Quick Question Thread

5 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Only The Shadow knows, Slippery..

Sent from a notorious Geisha House in Roppongi, Tokyo, by JapaTalk

Some c**t going to call you out Tam, (I was there never seen a fat c**t eating chips)

ETA - Are Cliff Richard, would explain.

Edited by SlipperyP

7 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Are the terms 'boozer' and 'pub' interchangeable, or does the latter have to sell 'pub grub' to qualify (i.e. scampi & chips, not just Smith's scampi fries)

A pub selling anything more than a pie at lunch time should not be called a pub. See also tea and coffee on the "menu"

7 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Are the terms 'boozer' and 'pub' interchangeable, or does the latter have to sell 'pub grub' to qualify (i.e. scampi & chips, not just Smith's scampi fries)

I would say that 'pub' implies a slightly more upmarket establishment, though not to the extent that it has to sell food. I'd find it hard to define a distinguishing line though.

10 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Being a lovable, jack the lad rogue. I call them battle cruiser and rub-a-dub-dub.

A battle cruiser would not sell food.

A pub selling anything more than a pie at lunch time should not be called a pub. See also tea and coffee on the "menu"
At least when folk tie up bar staff making nonsense cocktails the end goal is appropriate for the venue.

Being at a bar waiting to get served while the bartender p***ks about making steamed milk is seriously rage inducing.

My favourite example of coffee in a pib was the Oban Inn where someone ordered a coffee and the barmaid quite literally stuck the kettle on and produced a mug of Kenco for them.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

For me personally, a pub is somewhere where it's acceptable to go for a drink without being expected to order food, which may or may not be on offer.  However, such a description could also include bars, and I find it difficult to put the difference between a pub and a bar into words.

Do ISPs still send out warning letters to people about their illegal internet activity?

I started using a VPN for my nefarious activities when the government first brought that in, but I haven't heard anything about people being warned/disconnected in a while. Curious if the ISPs just paid lip service to start with and gave up as soon as the government were distracted by immigrants, or something.

(no, I'm not stupid enough to go back to connecting through anything fewer than seven proxies)

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Do ISPs still send out warning letters to people about their illegal internet activity?

I started using a VPN for my nefarious activities when the government first brought that in, but I haven't heard anything about people being warned/disconnected in a while. Curious if the ISPs just paid lip service to start with and gave up as soon as the government were distracted by immigrants, or something.

(no, I'm not stupid enough to go back to connecting through anything fewer than seven proxies)

image.thumb.jpeg.a0614d9cd5f82f65fbd5fe89913d187d.jpeg

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

I got a vpn to watch some Australian tv, when I logged on to 10play it basically said f**k off, you're using a vpn aren't you?

1 hour ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I got a vpn to watch some Australian tv, when I logged on to 10play it basically said f**k off, you're using a vpn aren't you?

Aye, your IP address will have shown up as being part of a range owned by whoever provides your VPN service. Companies like Netflix could've done more to block VPN users years ago...kinda says a lot that they didn't  :P

Couple of days ago I was watching YouTube and forgot I was still connected to Uganda or whatever, and a whole bunch of John Oliver videos appeared that I'd never watched before. Tried to play them on my phone from YouTube's play history without the VPN and they were all blocked. Presumably it's something to do with HBO licencing in different countries, but it was a bit weird as the blocked videos were years old and there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

Looking at the channel now and there are still loads that I've never seen, so...yay for VPNs?

30 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Has there ever been anyone on any of the "buying property abroad" shows that isn't a complete and utter arsepiece? 

Never. A constant procession of unlikeable/tight/rude/deluded cretins. 

Folk who seem genuinely perplexed that their £30k budget isn't going to get them a 6 bed, 4 bath apartment with a large terrace and sea views, or others who table an offer about 80k below the asking price and 'leave it on the table' when they invariably get told to gtf. I'm convinced half of them have no intention of actually buying anything and are just there for a nosy and a couple of days in the sun free gratis. 

I mainly watch for Laura Hamilton and big Jasmine right enough.

41 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Folk who seem genuinely perplexed that their £30k budget isn't going to get them a 6 bed, 4 bath apartment with a large terrace and sea views, or others who table an offer about 80k below the asking price and 'leave it on the table' when they invariably get told to gtf. I'm convinced half of them have no intention of actually buying anything and are just there for a nosy and a couple of days in the sun free gratis. 

That's kinda my take too.

Today's couple were asked right at the start if there was anything they DIDN'T want in a property? Reply, no.

1st 3 properties all had something about them that caused them to rule it out, all 3 reasons were something that obviously should have been highlighted when asked the initial question.

I left the room and left Mrs Ranter to it at that point, so I missed the end of the show where they offered 20% under the asking price, then were mystified when their offer was knocked back.

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

"I'm sorry that offer hasn't been acceped. The vendor says you're a cuñt and he wouldn't sell it to you at any price now. Perhaps you should fuĉk off and not bother staying in touch you classless bãstard. "