Quick Question Thread

Tax question.

If you work in Scotland but live in England, do you pay Scottish tax rates or English tax rates? A mate of mine is thinking of moving jobs. He would be working at home in England most of the week, coming to the office in Scotland maybe once a week, and isn't sure what tax rates he would pay. If it's the Scottish rates he would take home less money.

41 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Tax question.

If you work in Scotland but live in England, do you pay Scottish tax rates or English tax rates? A mate of mine is thinking of moving jobs. He would be working at home in England most of the week, coming to the office in Scotland maybe once a week, and isn't sure what tax rates he would pay. If it's the Scottish rates he would take home less money.

He'll pay English taxes.

If you do not live in Scotland
If you live outside of Scotland, you’ll not be a Scottish taxpayer and none of the following will make you a Scottish taxpayer:

national identity - you regard yourself as being Scottish
location of work - you work in Scotland
you receive a salary or pension from a Scottish employer or pension provider
you travel in Scotland - for example, driving a lorry in, or frequent work visits to Scotland

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/work-out-if-youll-pay-the-scottish-rate-of-income-tax

4 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I am relatively new to Dundee, what is the back story to this?

Some lunatics on here trying to pretend this pub is known as Speedies. 

It's not even a lorne/square chippy/chipper thing. Have genuinely never heard it referred to as Speedies outside this site.

I have been drinking there since I was 16.

Screenshot_20211112-143242_Chrome.jpg

27 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's not even a lorne/square chippy/chipper thing. Have genuinely never heard it referred to as Speedies outside this site.

Same principle as Stenhousemuir getting known recently as Stenny. 

Guid wee boozer though. Nae Frieda Kahlo imaginary visits unfortunately. 

8 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Same principle as Stenhousemuir getting known recently as Stenny. 

Guid wee boozer though. Nae Frieda Kahlo imaginary visits unfortunately. 

Greenie for the Marra reference.

I wonder if Angela Gunn was a wid.

9 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

The only other acceptable name would be Ma Mennies.

14 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I am relatively new to Dundee, what is the back story to this?

There are lunatics on here that are trying to name pubs by different names. You can't just walk into the trades but call it Asda. This is what is happening. 

Lunacy. 

Neighbour has decided to build a very large dog run/kennels. Apparently without planning permission. A lot of the other Neighbours (us included) are going to object it. Are we right to do so?? He has a dog boarding service , so it will be rather noisy at times.

20211113_095323.jpg

2 hours ago, philpy said:
Neighbour has decided to build a very large dog run/kennels. Apparently without planning permission. A lot of the other Neighbours (us included) are going to object it. Are we right to do so?? He has a dog boarding service , so it will be rather noisy at times.
20211113_095323.thumb.jpg.8fa34b3948dd21f88b73e21a9b106df4.jpg

Absofeckinlootely you should object. You can check the CEC Planning Portal (assuming you are in Edinburgh) to see if he has made an application. If he has, you would be a Notifiable Neighbour and should have already received your notification from the Council.

ETA - I'd guess he knows that he'd never secure a consent for anything connected with commercial dog boarding in a residential area, so he'll wing it by saying it's for his domestic pets. You should get together with other neebs and submit individual letters of complaint to the council. The actual number of complaints is important.

In your letter you can mention stuff like smells, disposal of dugshite, potential parasite infestation (environmental health) as well as the obvious noise. You can also reference the following, quoting the Planning Reference number.

https://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=LE8KKWEW7N000

http://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/files/82DDDBCD555C9495E9A206C509A118C5/pdf/10_03660_FUL-DECISION_NOTICE___REPORT-1169075.pdf

This is a link to a planning application from 2011, similar to your neighbour. It was refused by the council. You can read the report and decision plus all the associated documentation in connection with the application. Note the Planning Officer's reference to Policy Hou 8 -

Policy Hou 8 - Inappropriate Uses in Residential Areas (this is a City of Edin. policy Philpy - if you're outwith Edin., I'd expect your own council to have something equivelant)

Developments, including changes of use, which would have a materially detrimental effect on the living conditions of nearby residents will not be permitted.

6.31 The intention of the policy is firstly, to preclude the introduction or intensification of non-residential uses incompatible with predominantly residential areas and secondly, to prevent any further deterioration in living conditions in more mixed use areas which nevertheless have important residential functions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your neighbour is at it............................................get it sorted.😉

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

1 hour ago, philpy said:

20211113_095323.jpg

Although this is Fife Council, your local authority will have the same regulations.

Animal boarding licence | Fife Council

On 12/11/2021 at 11:04, scottsdad said:

A mate of mine is thinking of moving jobs. He would be working at home in England most of the week, coming to the office in Scotland maybe once a week, 

Bleedin' English, coming up here, taking our jobs...

On 11/11/2021 at 17:36, Mr. Alli said:

Don't think there are any tutors in, Dundee. Know of a couple central and West. Take them to the Olde Mill, just play on the 50p pool tables. JP and Donna will see you right and you be made more than welcome mate. 

Fantastic advice my friend.

Took the youngest in earlier on today and he loved it. A very welcoming place, we will be making it a weekly thing.

My letting agency are trying to invoice us for a plumber visit because it turned out that we called them out erroneously. Do they have a leg to stand on? I can't see anything in our tenancy agreement.

What's made me especially suspicious is their justification is because we said there was a leak and since there wasn't we're now responsible as there was no reason for the plumber being called. England seems a bit of an unfair shitehole but putting the responsibility for determining whether things are not working in a gaff on the renters sounds mental.

27 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

My letting agency are trying to invoice us for a plumber visit because it turned out that we called them out erroneously. Do they have a leg to stand on? I can't see anything in our tenancy agreement.

What's made me especially suspicious is their justification is because we said there was a leak and since there wasn't we're now responsible as there was no reason for the plumber being called. England seems a bit of an unfair shitehole but putting the responsibility for determining whether things are not working in a gaff on the renters sounds mental.

That you called a plumber when there was no need is down to you. 

Edited by The_Kincardine

17 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Fantastic advice my friend.

Took the youngest in earlier on today and he loved it. A very welcoming place, we will be making it a weekly thing.

Code: I grannied the wee bugger.

Tune in next week for Johnny’s response when he’s hammered 10-1 and snapped the cue over his leg in a fit of rage.

8 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Up here what usually happens if there is a problem is the tenant calls the letting agent  to let them know and the agent phones the plumber/contractor  to have a look and give a price for the work. The agent passes the quote onto the owner and the owner decides if they want to accept the price. 

The tenant doesn't get to choose what work gets carried out in the property and then tell the owner to pay for it.

8 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Letting agencies will usually have a contract arrangement with certain plumbers. Think this ones all on you, neebs. Take the L and learn for next time!