Quick Question Thread

44 minutes ago, 101 said:

Does anyone know anyone who got an electric shock from flicking a switch with wet hands? 

Did that as a kid. Upstairs shower was leaking and water was running out the light switch. I never noticed it. Quite enjoyed the buzz if you’ll excuse the pun. Really rattled the internal organs. 

Does anyone know anyone who got an electric shock from flicking a switch with wet hands? 
Did that as a kid. Upstairs shower was leaking and water was running out the light switch. I never noticed it. Quite enjoyed the buzz if you’ll excuse the pun. Really rattled the internal organs. 
Least surprising reply ever?

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Least surprising reply ever?

Got a proper shock a few years back and ended up in the ERI as my heart went a bit funny. Was hooked up to a heart monitor thing. Doctor came in with some medical students and told them “we have to keep ones like this in for four hours. Last week we had one just like this who got electrocuted when fitting an oven. Seemed fine but then his heart just stopped”. They then all looked sympathetically at me and shuffled off. 

1 hour ago, Peter Grant said:

Got a proper shock a few years back and ended up in the ERI as my heart went a bit funny. Was hooked up to a heart monitor thing. Doctor came in with some medical students and told them “we have to keep ones like this in for four hours. Last week we had one just like this who got electrocuted when fitting an oven. Seemed fine but then his heart just stopped”. They then all looked sympathetically at me and shuffled off. 

I think doctors can get inured to shit that's horrific to the average punter. My mum was diagnosed with mentally high blood pressure years ago during a routine GP visit; the way she found out was when the doctor said, "I'm going to call an ambulance for you before you stroke out and die in the waiting room"  :blink:

12 minutes ago, TAFKAM said:

Was he saying this to you while you were drinking your 14th or 15th espresso of the day?

They do a very good mocha in the ERI. 

Didn’t do me any harm. Just had a Red Bull now about to do some skipping. Made it to 43 and that’s quite old in my family.

0BDF718F-EDDD-4B5A-AB06-DC2181745F35.jpeg

Edited by Peter Grant

4 hours ago, Peter Grant said:

They do a very good mocha in the ERI. 

Didn’t do me any harm. Just had a Red Bull now about to do some skipping. Made it to 43 and that’s quite old in my family.

0BDF718F-EDDD-4B5A-AB06-DC2181745F35.jpeg

Posted 3 hours ago.

By now he's either managed to hang himself by accident with the rope or tripped over it and broken a limb.

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Posted 3 hours ago.

By now he's either managed to hang himself by accident with the rope or tripped over it and broken a limb.

Shandon Francis Spencer Par only ever does himself a mild whoopsie through his day to day calamities with no real damage done, I can only imagine how much his life insurance premiums are.

We moved home two years ago, had some bother with the roof. Had someone round today to look at it and it's a state apparently, not storm damage but just bodged work prior to us moving in. Will we have any recourse with the surveyors?

20 minutes ago, placidcasual said:

We moved home two years ago, had some bother with the roof. Had someone round today to look at it and it's a state apparently, not storm damage but just bodged work prior to us moving in. Will we have any recourse with the surveyors?

Depends if you commissioned a full survey report, or just went with the home report (which is more of a valuation than a survey).

11 minutes ago, placidcasual said:

Just a home report, I'm guessing we're snookered then?

From memory,  the home report is just the equivalent of the old scheme 1 valuation from back in the day, and the surveyor is only really putting a valuation for mortgage purposes on the property, and will point out any obvious flaws/defects without doing any serious digging.

If you commissioned whatever today's equivalent is of a scheme 2 or above, the surveyor is working for you, and has more responsibility to go under the floor, up into the roof space etc, and do a more extensive inspection.

I'm sure some P&Ber will have more up to date knowledge, and will be able to correct anything I've got wrong. It's over 20 years since I was a mortgage underwriter, and all the houses I've bought in the last 20 years have been either brand new, or under 10 years old and within NHBC guarantee, so a scheme 1/home report was all that was really needed.

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Depends if you commissioned a full survey report, or just went with the home report (which is more of a valuation than a survey).

2 hours ago, placidcasual said:

Just a home report, I'm guessing we're snookered then?

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

From memory,  the home report is just the equivalent of the old scheme 1 valuation from back in the day, and the surveyor is only really putting a valuation for mortgage purposes on the property, and will point out any obvious flaws/defects without doing any serious digging.

If you commissioned whatever today's equivalent is of a scheme 2 or above, the surveyor is working for you, and has more responsibility to go under the floor, up into the roof space etc, and do a more extensive inspection.

I'm sure some P&Ber will have more up to date knowledge, and will be able to correct anything I've got wrong. It's over 20 years since I was a mortgage underwriter, and all the houses I've bought in the last 20 years have been either brand new, or under 10 years old and within NHBC guarantee, so a scheme 1/home report was all that was really needed.

All of the above are correct. These days, unless you commissioned a full Building Survey, it’s limited to what they can see from floor levels and anything hidden is out of scope. In most cases you’d be lucky if the Surveyor even slowed to second gear on his way past. 

If there was an evident sag in the roof visible from outside, then I’d say they were likely deficient but proving that to be the case is a whole different ball game. 

But then a full Building Survey will cost upwards of £2k so you can see why prospective buyers aren’t willing to shell that out on spec when virtually everything is currently going to a closing date. 

Thats the deficiencies of the market my friend. Pays yer money, ye takes yer chances. Would you have spent £2k on a full survey? If yes, you should’ve done! If no, thems the breaks I’m afraid…

Edited by alta-pete

2 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

All of the above are correct. These days, unless you commissioned a full Building Survey, it’s limited to what they can see from floor levels and anything hidden is out of scope. In most cases you’d be lucky if the Surveyor even slowed to second gear on his way past. 

If there was an evident sag in the roof visible from outside, then I’d say they were likely deficient but proving that to be the case is a whole different ball game. 

But then a full Building Survey will cost upwards of £2k so you can see why prospective buyers aren’t willing to shell that out on spec when virtually everything is currently going to a closing date. 

Thats the deficiencies of the market my friend. Pays yer money, ye takes yer chances. Would you have spent £2k on a full survey? If yes, you should’ve done! If no, thems the breaks I’m afraid…

When my son was buying recently the reports said the roof had been examined using binoculars.