Quick Question Thread

On 04/09/2022 at 01:55, DA Baracus said:

When folk say things about a person like "Ach that's no age at all" or "They were too young" of "They had their whole life ahead of them" or similar pish, what is the age limit they mean?

When is it time for a single person to pack it in?

When/how/should someone go about booking in to a Swiss resort? Not a literal booking but one metaphorically just in case

My Granny is 100, no she at all, whole life ahead of her yet......

On 04/09/2022 at 01:55, DA Baracus said:

When folk say things about a person like "Ach that's no age at all" or "They were too young" of "They had their whole life ahead of them" or similar pish, what is the age limit they mean?

When is it time for a single person to pack it in?

When/how/should someone go about booking in to a Swiss resort? Not a literal booking but one metaphorically just in case

The older you are, the higher it seems to climb. I've heard retired people saying that fifty year olds were still young. No, they're just younger than you.

It stems from people finding it difficult to accept that their remaining years are fast running out, and their existence becoming ever-more irrelevant. It seems incredibly common for people to think that middle-age starts at around 50 and runs right up to retirement, which would mean they're going to live to a minimum of 100. The Office for National Statistics would like a word, especially if you live in the East End of Glasgow.

On 19/09/2022 at 12:34, Bairnardo said:

Anyone know of a good day out, hospitality wise in the lower leagues? Thinking lower down the pyramid, iv heard few folk mention various grounds that do a package that mainly consists of cans in a portacabin style efforts... Where is the best?

Falkirk

20 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I have a fair amount of socks the same brand that have come in white, grey and black. And a few pairs of novelty ones as well. Yet I only have holes in the black socks. This happen to anyone else? Bizarre.

Im guessing you’ll predominately wear the black socks to work to pound up and down the carriages but will use the white ones while scratching yer baws in your jobby catchers on rest days; greys get an easy shift somewhere in the middle? 

32 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Im guessing you’ll predominately wear the black socks to work to pound up and down the carriages but will use the white ones while scratching yer baws in your jobby catchers on rest days; greys get an easy shift somewhere in the middle? 

What's he doing pounding up and down the carriages?

I did think that but I tend to wear the grey ones as much as the black ones tbh; mainly because I know there's less chance of the grey having a hole in them...
What's he doing pounding up and down the carriages?
Indeed. I do my pounding exclusively in the cab now.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I have a fair amount of socks the same brand that have come in white, grey and black. And a few pairs of novelty ones as well. Yet I only have holes in the black socks. This happen to anyone else? Bizarre.

Enzymes in your semen have degraded the fibres in your black w**k socks. 

In future, spread the love to the grey and coloured ones too. 

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

They aren't black, just very very very very dark blue 

Never buy black socks in a normal shop. They'll shaft you every time 

Enzymes in your semen have degraded the fibres in your black w**k socks. 
In future, spread the love to the grey and coloured ones too. 
I avoid black socks for this purpose in case of fluff/they are generally holey and I don't want any unexpected surprises...

On 02/07/2022 at 16:01, welshbairn said:

Since you're here, we've got a downstairs gas boiler that fills an upstairs storage tank with hot water. Had a regular boiler service and the guy said the expansion vessel above the storage tank is full of water but it's not covered by our policy. He said he was going to get back to the company to see if he could sort something out, but we haven't heard anything since. I think it's the first time anyone's actually checked the storage tank for about a decade, so it's probably been like that for years. What's the worst that could happen? Should I get it sorted ASAP or wait for the next service to get it fixed?

On 02/07/2022 at 16:46, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I'm assuming it's an unvented hot water cylinder you're referring to, the expansion vessel is inexpensive and can be easily replaced, however, the person doing the work 'should' be qualified to do so.

Woops. Didn't get round to sorting it and just got a call from home saying it's blown, water everywhere and the sitting room ceiling below has collapsed. I'm on holiday in Sicily. :bag

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Woops. Didn't get round to sorting it and just got a call from home saying it's blown, water everywhere and the sitting room ceiling below has collapsed. I'm on holiday in Sicily. :bag

Talk to me about Sicily. I need tips for stuff to do end of October.