :huh: There's usually plenty coming out the kettle!

Look at the very end of the spout while it's boiling, it's clear then blooms into water vapour.

Exactly, you see from the kettle what the steam has become, ie water droplets.

In an engine situation however that 'could' be fuel vapor from an exhuast for instance.

Radio reception is tolerable during the day on MW for Radio Scotland/5 Live when driving. At night it goes to pot and picks up what seems like every foreign channel possible. Why is this?

Dredged from memory it's to do with the troposphere at night time being more receptive to radio signals than daytime.

Cheers. The troposphere is a pain in the arse.

:lol: I was wrong ionosphere is the right one bit same idea. Hopefully someone more scientific can explain it.

As for five live, have you tried both 909 and 693 and does it make any difference for you?

These are some pretty rookie questions, but bear with me...

I'm going to buy a used car. At the moment I've got an old Ka, but it's on its last legs and won't manage through it's MOT in May, but frankly I want rid of it now before anything else happens. Stuff's going wrong with it at a rate of knots.

What's the story with scrapping cars these days? Will I get a wee bit of cash for it, or do I have to pay someone to get rid of it? It needs some welding done and one of the wheels is pretty dodgy, will a garage take it, fix it up and punt it on for a hundred quid or so?

As for getting a new car...

I'll be spending a couple of thousand pounds, and I'd love to pick up an old model Focus. My old man used to have one and I loved the car. What kind of interest am I looking at for finance, because I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a better car if I could spread the payments over a year or two. Is it worth doing?

As I said, rookie questions, I've never bought a car before. The shiteheap I've got now was inherited. Any and all help greatly appreciated.

1-You will get about £100 for a scrap car these days.

2-Go on Gumtree/Autotrader/Adtrader and take your time when looking for a car,If the deal doesn't seem right then walk away.I have bought and sold loads of cars over the years and done ok.

Take someone that knows about cars with you and never ever pay the asking price 8)

2-Go on Gumtree/Autotrader/Adtrader and take your time when looking for a car,If the deal doesn't seem right then walk away.I have bought and sold loads of cars over the years and done ok.

Take someone that knows about cars with you and never ever pay the asking price 8)

post-31698-0-35488800-1324070658_thumb.p

Edit to add, don't buy cheep cars from Keithgy

Edited by Zen Archer

Ahem,,,,,, steam is invisible so not the right sign to look for........

laugh.gif good point. I'll put it this way, if your car is running and the amount of fumes/smoke/steam/moisture/whatever you want to call it, is coming out in plumes then you'll generally have blown a head gasket

How much does a car mechanic roughly earn a year?

Not much! Depends on your level, i earn under £5 a hour, while those at the very top can earn around £15 a hour. average is around £10 a hour so do your maths

For the amount they charge for a service about 2-3 million robbing barstewards

laugh.gif

Depends on the size of car. Your right if it's a Ka though