Quick Question Thread

11 hours ago, alta-pete said:

One for the joiners/flooring experts/ maybe even @Shandon Par as a wild card. 

Moving house, getting new engineered oak boards down, similar to what was put down in the the current house before I got here. (Why move?! I ken!!!) 

I was always told boards should be laid across the direction of traffic (as we currently have on the pic below) but, to a man (and Mrs a-p) , everyone tells me that I’m wrong and they should in fact be laid lengthways. 

Is this just the flooring guys looking for an easy life or am I genuinely operating at 90° from reality? 

3F1642C6-2938-4F4A-947D-4630A6A0E106.jpeg

From watching HGTV it seems that the planks should be laid according to what dimension you're trying to emphasise.  In a hallway you'd most likely want to emphasise the length (OK, Kenneth) - the above makes it look cramped and closes in the walls.  

1 hour ago, Brother Blades said:

The correct way is perpendicular to your main light source, obviously this might not work in a dark hallway. 

This is what I thought, the light in the kitchen/diner (morning light) and living room (pm light) should take priority but I have been royally hunted. I was a lone voice.

I have therefore caved to convention and while the hallway is about the least important room in the house it seems it must set the tone for the rest of it. 

I am now going to spend the next 25 years looking at them convinced they have been laid the wrong way round. That is however I think preferable to every man, woman and wise guy coming across the threshold, giving it the Montgomery/Mourinho face and saying ‘ooft, wtf have you done??!?’  

5 hours ago, alta-pete said:

This is what I thought, the light in the kitchen/diner (morning light) and living room (pm light) should take priority but I have been royally hunted. I was a lone voice.

I have therefore caved to convention and while the hallway is about the least important room in the house it seems it must set the tone for the rest of it. 

I am now going to spend the next 25 years looking at them convinced they have been laid the wrong way round. That is however I think preferable to every man, woman and wise guy coming across the threshold, giving it the Montgomery/Mourinho face and saying ‘ooft, wtf have you done??!?’  

Put carpet down then. 

23 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Moving house, getting new engineered oak boards down, similar to what was put down in the the current house before I got here. (Why move?! I ken!!!) 

I was always told boards should be laid across the direction of traffic (as we currently have on the pic below) but, to a man (and Mrs a-p) , everyone tells me that I’m wrong and they should in fact be laid lengthways. 

Is this just the flooring guys looking for an easy life or am I genuinely operating at 90° from reality? 

I'm fucking surprised you sold the house with the floor like that.

On 28/03/2022 at 23:31, alta-pete said:

IoDFmHp9-LADYBIRD-BOOK02.jpg

1 hour ago, Welly boy said:

Hoping to take the kids to  Edinburgh dungeons in the school hols the youngest one is 7 so just wondering is she old enough to get in?

Take the kids to watch Edinburgh City at Ainslie Park, that'll scare the shite out of them! 

1 hour ago, Welly boy said:

Hoping to take the kids to  Edinburgh dungeons in the school hols the youngest one is 7 so just wondering is she old enough to get in?

We took the youngest when he was around that age, freaked out when we got down the stairs so didn't take him in.

46 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

We took the youngest when he was around that age, freaked out when we got down the stairs so didn't take him in.

Sounds like her age is ok then, never been so hopefully its not too scary, Plus if I'm paying for a ticket for her she will be going in no matter how bad it is.