Quick Question Thread

If PnB could help sort out a petty disagreement I've been having I'd appreciate it.

A friend of mine who's English, he's quite posh but because of years of living in Scotland occasionally slips out the odd Scottish sounding word or phrase when speaking. I noticed he described something cringeworthy as "sae cringy". I found this odd, because whilst Scots somethings say do as "dae" or from as "fi" I've never heard anyone say "sae" instead of so.

I let it slide but after hearing him say it a few times I had to pick him up on it and ask why he says "sae" when even Scottish people don't say that. He told me that Scottish people say this all the time, but I've never heard this. Do Scots sometimes say "sae" instead of so? Surely not.

i hear saere instead of sore. but not the word so replaced by sae

I'd love a bit of advice from PnB as I'm in a bit of a pickle about something.

Basically when I left school a few years back I got this pish job, and I wasn't in the best shape, so a couple of guys I worked with ripped the piss out of me for it regularly. I wouldn't have minded a bit of a slagging for it as fat people are a bit of a joke, but these guys took it way too far, to the point that i dreaded coming into work and my confidence was shot to bits.

Anyway, without wanting to sound arrogent now I'm in good shape, looking and feeling well, and I'm doing pretty well in all areas of my life. I should be the better man and forget it, but I keep thinking how much I'd like to add them on Facebook and point out that I'm doing alright for myself whilst they're stuck in a dead end job going nowhere. That's very tosserish and petty, but realistically I am am quite petty.

Should I be the better man or tell them to get it right up them? After all they were total bellends.

I'm quite vengeful too and getting it right up them appeals to my nature but I think they'd take an element of satisfaction out of the fact that you have been pissed off about their actions all of this time.

Just let them get on with their sub-standard lives, happy in the knowledge that you have made a good life for yourself regardless of what they used to think of you.

Mo Hair on King Street. smile.gif

As a slight aside, does that place do styling rather than just cutting?

Basically I want to go to a place where I shut up and they decide what looks best, being the person paid to do the job, rather than follow my instructions. I don't have a fucking clue about hair. Just make it good.

Physics homework for tomorrow.....

A pregnant mother undergoes an ultrasound scan. The frequency of the ultrasound is 4MHz and the speed in the soft tissue is 1500m/s. If the echo time (i.e. the time between transmitting the ultrasound and receiving it) is 1/10,0000s, calculate the depth of tissue penetrated by the ultrasound.

Can someone please help? I suck at Physics. :lol:

Physics homework for tomorrow.....

A pregnant mother undergoes an ultrasound scan. The frequency of the ultrasound is 4MHz and the speed in the soft tissue is 1500m/s. If the echo time (i.e. the time between transmitting the ultrasound and receiving it) is 1/10,0000s, calculate the depth of tissue penetrated by the ultrasound.

Can someone please help? I suck at Physics. :lol:

I'm presuming this is one part of a question? Gut instinct not having done Physics in ages is that the frequency is not relevant to this part of the question. I'm going to hazard a guess that the next part is "calculate the wavelength" though.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure you just do s=vt = 1500/200000 = 0.0075m = 7.5mm

Edit: I'm not so sure on reflection. 7.5mm seems a very unlikely depth of penetration for an ultrasound scanner.

Second Edit: although it WOULD make a lot more sense if it were 7.5cm. I'm going to guess that you've accidentally put 1/100,0000 when you are meant only to group in 3s and there's a stray 0? That would mean the divisor in the s=vt equation would be one less power of 10. 7.5cm roughly equates to the expected distance you'd need to get through to the uterus. The alternative (if my calculation is right and your question is correct) is that the ultrasound was unsuccessful because the scanner was fucked or not set up properly, or that the pregnant mother was a Roborovski hamster.

Edited by Ad Lib