Quick Question Thread

Watching the woman on Scottish news, who lost all her family in the arson attack in Helensburgh. A few times the police have mentioned her husbands " business dealings" Does anyone know what he was involved in as they haven't mentioned it.

Used to run a pub which got burnt down last year

What would other PnBer's interpretation of a fully furnished flat be? I've just moved in to one today and expected curtains, duvet etc, microwave, kettle, toaster etc. That's how all my other flats have been and any friends of mine, but this place has 2 beds, 2 sofas, table, chairs, coffee table and a chest of drawers.

To me this is part furnished, no? The bird is going off her nut about having no curtains as well.

Another query is regarding the cleanliness. Is it unreasonable that I should expect the place to have been properly cleaned? I don't see why I should have to clean up someone else's mess.

As far as I was told when renting out a property even renting an unfurnished flat it must have either blinds or curtains.

This website seems to confirm that

Furnished vs Unfurnished

In the country, most lettings are unfurnished and families who are moving lock, stock and barrel will normally have their own furniture and appliances to fill a rental property. The minimum requirements for an unfurnished let is to provide curtains/blinds, fitted floor coverings and a cooker. It is only when one ventures into commuter belts or centres of commerce, where corporate tenants are placed, that the market becomes more evenly divided. Generally, achievable rent is only slightly more for furnished properties than unfurnished and the landlord has the added responsibility of maintaining the various appliances, but if you do wish to let your property fully furnished, the better standard of furnishings, the more chance of maximising the rent. For a furnished property the Landlord would also be expected to provide beds, tables, chairs, fridge, white goods, crockery, kitchen utensils and cutlery. A pressing consideration for Landlords of furnished properties is complying with the soft furnishings and fire regulations which will be discussed later.

Therefore I would get onto your landllord to sort it out as that shouldnt be your responsibility.

As far as I was told when renting out a property even renting an unfurnished flat it must have either blinds or curtains.

This website seems to confirm that

Furnished vs Unfurnished

In the country, most lettings are unfurnished and families who are moving lock, stock and barrel will normally have their own furniture and appliances to fill a rental property. The minimum requirements for an unfurnished let is to provide curtains/blinds, fitted floor coverings and a cooker. It is only when one ventures into commuter belts or centres of commerce, where corporate tenants are placed, that the market becomes more evenly divided. Generally, achievable rent is only slightly more for furnished properties than unfurnished and the landlord has the added responsibility of maintaining the various appliances, but if you do wish to let your property fully furnished, the better standard of furnishings, the more chance of maximising the rent. For a furnished property the Landlord would also be expected to provide beds, tables, chairs, fridge, white goods, crockery, kitchen utensils and cutlery. A pressing consideration for Landlords of furnished properties is complying with the soft furnishings and fire regulations which will be discussed later.

Therefore I would get onto your landllord to sort it out as that shouldnt be your responsibility.

Cheers mate. A search of the cupboards revealed some curtains in a box. However, they're about 4 feet too long for the windows and filthy. As for the white goods, the letting agent is raising it with the owner (and the curtains issue) and will see how we get on.

they're also sending a cleaning company round after I phoned up going mental at finding toasted cheese still in the oven!

Cheers mate. A search of the cupboards revealed some curtains in a box. However, they're about 4 feet too long for the windows and filthy. As for the white goods, the letting agent is raising it with the owner (and the curtains issue) and will see how we get on.

they're also sending a cleaning company round after I phoned up going mental at finding toasted cheese still in the oven!

IT IS ROASTED CHEESE <_<

Did you eat it?

Makes you wonder what the hell happened to the last tenant...

IT IS ROASTED CHEESE <_<

Like am giving a f**k, there was bits of toast with cheese on it inside the oven which was meant to be clean. I can deal with stuff like that relatively calmly but the bird goes aff her nut and it's yours truly who gets it in the neck. I've a mind to sue for undue stress caused.

What are the disadvantages of renting a flat without a HMO licence?

Cheers.

Isn't that for multiple occupancy? IIRC there's lots of statutory requirements about access, fire alarms etc that a landlord has to adhere to to get an HMO licence which allows them to rent out certain properties to more than two unrelated persons.

More info