Quick Question Thread

my mains operated smoke alarm went off last 3 days, the first 2 times around same time each afternoon the last time at 4am . Its only one going off and was fitted maybe 1to2 years ago. 

It not related to smoke either in house or outside and when the reset is pushed its off no problem. Theres no other beeps or sounds so seems something is triggering it. I read online can be dust or an insect has got inside it but Im no even sure how to open the thing without smashing it with a hammer.

any tips?

2 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

my mains operated smoke alarm went off last 3 days, the first 2 times around same time each afternoon the last time at 4am . Its only one going off and was fitted maybe 1to2 years ago. 

It not related to smoke either in house or outside and when the reset is pushed its off no problem. Theres no other beeps or sounds so seems something is triggering it. I read online can be dust or an insect has got inside it but Im no even sure how to open the thing without smashing it with a hammer.

any tips?

By coincidence, one of our light switches started playing up last night - the electrician came today and quickly identified the problem as ants.  He solved the problem by tapping on the switches and dislodged them and their debris.  He them placed some silica gel in the socket.  

7 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

any tips?

Google tells me you could try spraying it with insecticide. I wouldn't smash it with a hammer however annoying it gets, they have radioactive material inside.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Google tells me you could try spraying it with insecticide. I wouldn't smash it with a hammer however annoying it gets, they have radioactive material inside.

I'd be wary of using a spray with an electrical appliance 

13 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

any tips?

I had this on a an old alarm (over 10 years) so swapped it out for a new one.  Also had it on a 4/5 year old alarm but seeing as a replacement cost £13 I swapped that out as well.

If you can pick up a replacement as cheap as I did I wouldn't be messing about with it.

22 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

any tips?

All of the circular units open in similar manner, most with screwdriver slid into slot.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

1 minute ago, BigDoddyKane said:

I dont fancy spraying it with insecticide, I was thinking using the hoover and gently aiming it at the open slots bit, maybe that can get the dust away? If it is dust or insect

How would you get the hoover up there though!

Joking apart, yes, you can use the nozzle attachment to blow/suck out any debris - awaiting Kenneth Williams gif. Problem is, the insects may be stuck to the connectors and a suck/blow may not be enough - it might need a good rub - again, awaiting Kenneth gif!

14 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I had this on a an old alarm (over 10 years) so swapped it out for a new one.  Also had it on a 4/5 year old alarm but seeing as a replacement cost £13 I swapped that out as well.

If you can pick up a replacement as cheap as I did I wouldn't be messing about with it.

Remember, as of February 2022 all smoke, heat and CO alarms must be interlinked so you wont get away with spending £13 to replace a unit.

"The smoke alarm went off at 4 am and I decided to use the hoover to free it of dust. It was unfortunate that I fell off the ladder and landed awkwardly, dropping the nozzle onto my groin. Did I mention that I sleep in the nude, Doctor...."

12 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Remember, as of February 2022 all smoke, heat and CO alarms must be interlinked so you wont get away with spending £13 to replace a unit.

All my alarms are interlinked (hard wired).   House was built after those new regs came in for new builds (before they retro-fitted the regs to all houses)

Just checked the invoice.  £7.50 for the alarm unit plus VAT plus delivery

FFS.  Just had a look to see if I could still get a replacement so cheap and the manufacturer of my system has withdrawn from the European market and there is no compatible replacement.  Means if another one goes wrong or in 4 years when they're lifespan is up I'll have to get a sparky in the change the whole lot.

FFS.  Just had a look to see if I could still get a replacement so cheap and the manufacturer of my system has withdrawn from the European market and there is no compatible replacement.  Means if another one goes wrong or in 4 years when they're lifespan is up I'll have to get a sparky in the change the whole lot.

A sparky? Seriously? Your wiring is extant, I'm assuming all you need to do is replace 2/3 x Smokes and 1 x Heat.
Not too onerous?

3 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

A sparky? Seriously? Your wiring is extant, I'm assuming all you need to do is replace 2/3 x Smokes and 1 x Heat.
Not too onerous?

6 smoke and 1 heat.  They're all mains wired so I'm not touching them.  Pretty sure even if I was comfortable doing it (which I'm not) you still have to get a sparky to sign it off anyway.