Quick Question Thread

2 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Suggestions welcomed. I will, of course, take it to a mechanic also.

I have rolled down the windows, turned up the heating, sent my bank details to a killie fan and driven to 12 Ruel Street with my maw.

giphy.gif.52817935d18637566bf202c97f6474f8.gif

One for the P&B petrolheads; why is my car squealing when I drive? Just started the last 24 hours. Not when braking (or not only when braking at least), but when driving generally. Hard to pin down a cause or occasion, but seems to happen when turning right or accelerating.
I have rolled down the windows, turned up the heating, sent my bank details to a killie fan and driven to 12 Ruel Street with my maw.
Sounds like a belt, possibly alternator belt. Does it give a loud squeal when started up cold?

Just now, Sweet Pete said:

Got some in the boot, but no idea what to spray it on. Everything?

It's the only way. 

I spoke to a mechanic about my right front tyre 'crunching' when I drive off after the car being stationary for any length of time. "It might just be a stone lodged behind the backplate getting lodged and then as you drive off, it'll come loose. It might fall out but it could be something more serious" 

I heard all that, all I've taken in is "it's a stone that's stuck and will fall out". 

Got two job interviews coming up. The first is this week and I’d take the job reasonably happily. The second is in a fortnight and the one I really want. What should I do if I get offered the first one- 

a) accept the job but be honest about going for another job

b) accept the job and keep quiet about the second interview and bump them if I get the job I want 

c) ask them to wait a couple of weeks before giving my decision 

1 minute ago, Empty It said:
15 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:
One for the P&B petrolheads; why is my car squealing when I drive? Just started the last 24 hours. Not when braking (or not only when braking at least), but when driving generally. Hard to pin down a cause or occasion, but seems to happen when turning right or accelerating.

Sounds like a belt, possibly alternator belt. Does it give a loud squeal when started up cold?

No.

1 minute ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Got two job interviews coming up. The first is this week and I’d take the job reasonably happily. The second is in a fortnight and the one I really want. What should I do if I get offered the first one- 

a) accept the job but be honest about going for another job

b) accept the job and keep quiet about the second interview and bump them if I get the job I want 

c) ask them to wait a couple of weeks before giving my decision 

B

2 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

It's the only way. 

I spoke to a mechanic about my right front tyre 'crunching' when I drive off after the car being stationary for any length of time. "It might just be a stone lodged behind the backplate getting lodged and then as you drive off, it'll come loose. It might fall out but it could be something more serious" 

I heard all that, all I've taken in is "it's a stone that's stuck and will fall out". 

Flux capacitor is fucked.

18 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Do you have a Bjork CD stuck in the stereo?

1 minute ago, Empty It said:
3 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:
No.

Could still be a belt, would inspect them and check they aren't loose or worn.

I'm wearing joggies.

1 minute ago, throbber said:

It’s probably a wheel bearing.

You're probably a wheel bearing.

Just now, Mr. Alli said:

I've just had to Google this you bastirt. 

🤣

18 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Could be your power steering fluid needs topped up.

3 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

I resemble that remark.

When you say it happens when you’re turning right is what makes me think it’s a wheel bearing and not a belt. Although the noise was a bit more low pitched to be described as a squeal when it happened to me.