Quick Question Thread

Have been in Turkey for the last 10 days. Why is it that I can count on one hand the amount of flies that I have seen? None at the hotel complex, none in bars and restaurants and only a couple seen just now at this beach bar I am sitting in.

11 minutes ago, supermik said:

Have been in Turkey for the last 10 days. Why is it that I can count on one hand the amount of flies that I have seen? None at the hotel complex, none in bars and restaurants and only a couple seen just now at this beach bar I am sitting in.

Your eyesight is fading?

6 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Your eyesight is fading?

Seriously mate, there are absolutely none. Maybe the fact that the entire resort is spotless helps but you would still expect the odd few buzzing your plates but there has not been a single one land anywhere near the food. Just seems a bit strange.

1 hour ago, supermik said:

Some Turkish bloke travelled back in time and killed a butterfly.

2 hours ago, supermik said:

Plague of spiders

2 hours ago, supermik said:

Seriously mate, there are absolutely none. Maybe the fact that the entire resort is spotless helps but you would still expect the odd few buzzing your plates but there has not been a single one land anywhere near the food. Just seems a bit strange.

Modern pesticides etc? Been the same here. Used to be if you went on a long journey in the car the front would be thick with bugs. Now there’s barely any big splat.

On 13/05/2022 at 12:59, GordonD said:

When the programme was first on there was another show which ripped the piss out of it with a sketch called 'Tales of Much as You Expected' with somebody (Peter Cook springs to mind) as Roald Dahl sitting in the armchair doing the introduction. Then a burning coal fell out of the fireplace and set light to the room.

Speaking of Roald Dahl, his granddaughter Sophie tried to start a crowdfunding to raise money to preserve the shed where he did his writing for the nation. It was pointed out that she was a writer and former fashion model who wasn't short of a bob or two and didn't need to scrounge cash off others. The crowdfunding was quietly dropped.

You'd have thought she'd use the royalties from that lentil curry he invented

On 14/05/2022 at 20:11, Florentine_Pogen said:

We bought a MacAllister pushmower a few years back. Would not recommend.

Get yourself a Brill pushmower - really good blades and if you get it sharpened once a year its a doddle to cut a reasonable sized lawn.

4 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

There was a thread on the TV & film forum I think was called - Documentaries 

Can't find it.

Try this.

Don't bother using the site's search facility - it's slow and crap.

Edited by BFTD

Hello folks.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question but I didn't really find an appropriate one in the travel forum.

Basically I'm booked to fly with Ryanair in August. However I booked it through lastminute.com which from some things I've read online was maybe not the best idea (I'm an absolute novice with regards to arranging international travel so not going to kick myself over it). I have used lastminute before for a hotel booking and there were no issues so used them again, but I've read things about Ryanair not being a fan of these types of bookings and that you should always book direct with them. I also read a comment (could be bollocks) about them selling the seats you think you've booked to someone who does book it direct.

I'm quite anxious about this and just want to ensure that I'm not going to turn up at the airport on the day and be told I'm not on the flight and be faced with a major problem. 

Is there an issue or am I worrying about nothing?

Cheers.

47 minutes ago, Jamaldo said:

Hello folks.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question but I didn't really find an appropriate one in the travel forum.

Basically I'm booked to fly with Ryanair in August. However I booked it through lastminute.com which from some things I've read online was maybe not the best idea (I'm an absolute novice with regards to arranging international travel so not going to kick myself over it). I have used lastminute before for a hotel booking and there were no issues so used them again, but I've read things about Ryanair not being a fan of these types of bookings and that you should always book direct with them. I also read a comment (could be bollocks) about them selling the seats you think you've booked to someone who does book it direct.

I'm quite anxious about this and just want to ensure that I'm not going to turn up at the airport on the day and be told I'm not on the flight and be faced with a major problem. 

Is there an issue or am I worrying about nothing?

Cheers.

You can check your reservation on Ryanair's site. Make an account then you can add the booking using the relevant number. That should allay your fears.

26 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

You can check your reservation on Ryanair's site. Make an account then you can add the booking using the relevant number. That should allay your fears.

Had no joy with that. Said it had no record of the reservation.

Very worried now.

In Thunderbirds, and as the only woman on an island in the arse end of the Pacific Ocean, how much of a pumping would Tin-Tin have taken off the Tracy brothers?  I'd imagine that an organisation comprised largely of the same close family would add a level of ethical complexity.  If Jeff (the dad/boss) had got in first, would the brothers have got in at all (or vice versa)?
... and more to the point, should/if had she got up the duff, would she be able to work out which one of the brothers was the father, even with a DNA test?  
This is assuming that Tin-Tin is straight of course.  Fairly sure that Lady Penelope made frequent visits.
Eta: and being based up in space by himself, how sexually frustrated (and f***ed up in general) must John have been?
None of the brothers were identical twins, so yes, a DNA test would establish the paternal puppet shagger.
There seems to be a suggestion of fraternal skulduggery in your post. The Tracey's can only hope any child conceived comes with no strings attached.

Does anyone remember a UK series from the 70s or 80's that was similar to the twilight zone?
A particular episode was one where a man had a machine that could let him hear the screams of plants as he cut them. He took an axe to a tree and he heard it groan through earphones.
As mentioned, defo ToTU.
Favourite one was with Peter Cushing and a very young Brian Cox playing an ex-con.

The show was very hit and miss though.

Inside No.9 is similar but much better imho. Darker and funnier and sometimes very touching. Unsurprising given that it comes from 2/3rds of The League of Gentlemen writers. Again, hit and miss but the hits are more frequent and generally excellent.

Regarding Hammer House of Horror...magic stuff for a very young horror lover. Must've been around 8 or 9 watching those. The werewolf one stands out as particularly good as did the African cursed voodoo doll one (League of Gentlemen vet surely had links to this one).

ETA Peter Cushing/Brian Cox was a Hammer production, not ToTU. Silent Scream was the episode.

17 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

that give me a link  to google....now I would post something derogative, but I've got a howling dog outside😁 

Aye, I thought you might not know how to search a specific site using a search engine.

It'll work on DuckDuckGo, or whatever else you fancy.

7 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

As mentioned, defo ToTU.
Favourite one was with Peter Cushing and a very young Brian Cox playing an ex-con.

The show was very hit and miss though.

Inside No.9 is similar but much better imho. Darker and funnier and sometimes very touching. Unsurprising given that it comes from 2/3rds of The League of Gentlemen writers. Again, hit and miss but the hits are more frequent and generally excellent.

Regarding Hammer House of Horror...magic stuff for a very young horror lover. Must've been around 8 or 9 watching those. The werewolf one stands out as particularly good as did the African cursed voodoo doll one (League of Gentlemen vet surely had links to this one).

ETA Peter Cushing/Brian Cox was a Hammer production, not ToTU. Silent Scream was the episode.

Dr Terrible's House of Horrible was a fun send-up on those kinds of anthology shows.

Steve Coogan and a whole host of other UK faces.

9 hours ago, Jamaldo said:

Had no joy with that. Said it had no record of the reservation.

Very worried now.

Did you try to add your reservation? It won't show up when you first make your account but you should be able to then add it using the booking reference.

If you did that and it still isn't showing, there's still plenty of time. See what the booking company say.