Quick Question Thread

What is the best web browser in your own personal opinion?

IE is slow as f**k on my pc

Chrome sometimes crashes (something to do with plug in unresponsive)

It's doing ma tatties in sad.gif

firefox

I use 4 beta but 3.6 is great.

edit: is Adriano currently available on a free transfer since Roma tore up his contract?

Edited by theentomologist

What is the best web browser in your own personal opinion?

IE is slow as f**k on my pc

Chrome sometimes crashes (something to do with plug in unresponsive)

It's doing ma tatties in sad.gif

I always used IE, probably because it's the first browser I knew anything about, but, like you, I noticed it started going slow on my PC. I gave firefox a try and have used it ever since.

I also tried safari as that's what's on my iphone but I didn't like it on my PC.

This might be better suited to the gambling forum so ill post it there too, but im on the betfair site, and there is an option to bet on the scottish parliament election. As i understand it, a 'lay' bet is betting against something happening, so what is to stop me putting a ridiculous amount of money on the tories NOT getting the most seats? Basically what I am saying is what is the catch, because that is as close to a certainty as i can think of.

You will get crap odds and make next too nothing.

This might be better suited to the gambling forum so ill post it there too, but im on the betfair site, and there is an option to bet on the scottish parliament election. As i understand it, a 'lay' bet is betting against something happening, so what is to stop me putting a ridiculous amount of money on the tories NOT getting the most seats? Basically what I am saying is what is the catch, because that is as close to a certainty as i can think of.

Right, you would be the Bookmaker effectively, therefore you would need to offer someone an outrageous price (odds) for them to take the bet in the first place. Not knowing an awful lot about Politics I'd say around 100/1 might get you a nibble or two. In order to win £1 here, you would have a liability of £100. In short, you'd need to have £100 in your account to try and make £1. You would obviously make your money back as there is little or no chance at all of the bet going against you, but in order to lay something you need to have the money to back it up, in case your bet doesn't come in.

So, if I was to take you up on your bet of 100/1 for a tenner and somehow it came in, you would owe me £1000. If it didn't come in, you would have made a tenner.

A good story about laying happened at the start of this season. A chap on Betfair layed no corners in the Wigan V Chelsea game at 999/1. He was saying there would be at least one corner in the game and to try and win £15, he put up a liability of £15,000. In this game there were no corners so he lost £15,000 trying to win £15.

Follow?

You will get crap odds and make next too nothing.

Right, you would be the Bookmaker effectively, therefore you would need to offer someone an outrageous price (odds) for them to take the bet in the first place. Not knowing an awful lot about Politics I'd say around 100/1 might get you a nibble or two. In order to win £1 here, you would have a liability of £100. In short, you'd need to have £100 in your account to try and make £1. You would obviously make your money back as there is little or no chance at all of the bet going against you, but in order to lay something you need to have the money to back it up, in case your bet doesn't come in.

So, if I was to take you up on your bet of 100/1 for a tenner and somehow it came in, you would owe me £1000. If it didn't come in, you would have made a tenner.

A good story about laying happened at the start of this season. A chap on Betfair layed no corners in the Wigan V Chelsea game at 999/1. He was saying there would be at least one corner in the game and to try and win £15, he put up a liability of £15,000. In this game there were no corners so he lost £15,000 trying to win £15.

Follow?

Too complex Daddy :P

Pretty much what Adam said. It's not worth anything because the odds are so low and the liability in the unlikely event that Scotland goes blue would be horrific.

Betfair does have a Politics section, though. Most betting is to do with when party leaders will depart but they have SPE most seats as well. The best thing to do with the Politics stuff is to play the market with Betfair.

For example, during the Labour leadership election I put some money on David Miliband early on. When it became apparent in the news that it was a lot closer and that Ed Miliband might come close, the Betfair market was really slow to react (Ed was still on something like decimal odds of 3 so I then put some money on him if nothing else to cut my losses.) Because of the fact that the odds on the likes of Ed Balls were still there, albeit there wasn't a cat's chance in hell of it happening, it meant I was effectively betting on one of the Milibands to win, locking in a small but essentially guaranteed profit.

The same principle applies to extracting guaranteed value out of free bets, though obviously you need to use somewhere like Betfair to lay so you've covered all outcomes.

Edited by Ad Lib

Pretty much what Adam said. It's not worth anything because the odds are so low and the liability in the unlikely event that Scotland goes blue would be horrific.

