Quick Question Thread

5 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Now, if I could afford it, I'd wear a crisp new white cotton shirt every day, Don Draper style. 

I used to keep a couple in my desk drawer back in the glorious days when I couldn't be sure I'd make it back to my own flat.

Recently switched gas supply from SSE to Octopus Energy. My readings have went up over 700 in a month which has led to a £300 additional bill to what I normally pay. There is no leak that I can distinguish, I have not used my heating at all in about 3 month as you could expect with the heat and it's only used for cooking a meal here and there. I take regular pictures of the meter and it normally goes up about 20-30 per month, but this past month since the switch has seen that huge increase.

My first month bill with Octopus Energy is nearly £500-odd but I can't determine what the issue is.

Anyone with any experience in this field any ideas?

Recently switched gas supply from SSE to Octopus Energy. My readings have went up over 700 in a month which has led to a £300 additional bill to what I normally pay. There is no leak that I can distinguish, I have not used my heating at all in about 3 month as you could expect with the heat and it's only used for cooking a meal here and there. I take regular pictures of the meter and it normally goes up about 20-30 per month, but this past month since the switch has seen that huge increase.
My first month bill with Octopus Energy is nearly £500-odd but I can't determine what the issue is.
£500 a month? f**k me.

I've got a small family house (2 and a 1/2 bedrooms) and I'm paying £86 pm for both gas and electric.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

£500 a month? f**k me.

I've got a small family house (2 and a 1/2 bedrooms) and I'm paying £86 pm for both gas and electric.

Aye, I've no idea what's going on and the suppliers aren't much help. I'm in a 2 bedroom flat with my missus. Crazy.

Are you running a death row with an electric chair for people calling ice poles “tip tops”?

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

We had a similarly mental first bill with Octopus, leckie only mind. Worked out it was because the landlord had replaced the storage heaters for an electric boiler but kept the economy 10 meter in so we were burning a fortune keeping the place warm during the day in Winter while WFH. Tbf they were very good once we worked out what was going on, put us on a flat rate and backdated it, wiping off what we had built up.

Not sure this helps at all but once you find out what's happened they'll generally be sound enough. Short of there being an unidentified leak or a problem with the meter there's no way that's accurate. I used to work for SSE yonks ago so don't really remember the protocol but is there like a creep test you can do for gas? 

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Neighbours nicking your lecky and growing weed in the attic?

2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

We had a similarly mental first bill with Octopus, leckie only mind. Worked out it was because the landlord had replaced the storage heaters for an electric boiler but kept the economy 10 meter in so we were burning a fortune keeping the place warm during the day in Winter while WFH. Tbf they were very good once we worked out what was going on, put us on a flat rate and backdated it, wiping off what we had built up.

Not sure this helps at all but once you find out what's happened they'll generally be sound enough. Short of there being an unidentified leak or a problem with the meter there's no way that's accurate. I used to work for SSE yonks ago so don't really remember the protocol but is there like a creep test you can do for gas? 

We actually do have an economy 10 meter as well. That was all discussed and planned for at the time we swapped over though so it's well known about. Not sure. Octopus Energy have sent me an e-mail asking me for SSE's final reading and we'll go from there.

We are on standard gas, but our landlord too has kept the economy 10 meter since the property previously had storage heaters. We're on the list to get that changed but Covid has delayed things. It's a b*****d.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

We actually do have an economy 10 meter as well. That was all discussed and planned for at the time we swapped over though so it's well known about. Not sure. Octopus Energy have sent me an e-mail asking me for SSE's final reading and we'll go from there.

We are on standard gas, but our landlord too has kept the economy 10 meter since the property previously had storage heaters. We're on the list to get that changed but Covid has delayed things. It's a b*****d.

Aye it's a sickener, good news with this stuff is they're never wanting the money immediately (in fact they said to us they wouldn't even ask us to change our DD) so as long as they work out the issue should be grand. Doesn't stop that horrible feeling when you first see it though, my GF tried to have us sitting in the dark for a week until it was sorted 

1 hour ago, Raidernation said:

Are you running a death row with an electric chair for people calling ice poles “tip tops”?

37 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Neighbours nicking your lecky and growing weed in the attic?

How would those affect his gas bill?

42 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

but is there like a creep test you can do for gas? 

First, buy a canary...

How come nobody else ever started a competing ghostbusting franchise? It looked like they were raking it in, and I can't believe Egon was so smart that nobody else could have invented similar equipment.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

How come nobody else ever started a competing ghostbusting franchise? It looked like they were raking it in, and I can't believe Egon was so smart that nobody else could have invented similar equipment.

I think you seriously overestimate the business potential here.  I have been to New York and not once did I encounter any of the supernatural phenomena that occur in the film.  I suspect they have exaggerated it a bit.

Also you would probably need financial assistance getting started here.  I am not sure how Egon managed it but I doubt my bank manager would take it seriously.  After all there are recognised experts in the field whereas I am a total unknown.   I don't know how I could calculate business growth and profit let alone the time it would take to pay back any loan.

Also I am not sure it was all that lucrative for Egon and the others.

Maybe that is why.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Looking for someplace to go for two  nights that will be relaxing and no more than 2hrs from Dundee. 

Friday & Saturday. 

£150 per night max. 

I hear Strathclyde is good around this time of year