Quick Question Thread

Nigeria's population is set to double to roughly the same as that of the EU by 2050. Are we soon going to see the rise of African nations at the World Cup through sheer demographics alone?
Given the records in world cups of China and India, maybe not.

6 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Nigeria's population is set to double to roughly the same as that of the EU by 2050. Are we soon going to see the rise of African nations at the World Cup through sheer demographics alone?

We're now 20 years overdue from Pele's prediction that one would win it by 2000, and I've no idea why that's the case...if anything the African sides have regressed in the last few world cups...the odd one's got out of the groups but they never seem to get much deeper into the competition.

8 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

We're now 20 years overdue from Pele's prediction that one would win it by 2000, and I've no idea why that's the case...if anything the African sides have regressed in the last few world cups...the odd one's got out of the groups but they never seem to get much deeper into the competition.

China won the East Asian Cup in 2005 and 2010 I'm sure Pele of all people counts that as a major honour. :whistle

4 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Pulling an excuse out of my arse...I remember one African coach complaining that most of his squad played in Europe, and they didn't get as much time together as the European nations due to travelling and their club sides putting pressure on not to go home for games they considered to be less important than whatever shite is happening in the Champions League. No idea how true that is, but is sounds feasible. I know some countries end up putting on "home" friendlies in Europe as it's easier to get everyone together.

Also, Pele's predictions are dugshite. Mind when Colombia were going to win the World Cup in '94. Countries must dread his vote of confidence.

11 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Depends on what result the home team needs

A big wedge, hookers and ching if they're playing Dundee United in the European Cup Semi Final

Ten quid, some dodgy eccies and a go at the captain's sister if it's an East of Scotland League Cup Semi Final

Some smash found in the social club toilets, a can of out of date lager and the fermer to look the other way while you chase his sheep if it's the South of Scotland League

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Pulling an excuse out of my arse...I remember one African coach complaining that most of his squad played in Europe, and they didn't get as much time together as the European nations due to travelling and their club sides putting pressure on not to go home for games they considered to be less important than whatever shite is happening in the Champions League. No idea how true that is, but is sounds feasible. I know some countries end up putting on "home" friendlies in Europe as it's easier to get everyone together.

Also, Pele's predictions are dugshite. Mind when Colombia were going to win the World Cup in '94. Countries must dread his vote of confidence.

I thought of that too, but the same issue of most of their players being based overseas doesn't seem to hurt the South American teams much. I wonder if it's down to African players putting more emphasis on their club careers rather than international football...most of their squads will have lived abroad since they were teenagers or will be part of the African diaspora and in some cases born abroad - while the likes of the South Americans will more often than not have started off in their domestic leagues.

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

I thought of that too, but the same issue of most of their players being based overseas doesn't seem to hurt the South American teams much. 

It does. They are shite these days.

When is the last time you could genuinely say a S.American team was the best in the world?

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

It does. They are shite these days.

When is the last time you could genuinely say a S.American team was the best in the world?

Brazil in the early 2000s?

Again, pulling things oot the erse, but I'd suggest Brazil and Argentina have been in a fallow period, while perhaps the other South American nations' performances have improved slightly. Uruguay have been back raiding the latter stages of the World Cup, and most of the others have made it out of the group stage, which is about as far as they ever get. The FIFA rankings (I know) have 7/10 CONMEBOL countries in the top 32 at the moment, so no doubt they'd argue that they get a bum deal.

Just for "fun", a World Cup giving each confederation qualification places based on the current top 32 in the FIFA rankings would see 18 countries from Europe, 7 from South America, 3 from Africa, 2 from North/Central America, and 2 from Asia. And one of the South American teams would be Venezuela  :blink:

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

No, I think it might be the brakes rubbing, might have gotten out of alignment. No-one on here was smart enough to suggest that though.

^^^ Mechanic tightened fan belt, charged for new set of brakes

On 06/04/2021 at 20:26, Mr. Alli said:

How would one go about becoming a football referee? 

My friend is a referee. She has did some international women's games. Also know Dycers son who is now a referee also so aye local refs if you wanna find out bit more from them. 

4 hours ago, Robin.Hood said:

My friend is a referee. She has did some international women's games. Also know Dycers son who is now a referee also so aye local refs if you wanna find out bit more from them. 

If your friend is from Fife she's a good ref and a nice person! I think the refs doing international games get looked after quite well.

17 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

If I wanted to enquire about getting my windows replaced in a B listed building from sash wooden to something more energy efficient, how would I go about challenging it?

You'd need to contact Historic Scotland and the local council planning dept and plead your case. Precedent would be useful, for example has someone else done it? Failing which you might need to look at sticking with the existing timber type, but utilising a modern slimline double glazed unit within it. Expensive though.

13 hours ago, the jambo-rocker said:

If I wanted to enquire about getting my windows replaced in a B listed building from sash wooden to something more energy efficient, how would I go about challenging it?

Just tell the council that you are a one legged, cross dressing, gender neutral asylum seeker and they will probably have you sorted out within a week free gratis.

😂 what a bunch of humourless fannies..

Edited by supermik

2 hours ago, the jambo-rocker said:

You know those discussions you have with your other half over purchases/holidays/etc, where you do every possible bit of research, and produce a plan that ticks every box while costing as little as possible, but they just say "Naw, because I say so"?

That was my experience dealing with Glasgow City Council and Historic Scotland. I also consulted a few mates who are architects and property lawyers, and their advice was "You'll end up spending the difference on legal fees whether you win or not".