Quick Question Thread

The email one is interesting. Rugster's comment about the delay inherent in each line of a conversation is relevant but I still use emails rather than phone where I want to keep a paper trail so that the other party can't say "I never said that" later on.

For your assignment, add in the "virus attached" angle.

If i'm having a particular discussion on the phone where it seems quite important, after agreeing a solution verbally, i'll ask the person to put that into an email so I have the agreement in writing if it comes back to bite my arse.

So, I've got these two speadsheets, one with "updated" information and the original. Problem is, I didn't do the updating. Is there any way I can quickly compare and contrast the two spreadsheets?

What version of Excel are you using? If it's 2010, I believe that it is possible to have a split screen. If not, why not just copy and paste all the updated info onto a new worksheet in the original spreadsheet and you should be able to compare from that, although it can be a bit time consuming.

What version of Excel are you using? If it's 2010, I believe that it is possible to have a split screen. If not, why not just copy and paste all the updated info onto a new worksheet in the original spreadsheet and you should be able to compare from that, although it can be a bit time consuming.

Nah not 2010. Bah was hoping for some sort of "find and repalce" style function. time consuming it is then. Cheers anyway.

So, I've got these two speadsheets, one with "updated" information and the original. Problem is, I didn't do the updating. Is there any way I can quickly compare and contrast the two spreadsheets?

mmm, not that i'm aware of instead of good old fashioned having the two infront of you and playing spot the difference. In fairness, the person who did the changes should have highlighted the changes he/she made by colour coding or something similar.

The email one is interesting. Rugster's comment about the delay inherent in each line of a conversation is relevant but I still use emails rather than phone where I want to keep a paper trail so that the other party can't say "I never said that" later on.

For your assignment, add in the "virus attached" angle.

The flip side to that is management who bury obscure changes in policy beneath mountains of drivel that takes ages to sift through (and is easy to miss certain parts of) and then treat it as if they've done their job fully in informing staff of any changes in procedure.

Anyone got any advice on doing presentations.

Basically I've got a presentation to do in front of a small class (around 20), all of whom I know and am comfortable around. I'm a fairly confident guy and could talk away with any of them, so in theory this should be easy. However I'm properly nervous, I can expect shaky hands, heart racing, ackward body language, light headedness, the lot.

It's totally irrational but I can't do them, I'm considering skiving it that's how much I hate public speaking. Anyone get over this fear and if so, how did you do it?

Edited by Guest

Basically I've got a presentation to do in front of a small class (around 20), all of whom I know and am comfortable around. I'm a fairly confident guy and could talk away with any of them, so in theory this should be easy. However I'm properly nervous, I can expect shaky hands, heart racing, ackward body language, light headedness, the lot.

It's totally irrational but I can't do them, I'm considering skiving it that's how much I hate public speaking. Anyone get over this fear and if so, how did you do it?

Arent you supposed to turn up in your underwear, or something?

You either need to develop a sense of crushing superiority or the aloof dash of a young Richard Finlay.

The whole superiority thing is really easy for me but you'll have to work hard at it. Good luck.

Edited by vikingTON

In 6th year i could do presenations no bother as i knew the whole class as well as the teacher and could be completely comfortable around then and be myself. Doing presentations in 3rd year of Uni was different. We had one onfront of 'professionals' and a couple onfront of a class of circa 40 4th years. I hated the one onfront of the class even though most folk werent paying attention. The one ofront of the pro's went fine with no problems.

Cant really give you advicer except dont talk too fast and dont ramble on. Nothing is worse than a presentation that goes on and on. I dont know exactly what you are doing but try something interactive or light hearted early on to settle the mood in the room. This obviously wouldnt be appropriate in a lot of circumstances.

Arent you supposed to turn up in your underwear, or something?

I do that anyway, perhaps this is the cause of my nerves.

You either need to develop a sense of crushing superiority or the aloof dash of a young Richard Finlay.

The whole superiority thing is really easy for me but you'll have to work hard at it. Good luck.

Maybe I should go and see Danny Dyer's DJ set at Campus the night before. See if his cockney swagger wears off on me.

