Quick Question Thread

5 minutes ago, deej said:

Has anyone heard of/used Go Fibre? 

Had a guy at the door offering up to 300Mb/s download for £24.99 a month, for a year (after that I think its something like £44.99/month). 

Thing is I've never heard of them, but I'm currently getting about 15Mb/s max from Sky, so it's tempting to see what they offer. Unless of course they're a bunch of cowboys, which given they have gone door to door, they probably are.

I know reviews aren't reliable because you don't bother leaving one if everything's fine, but it doesn't look great.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/gofibre.co.uk

4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

They have a website - must be legit

Perfect, I'll send them my bank details now

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I know reviews aren't reliable because you don't bother leaving one if everything's fine, but it doesn't look great.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/gofibre.co.uk

Yeah that's what's concerning me, apparently in another part of town there's a different company rolling out fibre to premises. 

I just want internet that lets me watch netflix while I'm supposed to be working

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I can save you time - just send them to me

Perfect, do you need my mothers maiden name and the last 3 numbers on the back of my card, or just my card number and PIN?

I would be wary of folk knocking my door to sell me something. Other than charities, nobody really does this any more, do they? If your product is any good you'll be able to market it online and it'll sell, the fact this mob are sending folk to do face to face sales in the hope that folk crumble and buy it just to get rid of them would be a red flag for me. 300mbps doesn't sound realistic to me, only really know of Virgin that can deliver those type of speeds (in my area anyway).

Just now, The Moonster said:

I would be wary of folk knocking my door to sell me something. Other than charities, nobody really does this any more, do they? If your product is any good you'll be able to market it online and it'll sell, the fact this mob are sending folk to do face to face sales in the hope that folk crumble and buy it just to get rid of them would be a red flag for me. 300mbps doesn't sound realistic to me, only really know of Virgin that can deliver those type of speeds (in my area anyway).

CR Smith were round last year and we’d been humming and hawing about maybe getting new windows and just went for it with them due to the door stepping call. 

Even the Jehovah's Witnesses don't seem to be coming round the doors any more. Last week the postie delivered an envelope with no name but my full address. Turned out to be an invite to an on-line JW conference, which the text implied had been sent to everybody in the area.

The pleasing thing is that it must have cost them a hell of a lot in stamps.

Last time I had a door to door person, they were asking if I wanted milk delivered in the morning, which (as this morning reminded me) is a great old skool novelty.

Thing is, I've had folk say "you get your's delivered too? Is this some sort of hip and trendy thing that young folk are into?".  Well, no.  Somebody came to the door, asked if I wanted fresh milk delivered cold to the door every third morning, and I said "aye".   Also, if I'm part of something, then it's unlikely to be 'trendy'.

Last time I had a door to door person, they were asking if I wanted milk delivered in the morning, which (as this morning reminded me) is a great old skool novelty.
Thing is, I've had folk say "you get your's delivered too? Is this some sort of hip and trendy thing that young folk are into?".  Well, no.  Somebody came to the door, asked if I wanted fresh milk delivered cold to the door every third morning, and I said "aye".   Also, if I'm part of something, then it's unlikely to be 'trendy'.
I tried it a few months ago but there was literally nothing that they delivered that was in any way better than what we get at the shops. It just costs more.

Got rid after a few weeks.

8 hours ago, The Moonster said:

The previous owner of my house had a no cold calling sign my the door and I've never taken it down. Still get the odd person knocking, but most spot it and turn away again. Nice not being bothered.

7 hours ago, GordonD said:

Even the Jehovah's Witnesses don't seem to be coming round the doors any more. Last week the postie delivered an envelope with no name but my full address. Turned out to be an invite to an on-line JW conference, which the text implied had been sent to everybody in the area.

The pleasing thing is that it must have cost them a hell of a lot in stamps.

I had similar through the other day, and the note was hand written! Love the thought of a wee old Jehovah wifie sitting and writing out the same note a thousand times over, for the vast majority to be ripped up and binned. Lovely.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

I tried it a few months ago but there was literally nothing that they delivered that was in any way better than what we get at the shops. It just costs more.

Got rid after a few weeks.

I like that it's always there for the morning, and that some local guys are getting the money instead of a supermarket.

I like that it's always there for the morning, and that some local guys are getting the money instead of a supermarket.
Yeah but my milk is always in the fridge, and as much as i like to support local businesses, I didn't enjoy paying more for exactly the same product.

To be fair, I probably had unrealistic expectations. Dairy products are fairly standard (unlike a bakery or a butchers) - but it just didn't do it for us.

14 hours ago, deej said:

Perfect, do you need my mothers maiden name and the last 3 numbers on the back of my card, or just my card number and PIN?

I don't really, but might be better to send them anyway just in case.

18 hours ago, The Moonster said:

300Mbps isn't going to happen, but to be honest if they can deliver 1/3rd of that then I'd be happy, as this is what I'm currently getting, just me in the house, nothing else running;

image.png.de3f6bc08a70136d8058d5043a47fd65.png

What's putting me off is the lack of actual detail as to how they are doing this. A wee mention of government vouchers, not sure when it'll go live etc. And the website doesn't help much either.

image.png.82e416023509bcfa6f3f09f573e02246.png

£25/month for a year, £45/month for the second year. So £35/month for 2 years of 300Mb/s fibre seems quite reasonable? There's just something in me that is hesitant and wants to stick with the companies I've actually heard of

2 minutes ago, deej said:

300Mbps isn't going to happen, but to be honest if they can deliver 1/3rd of that then I'd be happy, as this is what I'm currently getting, just me in the house, nothing else running;

image.png.de3f6bc08a70136d8058d5043a47fd65.png

What's putting me off is the lack of actual detail as to how they are doing this. A wee mention of government vouchers, not sure when it'll go live etc. And the website doesn't help much either.

image.png.82e416023509bcfa6f3f09f573e02246.png

£25/month for a year, £45/month for the second year. So £35/month for 2 years of 300Mb/s fibre seems quite reasonable? There's just something in me that is hesitant and wants to stick with the companies I've actually heard of

If they can deliver what they're saying it sounds a good deal to me. How quickly would it go live? If it goes live within the first 14 days you could install it, test the speed and if it's bollocks cancel it. I'm not sure what the rules are on stuff being mis-sold but you might be able to cancel after the 14 days if the service isn't what was sold?