Quick Question Thread

10 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Last year my Gran died a couple of years after my Papa. They left their house to my sister and that's the estate finally settled so the house is now in our names.

My sister wants to buy me out my half as it's a great house for her and her partner and too small for my family. So it's mutually beneficial all round to do so.

To keep things correct we got a home report done and now have the property questionnaire to do.

However, a lot of the questions are worded in a way such as "have you done x, y or z since you owned the property?" and we are a bit confused, as technically 'we' have only owned the property for a month but it's been in our family for 30 years.

Do we answer the questions 100% as asked, as if we had only discovered the property a month ago? Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Would appreciate any advice.

Have you stolen half a house from your sister?

5 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Where has the property questionnaire come from and what kind of questions are being asked?

Shouldn't the home report have answered most of these?

Property questionnaire is one of the forms you have to fill in to get a home report is it not?  Asks about things like what utility providers you use and can you get cable and that kind of stuff.

28 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Last year my Gran died a couple of years after my Papa. They left their house to my sister and that's the estate finally settled so the house is now in our names.

My sister wants to buy me out my half as it's a great house for her and her partner and too small for my family. So it's mutually beneficial all round to do so.

To keep things correct we got a home report done and now have the property questionnaire to do.

However, a lot of the questions are worded in a way such as "have you done x, y or z since you owned the property?" and we are a bit confused, as technically 'we' have only owned the property for a month but it's been in our family for 30 years.

Do we answer the questions 100% as asked, as if we had only discovered the property a month ago? Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Would appreciate any advice.

Questionnaire is only to provide some duty of care as a vendor and useful information for the buyer. And while I expect the valuation was useful for you both to ensure some sort of independence of view and not wanting the other to feel ripped off, you didn't really need a Home Report in the first place for an inter-family transaction when the house wasn't going on the open market. 

If you feel obliged to complete it because the Surveyor won't issue their report without it, just answer Don't Know / Not Applicable as appropriate,

Edited by alta-pete

19 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Property questionnaire is one of the forms you have to fill in to get a home report is it not?  Asks about things like what utility providers you use and can you get cable and that kind of stuff.

It might be prudent for Gaz to check out if there is any danger of inheritance tax, or capital gains tax entering into this situation.

10 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

It might be prudent for Gaz to check out if there is any danger of inheritance tax, or capital gains tax entering into this situation.

Inheritance tax maybe.  Doubt CGT would apply when you've only owned the property for a month unless it's shot up in value in that 4 weeks.  I'd hope the lawyers would be advising this as well.

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Inheritance tax maybe.  Doubt CGT would apply when you've only owned the property for a month unless it's shot up in value in that 4 weeks.  I'd hope the lawyers would be advising this as well.

You're probably right but see here from Gov.uk :

Overview

You don’t usually pay tax on anything you inherit at the time you inherit it.

You may need to pay:

Income Tax on profit you later earn from your inheritance, eg dividends from shares or rental income from a property

Capital Gains Tax if you later sell shares or a property you inherited

7 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

You're probably right but see here from Gov.uk :

Overview

You don’t usually pay tax on anything you inherit at the time you inherit it.

You may need to pay:

Income Tax on profit you later earn from your inheritance, eg dividends from shares or rental income from a property

Capital Gains Tax if you later sell shares or a property you inherited

Property would have to have gone up in value by about 25k in a month for CGT to be applicable (half the gain applied to the sister), unless of course Gaz has already used his CGT allowance for this year.

1 hour ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I’ve bought a Yorkie for the first time in a good while and it’s just a pure chocolate bar.

My question is did Yorkies not used to have a crunch bit at the top or bottom of each square? Or am I imagining things.

I've been eating Yorkies intermittently since the mid 80s and they've never had a crunchy layer. You did/do get raisin and biscuit ones in a burgundy wrapper but you'd need to be strange to think that was a crunch bit on the top or bottom. 

Either your memory or the sweet shop manny has been playing tricks on you. 

42 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I've been eating Yorkies intermittently since the mid 80s and they've never had a crunchy layer. You did/do get raisin and biscuit ones in a burgundy wrapper but you'd need to be strange to think that was a crunch bit on the top or bottom. 

Either your memory or the sweet shop manny has been playing tricks on you. 

Brings back memories of a joke from way back in the 80's.

This truck driver picked up a girl hitch-hiker just outside Glasgow and drove her all the way down to Carlisle.

Says she, "I'm really grateful to you for doing that - I wish I could pay you for this, but I don't have any money."

Says he, "disnae matter, hen, happy to be able to help you."

Says she, "wait a minute, I've just realised I'm sitting on something all truck drivers love. There is something I can give you for this"

Says he, "Oh Christ hen, have you been sittin' on ma Yorkie"

6 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Yeah that's already been checked, cheers. As said above the reason we got a home report done was so that everything's above board and my sister and I are content in feeling no-one's been under or overcharged.

I'll give the surveyor's a call tomorrow.

7 hours ago, Left Back said:

Have you stolen half a house from your sister?

:lol:

No idea how that happened. The original post was supposed to say "my sister and me".

9 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I’ve bought a Yorkie for the first time in a good while and it’s just a pure chocolate bar.

My question is did Yorkies not used to have a crunch bit at the top or bottom of each square? Or am I imagining things.

There was or maybe still is a honeycomb version of Yorkie so perhaps that's what you had.

1 hour ago, dysartrovers said:

Does anyone else boke when they blow their nose sometimes when they have a cold? Doesn't feel normal emoji23.png

Only if it's the flu. I can mind having a few very careful nose-blowings as my stomach felt keen to add to the cornucopia of fluids emerging from my head. Coughing can be worse, though.

6 hours ago, dysartrovers said:

Does anyone else boke when they blow their nose sometimes when they have a cold? Doesn't feel normal emoji23.png

Not boke as such but I had the norovirus once and let's just say I was scared to sneeze or blow my nose and my bahoochie was looking like the flag of Japan

8 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Not boke as such but I had the norovirus once and let's just say I was scared to sneeze or blow my nose and my bahoochie was looking like the flag of Japan

Oh God yes. Had Norovirus three or four years ago, and I only got up from a PVC recliner to run (then eventually walk, then crawl) to the lavvy. By the second week, I was so weak that I had to get people to bring me towels to put under myself. By the third week, I couldn't even bring myself to feel ashamed about it anymore.

Wee glimpse into the future in the P&B old folk's home. No hot tubs for old men  :shutup