Quick Question Thread

31 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

The Lee Garden Chinese takeaway in Lochgilphead still has Chicken Maryland as number 64 on the menu.

I've never even considered purchasing it.

The most surprising thing about that post is to learn that Lochgilphead has finally got a Chinese restaurant.  That’s progress!

Historically bananas were imported into the USA via the port of Baltimore - hence chicken with banana became Chicken Maryland.  Maybe they tried Chicken Baltimore but that didn't sell well.
There used to be a company called the Inverness Banana ripening company - so maybe the Scottish equivalent would be a Chicken Inverness.  .. or maybe not.
Inversneckie pecky.

4 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Chicken Maryland is a breaded chicken breast with bacon, banana and pineapple. Genuinely.

I thought it was just a fried chicken leg in spicy bread crumbs, that is genuinely disgusting. Thank f**k I swerved it on the menu all these years. 

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Had anyone ever had an omlette in an Indian and what is chicken maryland?

Sounds like I'm in a bit of a minority, but I used to like a Chicken Maryland now and again from the Chinese, though I've not had one for a few years now.

Edited by Soapy FFC

3 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Historically bananas were imported into the USA via the port of Baltimore - hence chicken with banana became Chicken Maryland.  Maybe they tried Chicken Baltimore but that didn't sell well.

Too confusing considering that chicken balti is on every Indian menu.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

The most surprising thing about that post is to learn that Lochgilphead has finally got a Chinese restaurant.  That’s progress!

Ocht away man. The 1970s called - they want their patter back. 

17 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Too confusing considering that chicken balti is on every Indian menu.

Maybe Baltimore is twinned with Birmingham where the Balti was invented?

Spoiler

It isn't, and the second bit is disputed.

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Go to any Chinese restaurant in Dundee in the late 60s or early 70s and the ‘British’ option on the menu was Chicken Maryland.  There’s a Chinese restaurant in Playa Blanca today who still does that!

I don't remember seeing it on a Chinese menu but I liked Chinese food so wouldn't have looked beyond it. I do remember ordering it in The Himalaya Indian restaurant next to the old cinema as I wasn't a fan of such foreign muck in those days I.e. 1980.

16 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Chicken Maryland is a breaded chicken breast with bacon, banana and pineapple. Genuinely.

Our antipodean chums use the term to describe the whole leg of a chicken (ie thigh and drumstick still attached to each other)

I ordered Chicken Maryland from a takeaway once out of curiosity, and was given a Bernard Matthews-style slice of breaded chicken with chips. Wish I'd known to demand my pig bits and fruit too, but I doubt it'd have helped.

4 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

On that subject, who ever orders a Baked Potato from a takeaway? 

No but I did go to Spud U Like (RIP) in Dundee for one and they asked if I would mind waiting 45 minutes for them to cook one.

I said actually I would mind and enquired if I had surprised them with my request. 

21 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

No but I did go to Spud U Like (RIP) in Dundee for one and they asked if I would mind waiting 45 minutes for them to cook one.

I said actually I would mind and enquired if I had surprised them with my request. 

And did you enjoy the subsequent baked potato covered in pubic hair and bodily fluids?

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

And did you enjoy the subsequent baked potato covered in pubic hair and bodily fluids?

Standard for Spud-U-Like TBF.

Stunned to see they're still operating. I've not seen one since the late Eighties.

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Standard for Spud-U-Like TBF.

Stunned to see they're still operating. I've not seen one since the late Eighties.

While you are in here, I just had my first head to head with TalkTalk. I prevailed to the tune of one free Eero router. 

Bairnardo 1 - TalkTalks shite customer service 0