Quick Question Thread

18 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
42 minutes ago, Tony Ferrino said:
We're currently living in England and the kids are due to finish school on Wednesday. It's my dad's funeral a week on Thursday so I'm keeping them off all this week just in case they get snagged in a covid bubble thingy. His funeral was due to be on the 12th but my brothers daughter caught it so we had to rearrange. 
I'm getting moaned at a lot, especially from my 14 year old daughter who's going to miss her last day at school, but would you do any different?

The majority of folk bagged the last day of school. Is there a reason she wants to attend? If exams are all done then I think it's a case of "tough". I think your dad's funeral is more important than a final day skive for your daughter IMO.

Yeah, I know. My wife's a teacher and my daughter is quite rightly saying she should now miss her end of term meal (girls are so stubborn). The logic would then be for us all to effectively isolate until the funeral which would mean my youngest son missing football training on Saturday and my eldest not being able to go to the gym. I do get her point of view.

3 hours ago, Tony Ferrino said:

She wants to go in because she's getting mushy about the last day of term. I know what to do but just finding it difficult.

Tell she is going, out of respect for you and her grandad. Her pals can wait! Time to put the foot down.

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

Tell she is going, out of respect for you and her grandad. Her pals can wait! Time to put the foot down.

Yep, we're doing that. Just to add to the lolz , my mum, who was ok this time last year, is now confined to a dementia ward under a section 3 and can't retain for longer than an hour that dad has gone. I ended up breaking it to her all over again a couple of weeks ago and she said "why has no one told me?" Everyone at the hospital has advised against us taking her to the funeral. My daughter was particularly close to both of them. If I can't get my head round this, how can I expect her to? 

8 hours ago, Tony Ferrino said:

She wants to go in because she's getting mushy about the last day of term. I know what to do but just finding it difficult.

No she's not. She's got an appointment with 3 litres of White Lightning in the swing park.

15 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Don't see a problem really. 

Have you done this your entire life? If so, say you were playing football one day and you got changed into your kit, including some football socks. When you've finished playing football and go to get changed back into your clothes, would you put the same socks you had on before or would you put a brand new pair on?

20 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Have you done this your entire life? If so, say you were playing football one day and you got changed into your kit, including some football socks. When you've finished playing football and go to get changed back into your clothes, would you put the same socks you had on before or would you put a brand new pair on?

Nah, it's only since the wife discovered cheap bulk buys of socks online. 2 or 3 years maybe. She buys like a gross at a time, here's what's left from the last order -

20210720_113104.thumb.jpg.2c5212c6e2b1b99b5aa3a07d0a804fd1.jpg

8 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Nah, it's only since the wife discovered cheap bulk buys of socks online. 2 or 3 years maybe. She buys like a gross at a time, here's what's left from the last order -

20210720_113104.thumb.jpg.2c5212c6e2b1b99b5aa3a07d0a804fd1.jpg

I find it even more bizarre that it's something you've only done for 2 or 3 years, but at least the wastage isn't as much as I'd feared.

Honestly don't see the problem, no worse than folk using disposable nappies with their bairns. 

Now, if I could afford it, I'd wear a crisp new white cotton shirt every day, Don Draper style. 
I mean, its wildly different to disposable nappies though

1 minute ago, Newbornbairn said:

Honestly don't see the problem, no worse than folk using disposable nappies with their bairns. 

Now, if I could afford it, I'd wear a crisp new white cotton shirt every day, Don Draper style. 

It's just not the same as using disposable nappies, far from it.  Socks are not manufactured/sold with the concept of one use only in mind.  

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

I mean, its wildly different to disposable nappies though

Not if you shit in your socks twice a day.

No, it's closer to using cloth nappies and then throwing them out rather than washing them.

https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2019/09/23/costo-moda-medio-ambiente 

I think you're using socks wrong.

17 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Has anyone else recently had the problem with downloading gifs/memes and you go into your gallery and they're not there?

If it's not my new S21+ continuing to be a useless piece of shite and me pining for a return to my S7, I'm guessing certain sites have a block on their images being downloaded. 

I have the same phone, I downloaded the giphy app, and when you save one from there it creates a folder in your gallery. 

5 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

No. The clue with disposable nappies is in the name. Disposable.