Quick Question Thread

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

Thought I could try moderation. It has never really been a concept I got on well with.

You know yourself better than us.

I've you've had no success with moderation in the past, that's the biggest indicator to your chances.

8 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

QQ for Bovrilites. Been working hard (6am-2am sone days!) recently and need to let my hair down. Going to a party tomorrow. Not had a drink for four and a half years. I quite fancy getting right back on it tomorrow. Is this a good idea?

I am a recovering alcoholic with nearly 6 years of sobriety. I don't know your circumstances or why you stopped, but If you have not drank for similar reasons then I would say absolutely do not drink.

I have drank after periods of sobriety and it has never been worth it. I could never magically be able to drink in moderation. It is not possible for me because I cannot stop after one or two.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

I hope you stub your other toe.

Been years since I stubbed my toe. It was after the first game of season 18/19 when we won 2-3 at Tannadice.

Was very painful. There was shouting and writhing. Was hobbling around for a couple of Been years since I stubbed my toe. It was after the first game of season 18/19 when we 2-3 at Tannadice.

Was very painful. There was loud cursing and floor based writhing. The toe needs 'clicked' every so often now (a few times a day) or it gets sore.

Anyway, what's brought on the desire to have some alcohol? 

Edited by DA Baracus

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

QQ for Bovrilites. Been working hard (6am-2am sone days!) recently and need to let my hair down. Going to a party tomorrow. Not had a drink for four and a half years. I quite fancy getting right back on it tomorrow. Is this a good idea?

No.

I do however recommend Lucky Saint lager. As close as you’ll get to the real thing. Finding somewhere open that stocks it at this time on Xmas eve may be something of a challenge I’m afraid. You got a 24hr Tesco??

6 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

4 hours ago, alta-pete said:

No.

I do however recommend Lucky Saint lager. As close as you’ll get to the real thing. Finding somewhere open that stocks it at this time on Xmas eve may be something of a challenge I’m afraid. You got a 24hr Tesco??

Had Guinness Zero recently and if I hadn’t known I’d have been hard pushed to tell, if that’s more easily available. 

Shandon, if you do end having a load of booze then hopefully the hangover isn't too bad and you ensure that you do two things; wear the right shoes and don't be too hard on yourself. You're shown that you can get on fine without booze, so a blow out isn't the end of the world and you can get right back on doing what has worked for you in terms of not drinking.

7 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

I’ve been in this boat every now and then over the last 20 years, but I guess years of seeing firsthand what an utter c**t drinking can make someone has made it easier for me to decide I just really didn’t need to. I honestly don’t regret not taking any of those drinks, and while I miss the variety and flavor of various beers, I’ve found that I prize being stone cold sober while all the morons around me get utterly shitfaced is well worth the small price.

Before that, I was extremely lucky to have realized I had a problem before something truly bad happened, and basically scared myself straight.

9 minutes ago, Madame RH33 said:

@Melanius Mullarkayhow the hell do you anchor anything onto Wimpy pour walls?!

With great difficulty. No fines concrete presumably. You can drill and maybe get an anchor in the hole but you might want to inject some kind of masonry resin in the hole before inserting the anchor.

(No Kenneth).

Depends on what or who you want to hang as well.

5 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

With great difficulty. No fines concrete presumably. You can drill and maybe get an anchor in the hole but you might want to inject some kind of masonry resin in the hole before inserting the anchor.

(No Kenneth).

Depends on what or who you want to hang as well.

Well there's the sex swing...........

Spark spent about 45min trying get a socket box to anchor. Its a fucking nightmare most the internal onto external have now had insulating, plaster and skimmed but nothing holds in it.

Edited by Madame RH33

36 minutes ago, Madame RH33 said:

Well there's the sex swing...........

Spark spent about 45min trying get a socket box to anchor. Its a fucking nightmare most the internal onto external have now had insulating, plaster and skimmed but nothing holds in it.

No easy fix I’m afraid. 

You could always build an A-Frame I suppose…

On 24/12/2022 at 17:38, BFTD said:

It rather depends on why you stopped in the first place.

If there's any kind of addiction or reliance involved, no.

Edit: I started eating sugar again in September. It was a very, very bad idea.

Last time I’d had a drink it was at the end of a 14 day sesh. Probably best if I just steer clear of it. Total sugar addict since quitting. Guzzle snickers and kitkats etc all the time. 

