Quick Question Thread

2 hours ago, Gnash said:

Ok, good to know.  The question was more about why some do, rather finding examples of those that didn't.

Might as well go the whole hog, think I'd call myself Peach Melba or something. 

9 hours ago, GordonD said:

Maybe to make a complete break from their previous life.

Yea, the world is still a terribly judgemental place, and maintaining a connection with your old identity can actually endanger some people. There are a decent number of people who transition and use a similar given name for familiarity and ease of transition (Michael to Michelle or such), but it is equally common for a choice of a name with not clear connection (Jasmine becomes Frank perhaps) where the person transitioning has felt comfortable with a name for years without understanding why. On surnames, they allow searches to find data more easily of maintained, especially with similar given names. If Bob Adams becomes Bobbi Adams, there is a decent chance someone searching for their name might make a connection, and while hiding their transition isn’t always a priority, it can often be at least somewhat necessary in some societies.

In the end it’s often a matter of personal preference, but can be one of life and death.

30 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Can one still purchase Tizer?

I had a scour of Tesco/Asda and even B&M yesterday but f**k all.

Amazon reckons Morrison’s has it - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Barr-105920621-Tizer-2-L/dp/B003BQL15I/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_f3_0o_morri?crid=2C6P90ONAWIMR&keywords=tizer&qid=1674827343&sprefix=tizer%2Caps%2C328&sr=8-1

ETA - lol - 

Organic Certification 

Where products are marked as organic, please note that Amazon EU is certified for retail and fulfillment of organic food, according to EU Organic Food regulations, issued by control body LU-BIO-04.

Edited by carpetmonster

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Thing on the news this morning about Holocaust Memorial Day. When did concentration camps start getting called death camps?

Six of the Concentration Camps were known, from 1941 on, as “Vernichtungslager”, or extermination camps. Chelmno, Belzec, Sobibor, Treblinka, Majdanek and Auschwitz-Birkenau were the camps, and were also called Death Camps. In my experience, they have been called Death Camps, as a general term, in the U.S. since the mid-70’s at least…fair chance that’s infected the language.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

In my experience, they have been called Death Camps, as a general term, in the U.S. since the mid-70’s at least…fair chance that’s infected the language.

Because Americans can't spell 'concentration'.

Anyone got any experience of Camp America or any equivalent organization? I have a nephew back in Scotland who's interested in it and I'm not sure how reputable it is, or really know much about it at all. No one over here seems to have heard of it, because I guess why would they?

8 hours ago, MSU said:

Anyone got any experience of Camp America or any equivalent organization? I have a nephew back in Scotland who's interested in it and I'm not sure how reputable it is, or really know much about it at all. No one over here seems to have heard of it, because I guess why would they?

Trust Pilot has it at 4.4 out of 5.  The only 1-star reviews seemed to be related to the issues around Covid etc so maybe nothing to worry about.