Quick Question Thread

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Just finished my last class. Right now is the maximum amount of time before next year's teaching.

9 and a half months of peace.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Who broke into my house last night and smashed my testicles with a hammer when I was sleeping?

Walking about this morning like John Wayne. No clue why. Just feel like I've been booted in the baws.

Karma, cunto

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

He's in no state to do anything.

He's just out of hospital after a fairly serious operation on his hand. Whole arm in a cast.

The prime suspect is out of the picture I'm afraid...

So he organised himself an alibi! Doesn't mean he wasn't behind it.

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

If I buy a Land Rover is it mandatory to get a personalised number plate or can you just use a normal one?

Stick with the normal one. You'll need the cash to pay for the wellies and shotgun.

51 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

If I buy a Land Rover is it mandatory to get a personalised number plate or can you just use a normal one?

Doesn't matter as long as you make sure you're constantly tailgating and when you park up take atleast 3 spaces preferably disabled or parent and child spaces.

9 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

It’s not mandatory but, if you do, make sure you get a good one that will outlast both you and the car.

DD 1 (if available) apart from being an appalling postcode, is probably beyond your reach (no offence, obvs) but equally probably a worthwhile investment for your weans once you’ve croaked.

However these sorts of abominations from the DVLA that they sell to simpletons are an immediate £250 down the drain…

4705A03F-56AF-467F-93D4-C01CB15E415C.png

I have a pile of DVDs, a basic (now redundant) laptop with a DVD/CD reader slot thing, a far newer fancy modern laptop that doesn't have a DVD/CD drive, and an external hard drive.

What's the best process/free* apps for getting the programmes/films into a non-watermarked digital format on my newest laptop.  Are mp4s old sh*te these days? 

(All Windows, i.e. no Mac stuff)

*could be tempted by a moderate software licence fee if it'll be worth it.

How many grams of dried pasta do folk on here have per serving? I've noticed that the packet I'm using says 75g, but I routinely have 250g, and I'm not exactly Angus MacAskill.
Iv cooked 250g of pasta before and can confirm that's a fucking enormous plateful.

I cannot confirm or deny also having tackled such a plateful.

75g not enough though.

42 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

How many grams of dried pasta do folk on here have per serving? I've noticed that the packet I'm using says 75g, but I routinely have 250g, and I'm not exactly Angus MacAskill.

Very annoyingly given the propensity of 500g bags, about 230g usually does me a single serving. Unless it's spaghetti, in which case however much I put in is never enough.

42 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

We’re currently swapping between Hello Fresh and Gusto and they provide 85g pp portions. Looks tiny compared to the piles I used to dish up but it is indeed an appropriate portion. 

44 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

75-100g per person depending on what you're serving it with

Very annoyingly given the propensity of 500g bags, about 230g usually does me a single serving. Unless it's spaghetti, in which case however much I put in is never enough.
I will admit, if pasta came in packs of 400g, I'd probably eat 200g per serving.

When I make a tomato based sauce I find that one tin of tomatoes to 250g pasta is a good ratio. f**k knows what those on 75g portions do.

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I have a pile of DVDs, a basic (now redundant) laptop with a DVD/CD reader slot thing, a far newer fancy modern laptop that doesn't have a DVD/CD drive, and an external hard drive.

What's the best process/free* apps for getting the programmes/films into a non-watermarked digital format on my newest laptop.  Are mp4s old sh*te these days? 

(All Windows, i.e. no Mac stuff)

*could be tempted by a moderate software licence fee if it'll be worth it.

From PC Mag…I’ve used this program before, it works.

“Handbrake(Opens in a new window) is a free program for Windows, macOS, and Linux, but it's a bit more complicated than WinX DVD Ripper. Handbrake can rip your personal videos, but does not support the removal of copy protection. For that, you will need to get a little help from the web.

Find a file online called libdvdcss-2.dll. You should be able to locate it on a few different websites, such as the VideoLAN download index(Opens in a new window). VideoLAN offers the excellent VLC Media Player software. The libdvdcss-2.dll can decrypt DVDs encrypted with a type of copy protection called Content Scramble System (CSS). 

Download the file and copy it to the C:\Program Files\Handbrake folder. Then restart Handbrake, and now it should be able to rip a DVD encrypted with CSS. To begin a new rip, the program asks you to choose a source, which can be a single video file, a folder of files, or the DVD directly. 

You can then choose the format for your video output from among a few dozen types, including those for PCs, the web, mobile devices, game consoles, and set-top boxes. Pick a destination folder and create a name for your video file. Tap Start Encode to trigger the rip, then segue to the destination folder when finished and double-click the file to play the video. 

I was able to rip both my own personal videos and a copy-protected video, once I downloaded the file from VideoLAN. Handbrake can be slow, especially when dealing with long videos. Be prepared to take a nice, long coffee break while your DVD is ripped.“