Quick Question Thread

There's one just up from Queen Street Station, like that row of kebab shops etc near Sainsburys and there's one there. Don't know how good it is, though.

Taruva or something to that effect. I go there, it's fairly good and they don't do much small talk.

I'm presuming this is one part of a question? Gut instinct not having done Physics in ages is that the frequency is not relevant to this part of the question. I'm going to hazard a guess that the next part is "calculate the wavelength" though.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure you just do s=vt = 1500/200000 = 0.0075m = 7.5mm

Edit: I'm not so sure on reflection. 7.5mm seems a very unlikely depth of penetration for an ultrasound scanner.

Second Edit: although it WOULD make a lot more sense if it were 7.5cm. I'm going to guess that you've accidentally put 1/100,0000 when you are meant only to group in 3s and there's a stray 0? That would mean the divisor in the s=vt equation would be one less power of 10. 7.5cm roughly equates to the expected distance you'd need to get through to the uterus. The alternative (if my calculation is right and your question is correct) is that the ultrasound was unsuccessful because the scanner was fucked or not set up properly, or that the pregnant mother was a Roborovski hamster.

That's the whole question and it's defiantly 1/10,0000.

That's the whole question and it's defiantly 1/10,0000.

If it's been written out as "10,0000" then I strongly suspect it's a typo. If you are just not very good with commas, then it should read "100,000"

7.5 mm is correct. If the time is 1/100,000s.

I agree.

But it's not. The time is 1/10,0000 apparently. :lol: Do you reckon it's a typo and it is 100,000?

Where is the question coming from? Is it a past paper? Is it a work-sheet? Is it a textbook? Is it "Sooky copied it down when teach wrote it on the black/white/brown/oriental board"?

Assuming I've not been a complete fucknugget and my reasoning is a load of bollocks, I am confident that either it should read 1/10,000 and not 1/10,0000 or the ultrasound scanner didn't get a very good picture of the baby in the uterus.

Is that the only part of the question or are there other bits? I'm struggling to remember if they deliberately throw in irrelevant bits of information. Either that's the case, or there should be another part of the question asking you to find the wavelength. The reason I think the latter is that you are given the frequency which can be used in conjunction with the speed to find it.

Where is the question coming from? Is it a past paper? Is it a work-sheet? Is it a textbook? Is it "Sooky copied it down when teach wrote it on the black/white/brown/oriental board"?

Assuming I've not been a complete fucknugget and my reasoning is a load of bollocks, I am confident that either it should read 1/10,000 and not 1/10,0000 or the ultrasound scanner didn't get a very good picture of the baby in the uterus.

Is that the only part of the question or are there other bits? I'm struggling to remember if they deliberately throw in irrelevant bits of information. Either that's the case, or there should be another part of the question asking you to find the wavelength. The reason I think the latter is that you are given the frequency which can be used in conjunction with the speed to find it.

There is not another part to the question and it's from a homework sheet our teacher gave us at the start of the term. It's not my fault. :P

So it could either be 1/10,000 (typo was an extra 0) or 1/100,000 (typo was comma in the wrong place?)

The frequency could just be a red herring. They did that sometimes through my class sheets.

The time being 1/10,000 seems like a decent shout. I would write down both and explain that you thought it could be either.

Yeah, OK. Thanks for the help.

There is not another part to the question and it's from a homework sheet our teacher gave us at the start of the term. It's not my fault. :P

So it could either be 1/10,000 (typo was an extra 0) or 1/100,000 (typo was comma in the wrong place?)

If you are handing this homework in (and in the absence of someone else coming along and telling you I used the wrong equation) show the working for it as printed, giving the solution 7.5mm. Then below it say:

"But that would be absolutely ludicrous and a waste of NHS funding because you wouldn't be able to see the baby if it only penetrated 7.5mm. On the other hand, it would make sense if an ultrasound scanner were to penetrate tissue by 7.5cm to display an image of the foetus in the uterus. Hypothesising that the quoted echo time has an erroneous extra zero in the denominator, given the otherwise unconventional placing of the comma, I enclose the amended working for the most conceivably operational equipment and data.

Loving you always teachy-weachy,

Sooky Swot"

The fabricated final two lines aside, you can now see why my teachers probably loathed me.

Edited by Ad Lib

If you are handing this homework in (and in the absence of someone else coming along and telling you I used the wrong equation) show the working for it as printed, giving the solution 7.5mm. Then below it say:

"But that would be absolutely ludicrous and a waste of NHS funding because you wouldn't be able to see the baby if it only penetrated 7.5mm. On the other hand, it would make sense if an ultrasound scanner were to penetrate tissue by 7.5cm to display an image of the foetus in the uterus. Hypothesising that the quoted echo time has an erroneous extra zero in the denominator, given the otherwise unconventional placing of the comma, I enclose the amended working for the most conceivably operational equipment and data.

Sooky Swot"

Will do. :lol:

If in doubt, consult an old football game, particularly management game editors ;)

I generally would... But I haven't any on my system. I tried searching for an FM Player readout on Google Images, to no avail.

I'm just trying to reconcile a few things in my head; that Scotland played 5-4-1 against France at Hampden (Caldwell), that we played the same shape against Ukraine away the following week and that all three of our central defenders or sweeper were right footed players then.

Why am I trying to clarify all of this (and some other stuff)? In order to devise my own set-up for the Spain game next month.

I don't suppose there's a facility for watching full-length re-runs of the above mentioned matches on the internet is there?

I dunno about Internet, but I know there was a DVD released for the France games. Certainly the home one anyway. Not sure if they'd still be selling mind you. Although I'd imagine someone has a copy that they could loan you.

Sooky Swot"

The fabricated final two lines aside, you can now see why my teachers probably loathed me.

At least that was a decent reason, my physics teacher just hated me, for no obvious reason.

He used to always tell me to work faster but not the person who sat next to me, eventhough I was a few questions ahead of him. Fucking monotone p***k.