Quick Question Thread

Thinking about learning keyboard/piano, would it be enough to buy a cheapish one from argos/wherever and learn from youtube etc to begin with? Or would people recommend going for in-person lessons?

I'm having to sort out a Home Report for the first time. Does anyone come P&B recommended or are they all pretty much the same? My house is in decent condition and I'd assume they just take the size of the property and the area it's in and the valuation is decided on that. But would prefer one that's known for providing generous valuations - and if anyone's had a shite experience let me know who to avoid.

Should add the property is in Ayrshire.

Edited by Slacker

12 minutes ago, Slacker said:

I'm having to sort out a Home Report for the first time. Does anyone come P&B recommended or are they all pretty much the same? My house is in decent condition and I'd assume they just take the size of the property and the area it's in and the valuation is decided on that. But would prefer one that's known for providing generous valuations - and if anyone's had a shite experience let me know who to avoid.

Should add the property is in Ayrshire.

Are you selling, or is it just for mortgage purposes? If it’s the latter, it’s probably worth checking who is on your lender’s panel of surveyors, as using someone they recognise can save a ball ache down the line. 

3 hours ago, deej said:

Thinking about learning keyboard/piano, would it be enough to buy a cheapish one from argos/wherever and learn from youtube etc to begin with? Or would people recommend going for in-person lessons?

Don't buy a cheap-cheap one. Spend a couple of hundred quid on a decent Yamaha or something like that that has pressure-sensitive keys.

7 hours ago, deej said:

Regarding lessons it depends on your goals.  If you go to in-person lessons you'll likely be taught using "classical" methods and it could be years before you're knocking out a decent tune.  Be prepared for all the basics of scales, circle of fifths and all the other theoretical stuff.

Plenty online courses available using non-classical methods which will likely have you progressing to knocking out a tune much faster but they're generally geared towards contemporary rather than classical tunes.

If you want to be playing Mozart go for lessons.  If you want to be playing pop music then online learning might be better.

11 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Regarding lessons it depends on your goals.  If you go to in-person lessons you'll likely be taught using "classical" methods and it could be years before you're knocking out a decent tune.  Be prepared for all the basics of scales, circle of fifths and all the other theoretical stuff.

Plenty online courses available using non-classical methods which will likely have you progressing to knocking out a tune much faster but they're generally geared towards contemporary rather than classical tunes.

If you want to be playing Mozart go for lessons.  If you want to be playing pop music then online learning might be better.

My 8 yr old has been using simply piano as she got a keyboard for Christmas and I can't find a teacher.

She can play the chorus to that classic "dance monkey" 🙈