Quick Question Thread

2 hours ago, Swarley said:

Spooky. That is the current topic on the Signal chat with my mates (yes, I used the plural). Thoughts were parking outside Edinburgh, Ingliston or Gyle way, and using the tram. 

The tram? Baby, we were born to run....

Best option for painting up some rather crappy garden furniture that I'm too stingy to replace but getting genuinely fed up trying to maintain? Been slapping cuprinol on it pretty much every year and by the end of the summer it looks like crap again.

2 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Best option for painting up some rather crappy garden furniture that I'm too stingy to replace but getting genuinely fed up trying to maintain? Been slapping cuprinol on it pretty much every year and by the end of the summer it looks like crap again.

I would have thought a quick sand to smooth it, some undercoat and then outdoor paint would do it. Like doing a door really.

2 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Cuprinol themselves suggest Ducksback…supposed to last 5 years.

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

Cuprinol themselves suggest Ducksback…supposed to last 5 years.

Will try and grab some of that tonight, it's all sanded and ready to be painted but we're definitely not getting 5 years out of it at the moment.

I'd have been tempted to blame the furniture but we also painted some big sleepers and the rain has pretty much washed it off of them as well.

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

What did ICTwife (oaksoft) get banned for this time?

I was hoping it was that made up story on the Tinder thread, but I rather think it was something else.........

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Can anyone recommend somewhere in Glasgow that replaces broken ipad screens?  Apple can absolutely get fucked with what they charge. 

The guy who stands outside the Apple Store on Buchanan Street with a sign saying "Cheap Apple Repairs" will be able to direct you, I'm sure.

Mrs Mathematics has suggested we get life insurance (I’m not worried, are you worried?) but I know the square root of f**k all about it all.

I’m in my forties and she’s in her thirties. One child. Middle class jobs. Is insurance worth it / essential / pointless? Any tips?

15 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Mrs Mathematics has suggested we get life insurance (I’m not worried, are you worried?) but I know the square root of f**k all about it all.

I’m in my forties and she’s in her thirties. One child. Middle class jobs. Is insurance worth it / essential / pointless? Any tips?

@Honest Saints Fan

32 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Life insurance is sensible if you have a big ongoing debt to service - e.g. If its to pay off the mortgage in case one of you snuffs it, then yes it makes sense.

Otherwise, you might already have some kind of Death in Service / Critical Illness cover lump sum alongside your pension with your middle class jobs.

If you already have both of these, sounds like she is looking to off you for the sweet cashola then f**k off to Spain with Juan the gardener...........

1 hour ago, mathematics said:

I don't know too much about life insurance but yes I'd recommend it if you have a child. Its morbid but if both of you died tomorrow who would look after your child and how would they pay for it? 

Also check if you have death in service policies with your work as this is a form of life insurance.

Critical illness too. It pays out a lump sum if you are diagnosed with certain conditions. Usually enough to pay your mortgage off or see you comfortable for a few years if you couldn't work (I've personally spent mine on holidays 🤣). 

Another good insurance if you have the means is income protection which pays out a percentage of your income every month until you retire. This is if you are unable to work due to a health condition. 

5 hours ago, mathematics said:

Term insurance. Stay the f**k away from whole life and (especially) universal policies. A few basics:

Term Life offers coverage for a specified period, usually at a fixed rate (there are some that have escalator price, I’d avoid those). At the end of the term, a renewal may be offered, but usually at a significantly higher rate (you’re older, and more likely to die).

Whole Life is coverage for as long as you pay with the “benefit” of accruing a cash value (because you’ve been paying a much higher rate).

Universal Life is coverage like whole life with the idea the interest on your cash value will start playing the premiums at some date in the future…but that all can (and did) go to shite if the interest rates fall.

Determine your insurance needs (hers may differ from yours…if one of you dies, what does the other need and for how long), preferably in the following periods…0-10, 11-20, 21-30 years. Consider buying a Term Policy each in an appropriate value, for the appropriate period. Remember that term policy rates increase on your birthday, so buying a term policy a month before you turn 50 is a bit cheaper per month (for however many years) than buying it after you turn 50.

Example: I purchased a 20 year term policy when I was 36, valued at $750,000, for $75 a month. It was chosen to cover my wife and daughters necessary costs for 7-10 years after I died (they would receive an income, but less than if I was alive). When I turned 56, they offered to renew it for 10 more years at $1,200 a month (yep, a 16 fold increase). Instead I now have a $200,000 10 year term policy that costs $200 per month, because that covers my reduced needs.

Edited by TxRover

On 17/05/2023 at 07:17, Fullerene said:

Complaint from ICTFCHusband. 😃

I think this is literally what happened.From what I read before the comments disappeared. I presume she deleted them because her other comments are still up so I believe but it says “guest” before her username.Her controlling abusive ex boyfriend kept reporting her account everytime she posted something.Apparently she got a warning or something so contacted them they removed it they confirmed it was in fact her ex ictfc husband doing the reporting. Told her she hadn’t violated any guidlines and that both the ex ictfc husband and herself could remain on the forum. However she decided to leave. From reading what she put in her last post I don’t think the tinder stories were made up at all. It’s sad that she was forced to leave the site.