Quick Question Thread

30 minutes ago, Swarley said:

FTFY

Screenshot 2023-03-17 132924.jpg

10 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Going through Dundee last night, I'm convinced that I saw a road sign at this point below (Googlemaps 2021) spelled as 'Couper Angus' (i.e. Couper with an e , not Coupar with an a)

Can anyone confirm or deny if there's been a signage f*** up?

image.thumb.png.39b642e09dea68f24c7bcc1e34b7146d.png

Junction at E. Marketgait and A92. 

Stand corrected, Angus Couper is an accountant in Oxfordshire.

We always used to stop at the Vicky Inn in Coupar Angus on the way to places like Forfar and Brechin. One time we noticed that the bus had turned off the motorway shortly after crossing the Forth Road Bridge. When we asked why, the driver said, "Youse are stopping in Couper, aren't you?" He was soon told the error of his ways but the c**t didn't return to the motorway and stuck to B-roads the rest of the way. The only time the traditional whip-round for the driver wasn't carried out.

How do you pronounce "Menzies"? Listening to a Podcast and a lassie called Danni Menzies is on. She pronounced her last name 'Min-is' claiming that how Scottish folk say it. Have to say it's news to me. Always pronounced it "Men-zies". 

Edited by 19QOS19

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

How do you pronounce "Menzies"? Listening to a Podcast and a lassie called Danni Menzies is on. She pronounced her last name 'Min-is' claiming that how Scottish folk say it. Have to say it's news to me. Always pronounced it "Men-zies". 

Ming-iss for me.

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It’s Mingis. 

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Ming-is.  The 'z' is a lost letter - the yogh.  See 'Finzean' as an example @kingjoey It rhymes with 'onion'.

Edited by The_Kincardine

Does John Menzies refer to itself as "Ming-iss", or did they decide to go for easy pan-British recognition? Also, I presume Ming the Voterless uses a shortened version, like "Dave"?

I've always referred to Menzies as "Ming-giss" for some reason, so I presume I've been incorrect with the hard 'g' all this time.

1 minute ago, BTFD said:

Does John Menzies refer to itself as "Ming-iss", or did they decide to go for easy pan-British recognition? Also, I presume Ming the Voterless uses a shortened version, like "Dave"?

I've always referred to Menzies as "Ming-giss" for some reason, so I presume I've been incorrect with the hard 'g' all this time.

Mingis. In fact they used to have a section of their website dedicated to how to pronounce it. 

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Put in my family chat and the older ones are saying Ming-is as well. 33 years old and have never heard this before :lol:

No Z in Scots.  As mentioned above, it's a yogh.  Mingis/Meengis is the correct pronunciation.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Mingisses.

That’s how we said it in the ‘70’s, while visiting Kirkcaldy from further south…your mileage may vary…

Wiki says different…surprise surprise:

“The name is traditionally pronounced — and still is in Scotland — /ˈmɪŋɪs/ (11px-Loudspeaker.svg.pnglisten) MING-iss. The current spelling arose when the similar-looking tailed variant of the letter 〈z〉 (i.e., 𝔷) was used as a substitute for the now obsolete letter 〈ȝ〉 (yogh) in the Scots language (Menȝies).[4] However, outside Scotland it is often erroneously given the spelling-pronunciation /ˈmɛnzz/ MEN-zeez. A Scottish limerick plays on the traditional, correct pronunciation:

There wis a young lassie named Menzies,
That askit her aunt whit this thenzies.
Said her aunt wi a gasp,
"Ma dear, it's a wasp,
An you're haudin the end whaur the stenzies!"[a]

The second and fifth lines are pronounced as though the <z> were a <ȝ>, making "thing is" and "sting is", to rhyme with "Menzies". "Wasp" rhymes with "gasp" in Scots.”

And Auntie Beeb has a different view point, although they do tie into the pronunciation of Dalziel as “Dee-ELL” in a sensible way:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4595228.stm

4 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Finzean isn't even the worst town name that does this kind of shite, that goes to Garioch. 

Pronounced Gie-ree.

Finzean does fit with the false 'z' or 'yogh'  model.  Just down the south Deeside road from Strawn Strachan which is just fucking weird.