Quick Question Thread

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Code: I grannied the wee bugger.

Tune in next week for Johnny’s response when he’s hammered 10-1 and snapped the cue over his leg in a fit of rage.

Haha, if this happens, I guarantee he will hate it and never want to go back.

10 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

That you called a plumber when there was no need is down to you. 

2 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Up here what usually happens if there is a problem is the tenant calls the letting agent  to let them know and the agent phones the plumber/contractor  to have a look and give a price for the work. The agent passes the quote onto the owner and the owner decides if they want to accept the price. 

The tenant doesn't get to choose what work gets carried out in the property and then tell the owner to pay for it.

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Letting agencies will usually have a contract arrangement with certain plumbers. Think this ones all on you, neebs. Take the L and learn for next time! 

Cheers boys. I've contacted my tenant's union and I'm emailing the letting agency to ask for something in law or the tenancy agreement that justifies the payment and we'll see what they say. They're about to meet something they've never contended with before: someone who was born in Fife.

12 minutes ago, Tony Ferrino said:

I've got about 200 of those old inch square photo slides that you used to to have to push into a viewer to see, that I need to get digitised. Is it best to buy your own machine or pay someone?

£130.00 from Curry's or you can buy similar on Amazon for half the price.

Buy EASYPIX Cyberscanner View Film Scanner | Free Delivery | Currys

18 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Cheers boys. I've contacted my tenant's union and I'm emailing the letting agency to ask for something in law or the tenancy agreement that justifies the payment and we'll see what they say. They're about to meet something they've never contended with before: someone who was born in Fife.

Are they saying you have to pay because there was nothing actually wrong?  If so, that seems unreasonable but if they are saying you have to pay because you called the plumber directly then I don't think you have much to complain about.  

16 hours ago, Tony Ferrino said:

I've got about 200 of those old inch square photo slides that you used to to have to push into a viewer to see, that I need to get digitised. Is it best to buy your own machine or pay someone?

Have similar and am going to use this lot.

https://theslideconverter.co.uk/

5 hours ago, hk blues said:

Are they saying you have to pay because there was nothing actually wrong?  If so, that seems unreasonable but if they are saying you have to pay because you called the plumber directly then I don't think you have much to complain about.  

It's the former, aye. I'm not bothered about whether I'm morally responsible (I am bothered I will fight anyone) but whether they have a legal basis for charging me. Their exact reasoning is "as the visit was not required you are now liable for the payment" which immediately makes me say "I'm not a plumber, how am I supposed to ken?" I can't see anything in the tenancy agreement either. 

I'm used to the laws around renting being shite and a lot of Google searches are just landlord forums trying to dump all the costs on to the tenant but their specific reasoning here reads mental to me and seems more about squeezing money by any means possible than there being an actual legal basis.

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

It's the former, aye. I'm not bothered about whether I'm morally responsible (I am bothered I will fight anyone) but whether they have a legal basis for charging me. Their exact reasoning is "as the visit was not required you are now liable for the payment" which immediately makes me say "I'm not a plumber, how am I supposed to ken?" I can't see anything in the tenancy agreement either. 

I'm used to the laws around renting being shite and a lot of Google searches are just landlord forums trying to dump all the costs on to the tenant but their specific reasoning here reads mental to me and seems more about squeezing money by any means possible than there being an actual legal basis.

Send them an invite to Ruel Street.

4 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Think the equivalent here is Piccadilly Gardens which might be the most generally hostile location in the UK.

I was in Manchester for an Oasis gig in the early 2000s and as we were waiting for our train the next day we sat in Piccadilly Gardens.  It was summer and it was a nice day, people were eating their lunches and stuff like that but there was a guy laid out on the grass, completely unmoving and flat out for over an hour.  We noticed him and started watching him, I was genuinely worried he was dead.  A parkie/attendent person went over and roused him, it took a few attempts.

A few years later when Spice was a big thing there were loads of videos from Picadilly Gardens of drug addicts on Spice falling over and shuffling about.  In many ways the sparked out guy was a leader, a pioneer.

On 14/11/2021 at 19:30, Tony Ferrino said:

22 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Have similar and am going to use this lot.

https://theslideconverter.co.uk/

P.S. You can send them a sample of 5 slides that they'll do for free before deciding. After rummaging around I think we've got more like 1000, so I'm going to make sure it's worthwhile first.

On 14/11/2021 at 01:33, NotThePars said:

My letting agency are trying to invoice us for a plumber visit because it turned out that we called them out erroneously. Do they have a leg to stand on? I can't see anything in our tenancy agreement.

What's made me especially suspicious is their justification is because we said there was a leak and since there wasn't we're now responsible as there was no reason for the plumber being called. England seems a bit of an unfair shitehole but putting the responsibility for determining whether things are not working in a gaff on the renters sounds mental.

What did you mistake for a leak? Just being nosey..

43 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I was in Manchester for an Oasis gig in the early 2000s and as we were waiting for our train the next day we sat in Piccadilly Gardens.  It was summer and it was a nice day, people were eating their lunches and stuff like that but there was a guy laid out on the grass, completely unmoving and flat out for over an hour.  We noticed him and started watching him, I was genuinely worried he was dead.  A parkie/attendent person went over and roused him, it took a few attempts.

A few years later when Spice was a big thing there were loads of videos from Picadilly Gardens of drug addicts on Spice falling over and shuffling about.  In many ways the sparked out guy was a leader, a pioneer.

I remember it was like Dr Who for a while with spice zombies all around, standing stock still or just keeling over where they stood, quite often in front of buses or trams.

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Aye it's bad. There's frequently folk just totally zonked out lying in the middle of the street. The homelessness here is arguably worse than it is in Glasgow.

Kudos to the boys though they always have a well-deserved lie in on a Sunday.