Quick Question Thread

Guest The Phoenix

how long do you keep your councal tax payment sheets for?

Dundee?

I'd recommend framing them and hanging them on the wall as collector's items. ;)

I got offered a new job earlier today and they want me to start tomorrow, however I'm meant to give my current employers 2 weeks notice and meant to be working there tonight and tomorrow. I intend on starting my new job tomorrow regardless of what my current employers say, but is there anything they can do like hold my wages or that?

Its meant to be a full-time job but im only getting 20 hours a week, and the new jobs 60 hours a week at £8 pound an hour.. so can't really afford to turn it down!

I got offered a new job earlier today and they want me to start tomorrow, however I'm meant to give my current employers 2 weeks notice and meant to be working there tonight and tomorrow. I intend on starting my new job tomorrow regardless of what my current employers say, but is there anything they can do like hold my wages or that?

Its meant to be a full-time job but im only getting 20 hours a week, and the new jobs 60 hours a week at £8 pound an hour.. so can't really afford to turn it down!

Read the terms and conditions of your contract. Play it safe and don't burn bridges with current employers. You never know when you may need them. smile.gif

Congrats on getting a new job though

You might be able to negotiate something with your current job. I left a job working in Personnel with only 3 weeks notice instead of the month they wanted. They can't actually force you to come to work and you need to be paid for any hours you've worked, so just go in and have a chat with them. You might find that they're alright about it.

Cheers folks, I'll go in later and explain the situation to them and see what they have to say. Hopefully they'll be understanding!

Have you got any annual leave accrued that you could use up before you leave. That would ensure you get paid.

The poster "blue478" has posted that Andy Murray is 6/4 at Unibet to win the US Open.

Why wouldn't a bookie simplify these odds down to 3/2?

The poster "blue478" has posted that Andy Murray is 6/4 at Unibet to win the US Open.

Bookies do that with many odds. Another example would be 100/30. It's just the way it has always been.

Who's all watching/watched 'The Loved Ones'? Wow.

As Cowden has indicated below, many bookies do it, although I'm unsure of the exact reason.

I seem to remember hearing that it was a tactic to subconsciously con punters into thinking they were getting better odds. I.e to someone who doesn't know much about betting or odds, 6/4 might seem bigger than 3/2 because the numbers are higher. This could of course be utter nonsense and codswallop. I'm sure someone else will be able to shed more light on the matter though.

As Cowden has indicated below, many bookies do it, although I'm unsure of the exact reason.

I seem to remember hearing that it was a tactic to subconsciously con punters into thinking they were getting better odds. I.e to someone who doesn't know much about betting or odds, 6/4 might seem bigger than 3/2 because the numbers are higher. This could of course be utter nonsense and codswallop. I'm sure someone else will be able to shed more light on the matter though.

That's the reason I've always been led to believe. Besides, fractions are for old people, decimals are where it's at. 8)