Quick Question Thread

16 hours ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

How about Milngavie, another place where the pronunciation is completely at variance with the spelling.

I was once told the story of somebody invited to a party in Milngarvie but he never got there.

He tried to take a bus but they were all going to Milngarvie and none were going to Mill Guy.

5 hours ago, hk blues said:

image.jpeg.8ffa1af3ef891515d2d145b4c28705f1.jpeg

talking of Ken I read this in a Wikipedia entry on Russian WWII pilot Vasily Reshetnikov

"When he was shot down the second time, it took more than a week for him to get out of the enemy's rear. "

12 hours ago, Fullerene said:

I was once told the story of somebody invited to a party in Milngarvie but he never got there.

He tried to take a bus but they were all going to Milngarvie and none were going to Mill Guy.

My MIL lives in a street called Forglen Road.

Wife and I were there for the weekend as we were at a wedding or something - told the (English) taxi driver where we were going, wondered what bizarre route he was taking, til he said he was taking us to "4 Glen Road"..........................🤪

On 19/03/2023 at 21:16, Loonytoons said:

No Z in Scots.  As mentioned above, it's a yogh.

On 19/03/2023 at 21:19, The_Kincardine said:

Finzean does fit with the false 'z' or 'yogh'  model.  Just down the south Deeside road from Strawn Strachan which is just fucking weird.

Yet following that road just across the Mounth we have Edzell, which is (almost certainly) universally pronounced with the Z.   Maybe it's 'Edell', and everyone's doing it wrong all these years.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Yet following that road just across the Mounth we have Edzell, which is (almost certainly) universally pronounced with the Z.   Maybe it's 'Edell', and everyone's doing it wrong all these years.

Just keeked at wiki - and Edzell got its name in the 19th C - after a nearby hamlet.  Could well have been 'Edyill' or suchlike previously.

Anyway, I was in Southwark and Marylebone today.  Placename orthography is seldom consistent.  

Is there a term for people from New Zealand? I'm not talking about Maoris specifically, or "kiwis" but just the general term. I'm Thai, you are Chinese, he is South African, they are...from New Zealand?

19 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Is there a term for people from New Zealand? I'm not talking about Maoris specifically, or "kiwis" but just the general term. I'm Thai, you are Chinese, he is South African, they are...from New Zealand?

Mutton shaggers.

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Etiquette for buying tickets from someone online?

To me enquiring and agreeing to buy should be followed up with immediate payment. 

How long would you leave it before offering it to one of the half dozen offers you got?

When I've bought or sold it's been instant transfer when evidence of the ticket is shown. There's obviously an element of trust involved on both sides.

On 26/03/2023 at 10:34, invergowrie arab said:

Etiquette for buying tickets from someone online?

To me enquiring and agreeing to buy should be followed up with immediate payment. 

How long would you leave it before offering it to one of the half dozen offers you got?

Depends how close the event is. Hours away, payment within 10-15 minutes…days, payment within a hour or two…either way, warn the first buyer of the time allowed.

On 20/03/2023 at 11:07, 'WellDel said:

Inbetween Carluke and Lanark there's a village called Kilncadzow which used to have a fantastic wee bakers, where the cakes they sold were huge and an absolute fkn delight. It somehow gets pronounced Kil-Kay-Gee.

That was a brilliant wee bakers. The pies and sausage rolls were huge as well. 

On 20/03/2023 at 22:54, Fuctifano said:

Balloch (near Loch Lomond) and Balloch (near Inverness) having different pronunciations is a good one to confuse people. 

My mum's house was in culloden and she used to rent out spare room to students from the forestry college in Balloch. The amount of c***s, mostly from the central belt, who would refuse to believe the pronunciation was different from the one down the road was staggering. 

Also see  Avoch on the black Isle. Pronounced Och, and not even on a fucking island.

On 26/03/2023 at 14:56, Shotgun said:

I never knew you were Thai.

On 26/03/2023 at 14:56, Shotgun said:

The demonym is 'New Zealander' but 'Kiwi' is also fine.

On 21/03/2023 at 13:45, The_Kincardine said:

Just keeked at wiki - and Edzell got its name in the 19th C - after a nearby hamlet.  Could well have been 'Edyill' or suchlike previously.

Anyway, I was in Southwark and Marylebone today.  Placename orthography is seldom consistent.  

Is it a particularly nice place and maybe derives from ‘idyll’? (Or alternatively a hovel and the founders were being sarky)