Quick Question Thread

Related to the last couple of pages is a story with the most magnificent piece of shithousery I’ve ever seen. 

Old Uncle John lived in his ex-council house in Grangemouth just about all his life. Getting past 70 and with concerns about his mobility, the  Council were arranged to install a couple of grab rails, an extra handrail on the stair that sort of thing.

Boy from the Council turns up to do the jobs and old Uncle, being that sort of auld guy, follows him all round the house offering a commentary ‘you sure you know what you’re doing son?’, ‘hmm, don’t think I’d be doing it like that’, etc, you get the score. 

Anyway, having been in the Merchant Navy as a boy, John had profound hearing issues and constantly complained about his hearing aids. 

Fast forward several years and he’s complaining about a constant beeping in the house that’s keeping him awake all night. Everyone tells him he’s imagining it but no, he insists it’s real and it’s there. 

Anyway, we give in and investigate and indeed there is a beeping.

Best guess we’ve got is the joiner from the Council had got fed up with the constant critique on his work, lifted a floorboard, dropped in a new smoke alarm and waited 3 years for it to run down and wreak its cold heartless revenge on him. 

4 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Related to the last couple of pages is a story with the most magnificent piece of shithousery I’ve ever seen. 

Old Uncle John lived in his ex-council house in Grangemouth just about all his life. Getting past 70 and with concerns about his mobility, the  Council were arranged to install a couple of grab rails, an extra handrail on the stair that sort of thing.

Boy from the Council turns up to do the jobs and old Uncle, being that sort of auld guy, follows him all round the house offering a commentary ‘you sure you know what you’re doing son?’, ‘hmm, don’t think I’d be doing it like that’, etc, you get the score. 

Anyway, having been in the Merchant Navy as a boy, John had profound hearing issues and constantly complained about his hearing aids. 

Fast forward several years and he’s complaining about a constant beeping in the house that’s keeping him awake all night. Everyone tells him he’s imagining it but no, he insists it’s real and it’s there. 

Anyway, we give in and investigate and indeed there is a beeping.

Best guess we’ve got is the joiner from the Council had got fed up with the constant critique on his work, lifted a floorboard, dropped in a new smoke alarm and waited 3 years for it to run down and wreak its cold heartless revenge on him. 

It'd be a bit pointless if he'd died before they went off.

9 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Do any posters (not including the girls) paint their nails?

No, but a good icebreaker with girls at parties is to let them paint your nails.

According to a mate from thirty years ago.

Do any posters (not including the girls) paint their nails?
Its quite sad really.... Once upon a time thr inevitable follow up of you having painted your nails for some convoluted reason would have surprised me.

Now I just want to know what colour they are

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Its quite sad really.... Once upon a time thr inevitable follow up of you having painted your nails for some convoluted reason would have surprised me.

Now I just want to know what colour they are

Usually Blackened (A Farrow and Ball white/grey). 

Just curious as Mrs always has nice nails. Just now they are black with gold dust. 

5 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Why is Perth railway station so grim when compared to other Scottish stations?

I actually quite like it but it's obviously had more lines going through it in the past and Beeching took some of the glory away.

On 14/11/2021 at 19:30, Tony Ferrino said:

I've got about 200 of those old inch square photo slides that you used to to have to push into a viewer to see, that I need to get digitised. Is it best to buy your own machine or pay someone?

On 15/11/2021 at 11:54, welshbairn said:

Have similar and am going to use this lot.

https://theslideconverter.co.uk/

On 16/11/2021 at 10:35, welshbairn said:

P.S. You can send them a sample of 5 slides that they'll do for free before deciding. After rummaging around I think we've got more like 1000, so I'm going to make sure it's worthwhile first.

The quality was excellent btw. Now I have to go through them all to filter out the rubbish.

The bloody timer on my boiler has gone. Not turning as time goes by so the boiler stays on. Its a mechanical and not digital one on a Worcester Bosch. MT10 is the model number of the timer and the boiler itself is fine.

Anyone ever changed one themselves or should I fork out for a plumber to do it? I've seen they are about £60 online which is a relief but bearing in mind I'm a tight fisted b*****d id do it if it was reasonably straightforward. 

The bloody timer on my boiler has gone. Not turning as time goes by so the boiler stays on. Its a mechanical and not digital one on a Worcester Bosch. MT10 is the model number of the timer and the boiler itself is fine.
Anyone ever changed one themselves or should I fork out for a plumber to do it? I've seen they are about £60 online which is a relief but bearing in mind I'm a tight fisted b*****d id do it if it was reasonably straightforward. 
We have the same timer and are on number 3 after having boiler installed 7 yrs ago. These particular units are "a piece of shit", according to our heating guy. What I now do is put all the wee pegs to the ON position and just switch the heating on/off manually as req'd. Not ideal but works fine for us.
Might be worth enquiring if the digital timer can be installed.