Quick Question Thread

Why do the supermarkets clear Easter Eggs as soon as Easter Sunday comes? I think they must return them to the manufacturers who reuse the chocolate for selection boxes. 

I actually gave up chocolate for Lent (not particularly religious but I like to see if I can do it) and didn't buy an Easter Egg. After being a chocoholic for years and giving it up for 6 weeks I'm not actually particularly fussed by chocolate any more. 

5 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Why do the supermarkets clear Easter Eggs as soon as Easter Sunday comes? I think they must return them to the manufacturers who reuse the chocolate for selection boxes. 

I actually gave up chocolate for Lent (not particularly religious but I like to see if I can do it) and didn't buy an Easter Egg. After being a chocoholic for years and giving it up for 6 weeks I'm not actually particularly fussed by chocolate any more. 

No idea, I thought they were for sale all year round. If you get desperate I got given a hot cross bun flavoured chocolate egg and I've been too scared to even open the packaging, happy to pass it on..

17 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I think they must have come to an understanding with the manufacturers - it used to be that you'd see Easter eggs with the prices slashed for weeks afterwards, and occasionally cheapo shops would get eggs in at Easter that were obviously old stock from the year before. White patches in the chocolate tended to give the game away. If you think about it, the clearance stock would hit sales of regular chocolate bars, so it's in their best interests to get them pulled from the shelves.

Don't get cocky, by the way. Sugar can sneak up and bite you on the arse even if you've been over it for months or years.

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Why do the supermarkets clear Easter Eggs as soon as Easter Sunday comes?

Because anybody who tries to buy an Easter egg after Easter Sunday is a Godless heathen.

3 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Because anybody who tries to buy an Easter egg after Easter Sunday is a Godless heathen.

True dat. I used to buy them on the cheap all the time when I was younger.

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I thought it was because they're buying less. As a chronic procrastinator i'm always buying them at the last minute and it's got noticably harder over the last few years, with popular ones being sold out early. 

So there's none left by Easter. 

Makes sense because restricting supply lets them keep the price up at 5x the price of the chocolate and sweets. 

They get the Spring bunny holiday* stuff out the way so that they can stack the shelves with Festive holiday** stuff ASAP.

*can't even call it Easter these days

**Get locked up for calling it Christmas these days

9 hours ago, GordonD said:

or Greek Orthodox. They have theirs next week. 

Anyway I bought two in Berwick upon Tweed today, the home of godless heathens as anyone who has been to Shielfield can attest. 

20 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Probably because they need the shelf space for whatever ever the next promotion they'll be trying get folks to buy , sometimes you'll get some Easter eggs and the end is aisle where they have the short dated and yellow sticker stuff , I've picked up the eggs with a mug with them from that shelf in the past 

On 18/04/2022 at 00:25, tamthebam said:

It is not a good idea to keep them too long in case they hatch.

HTH

9 hours ago, just me 2 said:

Has anyone on here renewed their passport recently? I've just applied today and hoping to get away for a week the last week in May.

My son renewed his a couple weeks ago. Was a very slick online system, inc uploading a phone photo.

Came through pretty quickly too, think it was a week / ten days at most end to end process.

About £75 though !

On 18/04/2022 at 00:25, tamthebam said:

Need the space for Christmas stock, probably. 

The greedy capitalist pig scum.

(got 5 creme eggs for 87p in Lidl last night though)

My son renewed his a couple weeks ago. Was a very slick online system, inc uploading a phone photo.
Came through pretty quickly too, think it was a week / ten days at most end to end process.
About £75 though !

Cheers, that was the same as me, means I can wait till it comes in before I book anything.

7 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

That part didn't work for me. Kept saying the photo had to be in colour. It wasn't greyscale, we just don't get a lot of sun up here!

Same here - took a half-dozen efforts and where I am it's wall-to-wall sunshine!