Quick Question Thread

Now that Gumtree are charging for ads, is there a free alternative that anyone on here would recommend? Googling "Free ads" etc. brings up myriad hits, most of which are crap, so any pointer to a particular website or service would be appreciated. In particular, I'm looking to advertise flats for rent. Cheers.

What is the best way of getting Scotland tickets. Me and a few mates are looking at the possibility of going to the upcoming euro qualifer against Czech Republic.

What's the best way of getting them as i'm sure the SSC get first choice ?

On trains it just gets dumped on the track to rot away, hence why they ask passengers not to flush the bogs while you're at a station.

Which is why I always, always flush at Paisley St James.

On a train from Prague to Vienna the bottom of the toilet was just a plastic hole fed directly onto the track, you could see the track whizzing past when flushing.

On a train from Prague to Vienna the bottom of the toilet was just a plastic hole fed directly onto the track, you could see the track whizzing past when flushing.

I was on a Bratislava to Brno train which had the same, only the lock jammed while I was in it and I almost ended up somewhere further along the line as far as Berlin. You can hear the tracks underneath whenever you flush a piss-flooded Scotrail bog as well.

When a tortoise pokes it's head in and out does it's spine expand and contract or buckle?

In one of the Star Trek films the enterprise is

rammed into another ship (think it's the one with the Jean Luc clone), and there's a huge crash. Well due to the lack of inertia in space would the Enterprise not just push the other ship along with no damage.

And yes I know it's not real life, was just wondering like.

When a tortoise pokes it's head in and out does it's spine expand and contract or buckle?

In one of the Star Trek films the enterprise is

rammed into another ship (think it's the one with the Jean Luc clone), and there's a huge crash. Well due to the lack of inertia in space would the Enterprise not just push the other ship along with no damage.

And yes I know it's not real life, was just wondering like.

Possibly not the best place to put it, but since over a week has passed, I shall ask the question. As te rather dubious winner of the musical chair quiz, I have the honour of hosting the next one. I was just wondering when those who were involved last time would like it played, do you want it soon as in a couple of days, or give it a while. Obviously new players are welcome as I reckon there are a fair few who didn't play last time.

So it's up to you the general p&b masses to decide, didn't see the nee for a new thread, clitterig up the board as I know many regulars peer in here every so often.

I'd be happy for it to start fairly soon.

I see Ian Tomlinson was 5 times the legal limit. I've always wondered about this, as the limit and roughly a pint is 2 units, does that mean he had had 5 pints or does it work like the richter scale where a quake of 4 is hundreds (thousands?) of times less severe than one of 8.

Sometimes in stories with drink drivers it says things like "HE WAS TWICE THE LEGAL LIMIT" and I've always wondered why they're getting so worked up as surely that means they've only had 2 pints. I've always put it down to journalistic sensationalism

EDIT: Actually, having thought about it is it something to do with how your body absorbs the alcohol?

Edited by madwullie

I knew this would happen, my question was aimed at zen archer (notice the zen in brackets) who quoted a previous post of mine with some words in bold and I've no idea why. Your question is easily understandable but I'm sorry I have no idea, when you think it's alcohol in your blood stream then double would be quite a big jump.

I see Ian Tomlinson was 5 times the legal limit. I've always wondered about this, as the limit and roughly a pint is 2 units, does that mean he had had 5 pints or does it work like the richter scale where a quake of 4 is hundreds (thousands?) of times less severe than one of 8.

Sometimes in stories with drink drivers it says things like "HE WAS TWICE THE LEGAL LIMIT" and I've always wondered why they're getting so worked up as surely that means they've only had 2 pints. I've always put it down to journalistic sensationalism

EDIT: Actually, having thought about it is it something to do with how your body absorbs the alcohol?

You can't really say how many pints the limit equates to because of how the individual absorbs and reacts to alcohol. I don't tend to drink anymore and I know that I wouldn't trust myself to drink after one pint, whereas you might feel perfectly ok to do it. The limit refers to the level of alcohol in your blood stream:

What is the drink driving limit?

In the UK the drink driving limit is:

35 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath; or

80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood; or

107 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of urine.

Twice the legal limit would be 70 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath, 10 times the limit is 350 micrograms of alcohol in 100 ml of breath, and so on.