Quick Question Thread

2 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Not really sure where to write this and I fully understand any backlash. I've a mates funeral tomorrow who felt as though this world wasn't for him anymore. I've never attended a funeral of someone who has taken that road - mainly because I hate how they felt they couldn't speak to me. This guy was great to me and one of the few (apart from here) who I did confide in and he listened. 

I feel more awful for going to this one if I never the others.

What is the consensus? I'll still be at the wake - as I was the others, mostly.

I think I'd try to treat it as if he'd died from any other illness, it's not really that much different when you think about it.

3 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Not really sure where to write this and I fully understand any backlash. I've a mates funeral tomorrow who felt as though this world wasn't for him anymore. I've never attended a funeral of someone who has taken that road - mainly because I hate how they felt they couldn't speak to me. This guy was great to me and one of the few (apart from here) who I did confide in and he listened. 

Just to add to my last reply, I spent at least a year or so having to get up multiple times a night to pish a tiny dribble, and never got that satisfying feeling of emptying my bladder, and developed a dull pain in my groin, but just thought it was just getting old so no point in bothering anyone about it. When I finally went to the doctor and he stuck his finger up my arse to find my prostate gland he more or less said Jesus f**k, that's huge, and sent me to the hospital. My point is not talking to someone when your depressed is pretty much the same as me thinking I was just getting old, he probably thought there was no point in talking about the way he was feeling because it he was just seeing the world as it was, instead of being a symptom of an illness.

(Still feeling top notch by the way, 3 years and a bit later...)

4 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

It is totally your choice, however a few thoughts:

1) The funeral isn’t a place where the means of a departure from life is judged, but instead a service for others processing the loss of the individual.

2) The loved ones of the departed gain support from others coming to show their feeling of loss and support.

3) He was taken by illness, a terrible illness that can strike anyone, any age and any situation. Mental illness is something that society is finally coming to grips with, and this is certainly a case of that.

4) You can go and remember the great mate he was. It wasn’t that he didn’t feel he could speak to you, it was that he wasn’t able to talk to anyone. Sometimes there simply isn’t anything that can be done, become some people never reach out. You cannot blame yourself for any of this.

5) Ask yourself if you might regret not going later. If you go to the wake before the funeral, you can judge if the funeral is for you based upon your reaction. I had a co-worker die shortly after I retired, so I went to the wake/visitation and found myself so overcome that I knew I should not attend the funeral..

17 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Just to add to my last reply, I spent at least a year or so having to get up multiple times a night to pish a tiny dribble, and never got that satisfying feeling of emptying my bladder, and developed a dull pain in my groin, but just thought it was just getting old so no point in bothering anyone about it. When I finally went to the doctor and he stuck his finger up my arse to find my prostate gland he more or less said Jesus f**k, that's huge, and sent me to the hospital. My point is not talking to someone when your depressed is pretty much the same as me thinking I was just getting old, he probably thought there was no point in talking about the way he was feeling because it he was just seeing the world as it was, instead of being a symptom of an illness.

(Still feeling top notch by the way, 3 years and a bit later...)

In 2019 my doctor checked my prostate too. I was 39 and went in with a pain in my knee. Not sure how I ended up on my side hugging my knees. 

I dare not go back to him with any ailment. 

Edinburgh folk:

I am at the National Museum in Chambers Street on Saturday. Where is a good place nearby to park? Will be there all day, and it needs to be close as I'm taking in equipment. Also needs to be an official-ish place that gives receipts. 

Cheers. 

31 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Edinburgh folk:

I am at the National Museum in Chambers Street on Saturday. Where is a good place nearby to park? Will be there all day, and it needs to be close as I'm taking in equipment. Also needs to be an official-ish place that gives receipts. 

Cheers. 

There are parking spaces up the middle of the street but not sure if you could stay there all day.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Edinburgh folk:

I am at the National Museum in Chambers Street on Saturday. Where is a good place nearby to park? 

Musselburgh. 

Seriously. Otherwise you'll likely be contributing a parking fine to Edinburgh Council's "this revenue definitely goes to road repairs and not Councillor's jollies" fund

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Edinburgh folk:

Cheers. 

Chambers Street is a nightmare to park on atm as all the buses go up due to North Bridge closure. The nearest place I'm aware of that you could leave car is Buccleuch Place which is a 5 min. walk from NMS. Max. stay is 4 hrs and it's £4.10/hr.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Edinburgh folk:

Cheers. 

George Square has a fair amount of parking or castle terrace car park both are expensive though. 

19 minutes ago, Empty It said:

George Square has a fair amount of parking or castle terrace car park both are expensive though. 

I have found an NCP one a little bit away. It'll probably have to do - I'll just do my He-Man bit and humph the stuff round. 

Going through Dundee last night, I'm convinced that I saw a road sign at this point below (Googlemaps 2021) spelled as 'Couper Angus' (i.e. Couper with an e , not Coupar with an a)

Can anyone confirm or deny if there's been a signage f*** up?

image.thumb.png.39b642e09dea68f24c7bcc1e34b7146d.png

Junction at E. Marketgait and A92. 

31 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Going through Dundee last night, I'm convinced that I saw a road sign at this point below (Googlemaps 2021) spelled as 'Couper Angus' (i.e. Couper with an e , not Coupar with an a)

You're best asking @Hedgecutter. That spooky b*****d seems to know every sign and street in Scotland. 

32 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

You can't trust anyone on here, you'll have to go back or you'll never sleep again.

38 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

You can go back and look at older pictures on Google maps. Looks like the same sign has been there since 2012 and always said Coupar Angus.

9 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Looks to be an f up. Canna find a place named Couper Angus