Quick Question Thread

10 hours ago, MSU said:

Anyone got any experience of Camp America or any equivalent organization? I have a nephew back in Scotland who's interested in it and I'm not sure how reputable it is, or really know much about it at all. No one over here seems to have heard of it, because I guess why would they?

I applied once back in around 2000. I was very, very tempted to go.

Went to the interview in Edinburgh and the guy who was interviewing me (more of a chat) was explaining it. 6 days a week, 14 hours a day, shit money. But, he added, you get Sundays off and there might be pretty girls working there. The fact he kept touching my knee and his general creepiness made me decide not to go in the end.

11 hours ago, MSU said:

Anyone got any experience of Camp America or any equivalent organization? I have a nephew back in Scotland who's interested in it and I'm not sure how reputable it is, or really know much about it at all. No one over here seems to have heard of it, because I guess why would they?

Used to be the kind of thing people would do in their gap year, cheap way to spend some time in the US and maybe save enough for some travelling around. Haven't heard of anyone doing it for years.

Anyone seen this before? I get it every time I try to do a google search but I haven't clicked the Captcha box because it looks a bit scammy. Obviously I can't ask google...

About this page

Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. This page checks to see if it's really you sending the requests, and not a robot. Why did this happen?

This page appears when Google automatically detects requests coming from your computer network which appear to be in violation of the Terms of Service. The block will expire shortly after those requests stop. In the meantime, solving the above CAPTCHA will let you continue to use our services.

This traffic may have been sent by malicious software, a browser plug-in, or a script that sends automated requests. If you share your network connection, ask your administrator for help — a different computer using the same IP address may be responsible. Learn more

Sometimes you may be asked to solve the CAPTCHA if you are using advanced terms that robots are known to use, or sending requests very quickly.

22 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Anyone seen this before? I get it every time I try to do a google search but I haven't clicked the Captcha box because it looks a bit scammy. Obviously I can't ask google...

I used to get it when I did a lot of searches in a short time.

29 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

For now, use duck duck go…

Meanwhile download Malwarebytes Free and run it, declining the upgrades and stuff. That’ll give a good check.

Just now, tamthebam said:

I used to get it when I did a lot of searches in a short time.

Just watched the Bernie Madoff series on Netflix and I've been googling the names of people who likely knew exactly was going on while making a shit load of money out of his blatant Ponzi scheme. Getting a tad paranoid now! 

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Just watched the Bernie Madoff series on Netflix and I've been googling the names of people who likely knew exactly was going on while making a shit load of money out of his blatant Ponzi scheme. Getting a tad paranoid now! 

I can give you reassurance about this. Just simply PM me your bank details...

18 hours ago, hk blues said:

Trust Pilot has it at 4.4 out of 5.  The only 1-star reviews seemed to be related to the issues around Covid etc so maybe nothing to worry about.

16 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Went to the interview in Edinburgh and the guy who was interviewing me (more of a chat) was explaining it. 6 days a week, 14 hours a day, shit money. But, he added, you get Sundays off and there might be pretty girls working there. The fact he kept touching my knee and his general creepiness made me decide not to go in the end.

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Used to be the kind of thing people would do in their gap year, cheap way to spend some time in the US and maybe save enough for some travelling around. Haven't heard of anyone doing it for years.

4 hours ago, tamthebam said:

They advertised jobs in these camps when I was a student years ago.

I passed. A general loathing of snotty brats would have led to a recreation of the Jonestown massacre with me as the Rev Jim.

Cheers, folks. 

21 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Is it wrong for me to be mesmerised by your profile pic?

I had to buy a pair of door handles as part of a job I was doing today, the job was close to an excellent Ironmongers at Canonmills, so popped in to pick some up.

When the owner rang them thru, the price came up as £ 16.90

I didnt really want to ask, but is this a sign that the owner is a closet currant bun? 

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

I had to buy a pair of door handles as part of a job I was doing today, the job was close to an excellent Ironmongers at Canonmills, so popped in to pick some up.

When the owner rang them thru, the price came up as £ 16.90

I didnt really want to ask, but is this a sign that the owner is a closet currant bun? 

That was your cue to give him the handshake and then they’d have come down to a tenner. 

59 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

That was your cue to give him the handshake and then they’d have come down to a tenner. 

I have bought materials there before - its always good quality, but nae danger of a discount !!