Quick Question Thread

"Look at that idiot crossing the road.  I don't think he saw me.  I swear he didn't see me.  What an idiot.  Yes I am supposed to stop but what if I didn't.  Honestly what an idiot."
Giving them a wave proves you did see them and you are not an idiot.
That's my theory.
Plenty of drivers don't stop for pedestrians waiting at zebra crossings, which is why the ones who do get a wave of gratitude from me.
That's true of most things in life, actually. So many people are entitled c***s that, when someone actually stops to do the thing they're supposed to, I'll give them some kind of acknowledgement that they did A Good Thing. We don't need even more folk giving up and deciding to only do what benefits them personally at any given moment.

A fair theory. I assume you wave at cars stopped at red lights as well then?

45 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

From a quick look on Amazon they are fucking bright (10000 lumens) and change colour to suit whatever activity you are doing. Do you put your sunglasses on?

Of course not. I stamp about, muttering under my breath and never formally raise the issue or make a simple request to point it the other way.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
17 minutes ago, hk blues said:
Don't cars mostly stop at red lights for the benefit of other cars, and their own safety, rather than for pedestrians?

My point is much like a zebra crossing, they're obligated to stop.

Of course. But, on the zebra crossing they are stopping for you, at traffic lights they are stopping for other vehicles rather than you.

I'm not thanking them for stopping, I'm acknowledging their action.

Of course. But, on the zebra crossing they are stopping for you, at traffic lights they are stopping for other vehicles rather than you.
I'm not thanking them for stopping, I'm acknowledging their action.

Do you wave at a car stopped at a red light when you pass it in your car going through a green then? [emoji14]

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Do you wave at a car stopped at a red light when you pass it in your car going through a green then? emoji14.png

Take a look at the link I've added - it pretty much nails it in terms  of why we do it and why we should continue to do so.  Are you "The Truth Teller" by any chance? 😉

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4406206#:~:text=It is still polite to,even though it's their job.

Do SAD lamps actually work?
I read a bit about them a few years ago, the "science" is pretty dubious/inconclusive tbh. There's not really a consensus or hard evidence they work.
A boy at work bought one, he was notoriously crabbit/temperamental. Whenever he was ranting aboht something I used to lean over in silence, and switch the sad lamp on. This acted as a catalyst for a heads gone every time, it was fucking great.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

A fair theory. I assume you wave at cars stopped at red lights as well then?

No, that seems to be something that drivers are more afraid of doing. I could count on the fingers of one hand the times that I've seen a car flagrantly charge through a red light, but I'd estimate that maybe 10% of times I've been at a zebra crossing, there's been some arsehole who's just ploughed straight through. Some drivers only seem to stop if there's a pedestrian directly in front of their car that might damage the bodywork.

I assume the penalties are either worse for running a red light, or are at least perceived to be.

4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

They work for me. I had an "extreme" vitamin D deficiency a few years back (apparently three-quarters of Scots are low on vitamin D), and the doctor advised that it might be worth getting one on top of the supplements I was prescribed. It makes a big difference to the amount of energy I have during the winter - I feel like I'm just dragging myself around through a veil of fog otherwise. Apparently sunlight helps our bodies to process vitamin D, so we can consume as much of it as we like, but without enough UV light we're struggling.

I leave it at the edge of my desk off to the side for an hour in the mornings (if I'm at home). Unfortunately, the bulb died in my current one last year, and the LED replacement I got doesn't seem to work as well (I notice there's been some debate online about how good the LED ones are). So, I'm entering the foggy stage again just now  :(

Edited by BFTD
Scary Bear

On 16/11/2022 at 02:07, Scary Bear said:

Have a mate with bipolar who swears by hers when she's down. She did say they need to be over a certain size and strength to do much tho - 10,000 lux and 12" x 12", I'm pretty sure. 

ETA - as a riff on what Dave said, I do take Vitamin D in the winter. Wee skooshy one where it's suspended in coconut oil. Tastes shite but it does make my mood noticeably better. 

Edited by carpetmonster

On 15/11/2022 at 17:31, DiegoDiego said:

Any recommendations for a good pub lunch in Stonehaven? Thinking about stopping there before the Cove match in a couple of weeks.

Ship Inn down at the harbour. If you're into Belgian beer, Marine Hotel is a few doors down and also does food.

5 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Have people here dropped the F-bomb whilst talking to their parents?

I've only ever used it once with my old man, and it was at him rather than to him.  Use it much more with my mum.  My young lad (10y.o.) uses it much more than he should with both me and his mum.  I haven't heard him use it with other folk though, thank f**k!

10 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Mrs. RN#2 claimed they did.

She also committed suicide, so I’m not sure how reliable her judgement was.

Sorry about your missus.

Well, I’ll give it a go and cross my fingers. It’s supposed to turn up today.

10 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Have a mate with bipolar who swears by hers when she's down. She did say they need to be over a certain size and strength to do much tho - 10,000 lux and 12" x 12", I'm pretty sure. 

ETA - as a riff on what Dave said, I do take Vitamin D in the winter. Wee skooshy one where it's suspended in coconut oil. Tastes shite but it does make my mood noticeably better. 

I take cod lover oil capsules and vitamin D tablets. Haven’t noticed them making much of a dent in my low moods. Where do you buy the vitamin D in coconut oil? I’ll give that a bash.

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I take cod lover oil capsules and vitamin D tablets. Haven’t noticed them making much of a dent in my low moods. Where do you buy the vitamin D in coconut oil? I’ll give that a bash.

Amazon in the US mate. Can’t see the exact same brand in the UK but this one is the closest to the dosage. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BetterYou-Dlux-Vitamin-Daily-Spray/dp/B007DIJJ0O/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=vitamin+d3+k2+spray&qid=1668777664&quartzVehicle=866-64&replacementKeywords=vitamin+k2+spray&sr=8-3

You can get stronger ones that’ll give you  the full day’s allowance in one skoosh, but the one I use takes 4 so I just take it as and when needed - this one looks to be the closest equivalent on Amazon UK.