In 6th year i could do presenations no bother as i knew the whole class as well as the teacher and could be completely comfortable around then and be myself. Doing presentations in 3rd year of Uni was different. We had one onfront of 'professionals' and a couple onfront of a class of circa 40 4th years. I hated the one onfront of the class even though most folk werent paying attention. The one ofront of the pro's went fine with no problems.

Cant really give you advicer except dont talk too fast and dont ramble on. Nothing is worse than a presentation that goes on and on. I dont know exactly what you are doing but try something interactive or light hearted early on to settle the mood in the room. This obviously wouldnt be appropriate in a lot of circumstances.

Cheers, it's funny I'm not nervous about getting a poor mark, more not making a tit out of myself.

Again, I don't want people reading this imagining me as some quivering wreck, I can't explain how I can be confident and outgoing most of the time but a shaky mess in a presentation. Doesn't make sense but there you go.

Edited by Guest

I do that anyway, perhaps this is the cause of my nerves.

Maybe I should go and see Danny Dyer's DJ set at Campus the night before. See if his cockney swagger wears off on me.

Cheers, it's funny I'm not nervous about getting a poor mark, more not making a tit out of myself.

Again, I don't want people reading this imagining me as some quivering wreck, I can't explain how I can be confident and outgoing most of the time but a shaky mess in a presentation. Doesn't make sense but there you go.

Preparation is the key-the more you know the material you will be using, the more confident you should be. Do a dry run, or several, on your own or in front of your burd/close mates. And also remember eye contact with the crowd, that helps make a connection with them and also makes you feel better.

Preparation is the key-the more you know the material you will be using, the more confident you should be. Do a dry run, or several, on your own or in front of your burd/close mates. And also remember eye contact with the crowd, that helps make a connection with them and also makes you feel better.

This.

And dont make the presentation too complicated. Dont put in too many fancy transitions that require you to press a key, especially when you're in the middle of talking.

Other presentation top tips :

- tell them what your going to say, say it, then recap at the end

- allow about one slide per minute

- dont fill the slides up with text, otherwise everyone will be reading that and not listening to you. Use bullet points of the key things youre talking about and fill in the detail yourself - unless you need to use complicated diagrams etc to demonstrate research or something like that

- dont use lots of fancy animations/transitions, theyre too distracting

- do use images, if you can, but dont go overboard

Cheers, I shall prepare my arse off.

Get blind drunk beforehand, taht should help.

Interestingly before my last presentation (a group one) we all had a few before the presentation. At first I thought it was a great idea as I wasn't nervous at all before the thing started. Then I started speaking and noticed I was slurring my words, and spent the whole time shiting myself at the thought of the tutor noticing I was more tipsy than I first anticipated.

Might pop a couple of valiums.

Edit to add: All good advice Mr X, ta.

Edited by Guest

Don't try to wing it, either write the whole thing out, or bullet point it or whatever, but have a clear plan and structure.

Make a bit of eye contact with your closer pals in the class, or the lecturer.

Deliberately attempt to speak slowly, most people rush through these things, not only does it not look confident it makes the presentation hard to understand.

What's the subject? if there is scope for being light hearted i'd give a few jokes a bash. And a spot of audience interaction.

For example at one group presentation at Uni I handed out a quiz to see if folk had been paying attention, it helped us keep our structure and was a little bit different from everybody else, which always helps in terms of a mark. A sample question was something like -

Postmodernism features the absence of

a.) Universal Truth

b.)sugar

c.) The Mullet of Pat Sharpe

accompanied by a picture of Pat Sharpe in his fun house peek.

It was a little bit immature, and not really that funny,but it settled us down, got the class actually interested because we were taking a different approach

Heard a song at the scotland game last week about posh spice taht was funny and been rattling my brains trying to remember the verses anybody know the 1 im thinking off?

There are numerous versions of it.

"Posh Spice is a slapper, she loves the fuckin' boaby,

And when she's shaggin' Beckham, she thinks of Thomas Scobie*".

*Obviously you won't have heard this version at a full Scotland game as Scobie isn't a full cap, but you get the jist.