Quick Question Thread

10 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Anybody got any idea what this thing was originally used for?  Has 'Cleveland Metalworks' (USA) written into the glass.

59346780_PXL_20230204_1109150392.thumb.jpg.242776da69818ab0032a5ed7467eabf1.jpg245486551_PXL_20230204_1109283432.thumb.jpg.1a7384a56cd8918c34e95a4bbb8b78af.jpg

Could it be a demijohn?

The gizmo on the lid looks like it is a pressure relief valve to let off fermentation gasses.

7 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Could it be a demijohn?

The gizmo on the lid looks like it is a pressure relief valve to let off fermentation gasses.

Turns out that a basic Google search reveals the answer, doh!

Seems that it's a kerosene jug.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Anyone got any recommendations for selling jewellery? Other half is looking to flog a Cartier watch that she inherited from her gran when she died years ago and has never worn / will never wear. 

Feel like Ramsdens etc will give shite offers by default and more upmarket places will pull your pants down, not really sure where to start. 

58 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Anyone got any recommendations for selling jewellery? Other half is looking to flog a Cartier watch that she inherited from her gran when she died years ago and has never worn / will never wear. 

Feel like Ramsdens etc will give shite offers by default and more upmarket places will pull your pants down, not really sure where to start. 

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/info/valuation.htm

Other appraisal services are available..............

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Dickinsons real deal

20 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Post this on the 'watches' thread, they will have an idea.

Each time I come to Scotland I have to hire a car for the time I'm there. The prices are getting beyond a joke now.

Does anyone know of alternatives that don't appear on the usual search engines? I've used Arnold Clark before and they were fine but charge out of hours surcharges which doesn't always suit.

49 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Each time I come to Scotland I have to hire a car for the time I'm there. The prices are getting beyond a joke now.

Does anyone know of alternatives that don't appear on the usual search engines? I've used Arnold Clark before and they were fine but charge out of hours surcharges which doesn't always suit.

I'll hire you mine.

17 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'll hire you mine.

Honestly, I'd take that. 

One summer i was back for virtually the whole of the summer, I bought an old 307 and insured it for the time I was there which was much more cost effective. If it's only a week or so that's obviously a no go. They charge over 500 a week for a wee puddle jumper.

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

A "peer to peer" hire might be cheaper, companies like Turo or local companies can be a bit more reasonable. That said I think generally there isn't the supply to meet the demand hence the crazy prices.

3 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

The prices are pretty well back to normal now, they were ridiculous last year, over £100 a day. Rented a car a couple of months ago for £80, Friday to Monday which is more like back to normal. That was Enterprise, they're usually pretty good in my experience.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The prices are pretty well back to normal now, they were ridiculous last year, over £100 a day. Rented a car a couple of months ago for £80, Friday to Monday which is more like back to normal. That was Enterprise, they're usually pretty good in my experience.

Enterprise Car STOS.jpg

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I like Enterprise. We had a Mondeo estate off them and the wife managed to put a ding in the bumper. Fessed up on return (Edinburgh airport) and a girl took a look and said anything less than the size of a golf ball they don’t bother with.