On 24/12/2022 at 17:42, johnnydun said:

Then, no. It will be difficult, unless you try some low alcohol content drinks, or stuff that fills you up?

Normally really like non ally stuff and had some terrific mocktails the other night at The Dakota.

On 24/12/2022 at 17:47, Richey Edwards said:

I am a recovering alcoholic with nearly 6 years of sobriety. I don't know your circumstances or why you stopped, but If you have not drank for similar reasons then I would say absolutely do not drink.

I have drank after periods of sobriety and it has never been worth it. I could never magically be able to drink in moderation. It is not possible for me because I cannot stop after one or two.

Thanks Richey. Same - never saw the point in stopping after one or two. 

On 24/12/2022 at 18:44, DA Baracus said:

Been years since I stubbed my toe. It was after the first game of season 18/19 when we won 2-3 at Tannadice.

Was very painful. There was shouting and writhing. Was hobbling around for a couple of Been years since I stubbed my toe. It was after the first game of season 18/19 when we 2-3 at Tannadice.

Was very painful. There was loud cursing and floor based writhing. The toe needs 'clicked' every so often now (a few times a day) or it gets sore.

Anyway, what's brought on the desire to have some alcohol? 

Got a scar on my arm from burning it on an oven whilst celebrating a win up there. Think it’s the time of year. Devil finds work for idle hands etc.

On 24/12/2022 at 19:08, alta-pete said:

No.

It’s mad but stores don’t sell non alcoholic beers outside the usual booze hours. 

On 24/12/2022 at 23:35, Eednud said:

No no. No no no no..

On 24/12/2022 at 23:39, carpetmonster said:

Had Guinness Zero recently and if I hadn’t known I’d have been hard pushed to tell, if that’s more easily available. 

Been meaning to try that, ta for reminder 

On 25/12/2022 at 00:31, DA Baracus said:

Shandon, if you do end having a load of booze then hopefully the hangover isn't too bad and you ensure that you do two things; wear the right shoes and don't be too hard on yourself. You're shown that you can get on fine without booze, so a blow out isn't the end of the world and you can get right back on doing what has worked for you in terms of not drinking.

That’s sort of my thinking. Been reading about a woman who started a plan called Moderation Management. She got smashed, tan someone over then topped herself!

On 25/12/2022 at 00:36, Mr. Alli said:

Look at it this way Shandon, I'm the hangover might be that bad it makes you go right back on the wagon. enjpy yourself. Drink in moderation.

Went to a wee party and is was alright without a drink in the end as we had a good laugh. Probably tougher at parties/weddings etc where you hate everyone and can’t drink to blot out the dullness.

On 25/12/2022 at 00:44, TxRover said:

I’ve been in this boat every now and then over the last 20 years, but I guess years of seeing firsthand what an utter c**t drinking can make someone has made it easier for me to decide I just really didn’t need to. I honestly don’t regret not taking any of those drinks, and while I miss the variety and flavor of various beers, I’ve found that I prize being stone cold sober while all the morons around me get utterly shitfaced is well worth the small price.

Before that, I was extremely lucky to have realized I had a problem before something truly bad happened, and basically scared myself straight.

Thanks. Had about 20 years of scares that should have set me sober. Hope you’re doing okay with it, especially at this time of year.

On 25/12/2022 at 01:13, tamthebam said:

There's strikes in the NHS just at the time Shandon decides to start drinking again.

I don't see this ending well....

4 and a bit years with no drinking injuries. Definitely feel a bit of remorse at the work drying up for A&E types. 

On 25/12/2022 at 09:37, GordonD said:

I'm no expert in this but I have to think the answer must be No. 

probably right 

On 25/12/2022 at 13:26, Alert Mongoose said:

The pressure is all from within really. Seems I’m less of a nuisance sober.

Sorry to take up so much P&B bandwidth. Going to try and start training again in the new year to channel my energy etc. Thanks so much to all for the positive advice. Go such long spells not even thinking about a drink so when cravings come along and get the claws in it’s quite all-consuming and scary.

32 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Thanks. Had about 20 years of scares that should have set me sober. Hope you’re doing okay with it, especially at this time of year.

Thanks, but I’m pretty much over the hump, unless I do something stupid. I’m now learning how not to be co-dependent, and that’s a real pisser compared to not drinking.