Quick Question Thread

12 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Have people here dropped the F-bomb whilst talking to their parents?

My mum hated course language for the first half of my life. Any time someone used a four-letter word, even on the telly, you'd heard an involuntary tut from over in the corner. If it became an extended series of expletives (like when watching a Billy Connolly performance, for example), the room would eventually receive a lecture on "unnecessary language".

She's elderly now, and we'll quite happily sit together and call everybody all the c***s under the sun. No idea when the change occurred, but it was nothing to do with me being a child, as it continued into my early twenties, at least.

34 minutes ago, BFTD said:

My mum hated coarse language for the first half of my life. Any time someone used a four-letter word, even on the telly, you'd heard an involuntary tut from over in the corner. If it became an extended series of expletives (like when watching a Billy Connolly performance, for example), the room would eventually receive a lecture on "unnecessary language".

She's elderly now, and we'll quite happily sit together and call everybody all the c***s under the sun. No idea when the change occurred, but it was nothing to do with me being a child, as it continued into my early twenties, at least.

FTFY

14 hours ago, BFTD said:

My mum hated course language for the first half of my life. Any time someone used a four-letter word, even on the telly, you'd heard an involuntary tut from over in the corner. If it became an extended series of expletives (like when watching a Billy Connolly performance, for example), the room would eventually receive a lecture on "unnecessary language".

My maw and all of her 4 sisters were devout adherents of the "buckin'" school of expletives. I remember as a child asking what this was all about and if it was a 'bad word'. I was told it wasn't.

However, the first time she heard me using 'buckin' in the house, I got leathered. When I complained in the strongest possible terms at the unfairness of this situation, her response was "Aye, but you're jist a buckin' bairn...."

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

4 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

My maw and all of her 4 sisters were devout adherents of the "buckin'" school of expletives. I remember as a child asking what this was all about and if it was a 'bad word'. I was told it wasn't.

However, the first time she heard me using 'buckin' in the house, I got leathered. When I complained in the strongest possible terms at the unfairness of this situation, her response was "Aye, but you're jist a buckin' bairn...."

I'm not sure if "bucking" is better or worse than "freaking", which I even heard used in a bucking commercial the other day  :yucky

Clearly "feck" is still the acceptable replacement for the bad f-word. You know the one. Worse than feck, Father.

My Mum was a trooper as the say, every second word was fuckin', she took this from her father (my grandfather) who was an old miner long retired when I was around. My lasting memories of the old guy, was he had a wee scottie dug. Name was 'b*****d face'.

When my dad swore, which was like a blue moon. We all knew something was not good.

I swear all the time, nae c**t knows what I'm saying tho.

1 minute ago, SlipperyP said:

My Mum was a trooper as the say, every second word was fuckin', she took this from her father (my grandfather) who was an old miner long retired when I was around. My lasting memories of the old guy, was he had a wee scottie dug. Name was 'b*****d face'.

When my dad swore, which was like a blue moon. We all knew something was not good.

I swear all the time, nae c**t knows what I'm saying tho.

I had a great-uncle who I was very fond of when I was wee - he was like an irascible auld Santa figure to me. Never heard him use a naughty word.

Didn't see him for a few years, until I came to visit on my own in my teens, and as soon as he saw I was beyond a certain age, everyone and everything was a c**t. Seriously staggering levels of harsh language that would make Popeye blush. Mind-blowing stuff for me at the time.

I miss the auld c**t.

4 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

'Feck' isn't even a swear word and apparently has several meanings :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feck

In a 1998 interview on Nickelodeon, an appearance by the teenage Irish girl group B*Witched prompted a viewer complaint alleging that one of its members had said "f**k off" on air. Nickelodeon maintained that the singer had in fact said "feck off", which they described as "a phrase made popular by the Channel 4 sitcom Father Ted", but the phrase was still found to be in breach of the ITC Programme Code and the complaint was thus upheld.

:lol: