Quick Question Thread

32 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Genuine question for our kitchenware freaks. I walked up to IKEA during the week looking to buy a combined kitchen foil / kitchen roll / clingfilm rack ......made from aluminium I think. I was devastated to be told that this item is discontinued.

Does anyone know what the IKEA name of this item was ? Tried Googling but no joy.

TIA.

Blomus?

13 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Blomus?

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

7 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Nice piece of kit.  But 99 euros FFS! 

Gentlemen, many thanks, appreciate your replies. Unfortunately this isn't the IKEA item sought. All I can remember is that the bottom section is for clingfilm and has large serated steel / alu teeth. Was probably only about £20 back in the day.

2 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Gentlemen, many thanks, appreciate your replies. Unfortunately this isn't the IKEA item sought. All I can remember is that the bottom section is for clingfilm and has large serated steel / alu teeth. Was probably only about £20 back in the day.

It's discontinued mate.

54 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Genuine question for our kitchenware freaks. I walked up to IKEA during the week looking to buy a combined kitchen foil / kitchen roll / clingfilm rack ......made from aluminium I think. I was devastated to be told that this item is discontinued.

Does anyone know what the IKEA name of this item was ? Tried Googling but no joy.

TIA.

2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's discontinued mate.

I know but if I can get the name or product code I might be able to find in the blackhole IKEA repository.

4 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I know but if I can get the name or product code I might be able to find in the blackhole IKEA repository.

There is no doubt some nerd on the internet who has a database of all historic ikea items. Try some weird ikea Facebook group for answers. 

1 minute ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

There is no doubt some nerd on the internet who has a database of all historic ikea items. Try some weird ikea Facebook group for answers. 

Been trying ikeahackers.net but no joy.

The search continues................................

18 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

If you find a cling film dispenser that actually works, please let me know.

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

Had anyone ever had an omlette in an Indian and what is chicken maryland?

Chicken Maryland is a breaded chicken breast with bacon, banana and pineapple. Genuinely.

Our antipodean chums use the term to describe the whole leg of a chicken (ie thigh and drumstick still attached to each other)

15 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Chicken Maryland is a breaded chicken breast with bacon, banana and pineapple. Genuinely.

You forgot the sausage and the chips.

I have had a paneer omelette from the Indian before.

I got outraged at seeing 'salad kebab' so opted for Mexican. It was a great shout if I do say so myself.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Had anyone ever had an omlette in an Indian and what is chicken maryland?

Go to any Chinese restaurant in Dundee in the late 60s or early 70s and the ‘British’ option on the menu was Chicken Maryland.  There’s a Chinese restaurant in Playa Blanca today who still does that!

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Historically bananas were imported into the USA via the port of Baltimore - hence chicken with banana became Chicken Maryland.  Maybe they tried Chicken Baltimore but that didn't sell well.

There used to be a company called the Inverness Banana ripening company - so maybe the Scottish equivalent would be a Chicken Inverness.  .. or maybe not.

Edited by Fullerene

27 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Historically bananas were imported into the USA via the port of Baltimore - hence chicken with banana became Chicken Maryland.  Maybe they tried Chicken Baltimore but that didn't sell well.

There used to be a company called the Inverness Banana ripening company - so maybe the Scottish equivalent would be a Chicken Inverness.  .. or maybe not.

tumblr_m6yhshlEdG1qfeqsqo3_500.jpg

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Go to any Chinese restaurant in Dundee in the late 60s or early 70s and the ‘British’ option on the menu was Chicken Maryland.  There’s a Chinese restaurant in Playa Blanca today who still does that!

The Lee Garden Chinese takeaway in Lochgilphead still has Chicken Maryland as number 64 on the menu.

I've never even considered purchasing it.