Quick Question Thread

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

It really isn't

Aside from having to time them, aside from having to guess if they're cooked the right amount or not, aside from them scalding you while you're trying to get the shell off - I don't know how anyone could be hungry, want to eat eggs, boil them and still be able to stand the thought of eggs after standing smelling them while they're taking the shell off. Howling. 

Only reheating tinned food or making toast rank easier on the cooking difficulty scale. 

Baffled by the whole "taking the shell off" bit if they're hot as well. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Only reheating tinned food or making toast rank easier on the cooking difficulty scale. 

Baffled by the whole "taking the shell off" bit if they're hot as well. 

A fried egg is quite clearly easier to cook than a boiled egg, because you can fucking see the result.

11 minutes ago, virginton said:

A fried egg is quite clearly easier to cook than a boiled egg, because you can fucking see the result.

I'm with my learned friend on this, crack egg into pan, fry it, lift it 

44 minutes ago, virginton said:

A fried egg is quite clearly easier to cook than a boiled egg, because you can fucking see the result

Easier to not over or undercook, granted. 

Cracking it into the pan, not sticking it to the pan and getting it out in one piece and on to plate/bread/ gammon etc are all additional steps that can go wrong. Given @Miguel Sanchez couldn't peel an egg without burning himself i don't want to encourage him to be around hot oil. 

I think my biggest problem is that eggs as food seems like the best idea in the world until you're actually cooking and eating them at which point you'd rather be doing literally anything else. Boiling them adds a level of aggravation that somehow makes it even less worthwhile.

Not sure if this is the right thread as this isn’t a “quick question” but here goes..

I got promoted in work two months ago, to assistant manager. It’s the first time I’ve ever been in a position where employees have looked up to me/have been my superior. I know all of them, and I’m on good terms with all of them, I just want some advice on how to go about being a superior to folk who I was on an even keel to.

i know the different/expectations of the roles, and I think I have the respect of everyone. I just want to not come across as a dick if I ever have to dig the team as a whole up. Any advice?

it’s taken me 7 years to get to this point and I don’t want to f**k it up. I love what I do and I take great pride in keeping everyone happy and my main mantra is making sure everyone wants to come to work with a smile on their face.

Edited by Karpaty Lviv

2 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Not sure if this is the right thread as this isn’t a “quick question” but here goes..

I got promoted in work two months ago, to assistant manager. It’s the first time I’ve ever been in a position where employees have looked up to me/have been my superior. I know all of them, and I’m on good terms with all of them, I just want some advice on how to go about being a superior to folk who I was on an even keel to.

i know the different/expectations of the roles, and I think I have the respect of everyone. I just want to not come across as a dick if I ever have to dig the team as a whole up. Any advice?

it’s taken me 7 years to get to this point and I don’t want to f**k it up. I love what I do and I take great pride in keeping everyone happy and my main mantra is making sure everyone wants to come to work with a smile on their face.

You have to take one of them into the woods and shoot them, it's the only way they'll respect you.

Alternatively, they work to the same rules as you do, it's fair to expect that both parties don't act the dick, just get along with them.

1 minute ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

You have to take one of them into the woods and shoot them, it's the only way they'll respect you.

Alternatively, they work to the same rules as you do, it's fair to expect that both parties don't act the dick, just get along with them.

None of them are Russian. 

10 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Just be yourself mate and lead by example.

But don't try and keep everybody happy, it's impossible. If they respect you and you are honest with them, then nobody can argue with that.

7 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

But don't try and keep everybody happy, it's impossible. If they respect you and you are honest with them, then nobody can argue with that.

They all know the job and know what’s expected so what I tell them shouldn’t come as a surprise, unless of course they are clearly blanking it. 

Edited by Karpaty Lviv

13 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I have a vision of what I want everyone to be like but I know I can’t implement that. Everyone comes to work and does their job, maybe not the way I want them to but that’s my quandary. 

The biggest thing I want is that everyone feels happy being there. There were times I hated the job for whatever reason and I want to be able to offer them a chance to sit down and talk about any issue they have if it ever arises. I have huge respect for all of them and I want to be able to offer everyone the chance to vent if they need to.

I have a vision of what I want everyone to be like but I know I can’t implement that. Everyone comes to work and does their job, maybe not the way I want them to but that’s my quandary. 
The biggest thing I want is that everyone feels happy being there. There were times I hated the job for whatever reason and I want to be able to offer them a chance to sit down and talk about any issue they have if it ever arises. I have huge respect for all of them and I want to be able to offer everyone the chance to vent if they need to.
You're worrying too much, mate. You've got the experience, so trust your judgment.

Very simple rule in life. Treat folk the way you'd want to be treated yourself.

I think my biggest problem is that eggs as food seems like the best idea in the world until you're actually cooking and eating them at which point you'd rather be doing literally anything else. Boiling them adds a level of aggravation that somehow makes it even less worthwhile.
You're underestimating the beauty of the humble egg.

I don't get to eat properly due to having a fucked up gut, and so I hook up to a drip every night. Eggs are generally a safe food, and so I've taken a great deal of time to learn the process.

I'm pretty sure I've watched every YouTube clip by every chef and wannabee chef on scrambled egg technique and omelettes. It's done, and there's a wonderful science to it.

I've also recently come to appreciate the joy of egg mayonnaise (a touch of mustard is the key).

Poaching eggs by wrapping them in clingfilm then dropping them in boiling water is a game changer.  Means you never have to do the 'swirl the water with a drop of vinegar' shite again.

BUT anyone who thinks that poached eggs go with avocado is a wrong 'un.

9 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Like Johnny says, just be yourself. There will be jealousy and there will be some who become stand offish but that's nothing on you. Good luck with the new role. 

Put the bread in the toaster. Crack the egg into a small sieve. Any of the too runny white falls into the cup below.

(Top tip: as well as finding the freshest eggs you can, use small eggs - they come from younger hens that have stronger proteins holding the white together. Big eggs come from older hens that will spread into a foamy white mess in the pan.) 

Drop the egg(s) into the pan of lightly boiling salted/vinegared water. Do not swirl. Other than making sure they are not sticking to the pan, leave well alone. Start the toaster. Wait. Toaster pops, butter toast. Lift poached eggs with a slotted spoon. They will be perfectly cooked with solid white and runny yolk. 

14 hours ago, pandarilla said:

You're underestimating the beauty of the humble egg.

I don't get to eat properly due to having a fucked up gut, and so I hook up to a drip every night. Eggs are generally a safe food, and so I've taken a great deal of time to learn the process.

I'm pretty sure I've watched every YouTube clip by every chef and wannabee chef on scrambled egg technique and omelettes. It's done, and there's a wonderful science to it.

I've also recently come to appreciate the joy of egg mayonnaise (a touch of mustard is the key).

Egg Mayo smells like a rancid fart so I'm out 

16 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Divide and conquer. Anyone steps out of line, kick the shit out of them. Workers need discipline.