Quick Question Thread

17 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Very simple rule in life. Treat folk the way you'd want to be treated yourself.

Very much this, although I'll add not trying to make out that you know more than you actually do.  Otherwise the line leader can easily end up with egg on their face.

6 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Anyone else finding it confusing with the conversation switching between egg dishes and work supervision?

There, happy?

Thanks for the replies guys. Will just go on as I do and one thing I want to focus on is personally thanking them/show my gratification when they’ve had a tough shift and I see they’ve worked their arse off. I work in childcare so it happens and it can get stressful. I remember my boss doing that to me years ago at the end of a shift on a Friday and I was absolutely buzzing.

Edited by Karpaty Lviv

21 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Not sure if this is the right thread as this isn’t a “quick question” but here goes..

I got promoted in work two months ago, to assistant manager. It’s the first time I’ve ever been in a position where employees have looked up to me/have been my superior. I know all of them, and I’m on good terms with all of them, I just want some advice on how to go about being a superior to folk who I was on an even keel to.

i know the different/expectations of the roles, and I think I have the respect of everyone. I just want to not come across as a dick if I ever have to dig the team as a whole up. Any advice?

it’s taken me 7 years to get to this point and I don’t want to f**k it up. I love what I do and I take great pride in keeping everyone happy and my main mantra is making sure everyone wants to come to work with a smile on their face.

Remember that your promotion is not their demotion.  Your colleagues have not suddenly become less capable of doing their job.

Some crap managers don't know this.

Watching Shearer and Wright half-jokingly slag off strikers for the golden boot winner 'only' scoring twenty something goals, would it be fair to say that it would have been far easier to bang in goals in their day when Premiership defences would have been mostly made up of second rate English defenders rather than the plethora of decent international-level players that there is just now?

10 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Watching Shearer and Wright half-jokingly slag off strikers for the golden boot winner 'only' scoring twenty something goals, would it be fair to say that it would have been far easier to bang in goals in their day when Premiership defences would have been mostly made up of second rate English defenders rather than the plethora of decent international-level players that there is just now?

Obviously the game has moved on. The English top flight is pulling from a bigger pool of talented defenders but also these strikers are also being serviced by world class midfielders and the effects seem to largely cancel each other out

Looking at the list of top scorers there doesn't seem to have been a significant trend over recent decades. Sometimes the golden boot winner has scored a bucketload and sometimes it's a relatively modest number

Shearer got it three seasons in a row averaging 30 goals a season (1994-97) but for the following two seasons there was a 3 way tie on on just 18 goals

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_football_first_tier_top_scorers

Mo Salah got 32 as recently as 2017/18 but it's been in the low 20s since then

What is also notable is how infrequently the golden boot winner also has a league winner medal. When Arsenal's Ian Wright won it with 29 beating Spurs' Gary Lineker (28 goals) Arsenal finished 10 points behind the Champions Leeds and Spurs were only 10 clear of relegated Luton Town

It's as if teams with the leagues highest goal scorer are by their nature a bit too one dimensional in attack and  even quality Strikers aren't quite as important as we all tend to assume (Although you'd hardly expect Alan Shearer or Ian Wright to agree with that)

42 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Obviously the game has moved on. The English top flight is pulling from a bigger pool of talented defenders but also these strikers are also being serviced by world class midfielders and the effects seem to largely cancel each other out

Looking at the list of top scorers there doesn't seem to have been a significant trend over recent decades. Sometimes the golden boot winner has scored a bucketload and sometimes it's a relatively modest number

Shearer got it three seasons in a row averaging 30 goals a season (1994-97) but for the following two seasons there was a 3 way tie on on just 18 goals

What is also notable is how infrequently the golden boot winner also has a league winner medal. When Arsenal's Ian Wright won it with 29 beating Spurs' Gary Lineker (28 goals) Arsenal finished 10 points behind the Champions Leeds and Spurs were only 10 clear of relegated Luton Town

It's as if teams with the leagues highest goal scorer are by their nature a bit too one dimensional in attack and  even quality Strikers aren't quite as important as we all tend to assume (Although you'd hardly expect Alan Shearer or Ian Wright to agree with that)

If I mind right, Salah is top of the league for assists, which makes the rather obvious point that scoring isn't all many of the best forwards are about these days. Even someone who frequently shoots on sight like him (hes top of the shots league IIRC) plays a lot of supporting role stuff. 

48 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Man City being a case in point although you do have to wonder how many Haaland will score next season with the service he'll get.

On 21/05/2022 at 13:28, Miguel Sanchez said:

It really isn't

Aside from having to time them, aside from having to guess if they're cooked the right amount or not, aside from them scalding you while you're trying to get the shell off - I don't know how anyone could be hungry, want to eat eggs, boil them and still be able to stand the thought of eggs after standing smelling them while they're taking the shell off. Howling. 

Top tip: whether hard or soft boiled, place the eggs into very cold water immediately after removing from the pan. Means the egg separates slightly from the shell, the shell is cooler, de shelling is easier and the eggs is still hot.

Poaching eggs by wrapping them in clingfilm then dropping them in boiling water is a game changer.  Means you never have to do the 'swirl the water with a drop of vinegar' shite again.
BUT anyone who thinks that poached eggs go with avocado is a wrong 'un.
How do you do that? Put the clingfilm in a bowl then crack the egg into it?