Betfair does have a Politics section, though. Most betting is to do with when party leaders will depart but they have SPE most seats as well. The best thing to do with the Politics stuff is to play the market with Betfair.

For example, during the Labour leadership election I put some money on David Miliband early on. When it became apparent in the news that it was a lot closer and that Ed Miliband might come close, the Betfair market was really slow to react (Ed was still on something like decimal odds of 3 so I then put some money on him if nothing else to cut my losses.) Because of the fact that the odds on the likes of Ed Balls were still there, albeit there wasn't a cat's chance in hell of it happening, it meant I was effectively betting on one of the Milibands to win, locking in a small but essentially guaranteed profit.

The same principle applies to extracting guaranteed value out of free bets, though obviously you need to use somewhere like Betfair to lay so you've covered all outcomes.

Current odds on Bet365 are

Labour 1/5

SNP 10/3

Tories 125/1

LibDems 150/1

As I understand it, if you bet on both the Labour & SNP at the current odds, you're already over a 100% book, so there's no way you can make a profit i.e. if you put £150 on Labour to win and £30 on the SNP to win, you would get £180 back if Labour won (breaking even) and £130 if the SNP won (losing £50)

Obviously, if you punted on Labour now, and the SNP drifted to 5/1, or if you punted on the SNP now and Labour went to 3/10, then you could break even, but what's the point in that?

Current odds on Bet365 are

Labour 1/5

SNP 10/3

Tories 125/1

LibDems 150/1

As I understand it, if you bet on both the Labour & SNP at the current odds, you're already over a 100% book, so there's no way you can make a profit i.e. if you put £150 on Labour to win and £30 on the SNP to win, you would get £180 back if Labour won (breaking even) and £130 if the SNP won (losing £50)

Obviously, if you punted on Labour now, and the SNP drifted to 5/1, or if you punted on the SNP now and Labour went to 3/10, then you could break even, but what's the point in that?

Yeah pretty much. I made a very small profit on the Miliband brothers. My Excel spreadsheet (best way to keep track of your betting habits so you don't do anything stupid...) says I backed David Miliband at 1.51 with a stake of £57.47 on 12th September then backed Ed Miliband on 14th September at 3 with £26.50. Made me a measly £1.45 but it was a damned sight better that I switched before Ed's odds collapsed a few days later to about 1.5.

What you really need is for the SNP to drift a bit before having a bit of a surge. The book is more likely to drop below 100% that way.

Any decent (cheap) places to drink in Manchester City centre?

Not looking forward to the place being filled with Man City fans as in my experience most seem like total dicks. A few of them got chinned in Kyiv on Thursday as well so I'd rather be holed up in a decent boozer if it's all the same with everyone else.

What you really need is for the SNP to drift a bit before having a bit of a surge. The book is more likely to drop below 100% that way.

Yeah, but then you're really just trying to predict which way the book will move rather than betting on what you think will happen.

However, we've definitely moved away from the original question of "how can I make a profit by betting that the tories won't win". I suspect that no-one is likely to take the Tories side of that bet unless ridiculous odds are offered!

Any decent (cheap) places to drink in Manchester City centre?

Not looking forward to the place being filled with Man City fans as in my experience most seem like total dicks. A few of them got chinned in Kyiv on Thursday as well so I'd rather be holed up in a decent boozer if it's all the same with everyone else.

Ukrainian fans are hardly angels. Don't know why you're so obsessed with all things eastern bloc, but a good friend of mine was hurt in Kiev in 06 when the thugs that follow Ukraine attacked them so climb off your high horse.

Ukrainian fans are hardly angels. Don't know why you're so obsessed with all things eastern bloc, but a good friend of mine was hurt in Kiev in 06 when the thugs that follow Ukraine attacked them so climb off your high horse.

No one disputed that Ukrainians were not angels? Quite a few games per week see scenes a lot worse than the Old Firm game a few weeks ago. And what high horse?

Most Ukrainians are like most other - perfectly nice people, but like every other country in the world including Scotland it has it fair share of arseholes.

Edited by Milevskiy

Appreciate there's an E Chat Technology Forum,but thought I'd try here first as a more popular thread.

In the last day or so,every time I'm on the Internet,numerous addditional tabs keep appearing automatically,all of which are either linked to game sites, or telling me I've won something.

They're really starting to piss me off.

How if at all,can I stop these?

Cheers

Edited by Unleash The Nade