Quick Question Thread

5 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

TBF, it’s a lot more complicated than just counting. They have to type each subsequent number into Google Image Search as well.

And some folk need a calculator to find out what the next number is.

17 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

TBF, it’s a lot more complicated than just counting. They have to type each subsequent number into Google Image Search as well.

You say that, but if you'd followed the thread you'd have seen how hard some find something as simple as that to do

Does anyone have any experience of those We buy any House type outfits that operate out there?

We don't have a massively onerous mortgage but as it would appear that I am incapable of functioning as a normal human being, I need to look at alternatives if I am not capable of bringing in a wage to help cover expenses.

We will never have any dependents so Inheritance is not an issue,  my question is will there be any ongoing fees to pay while living in the house after we "sell it" until we both cark it or do the company that buy the house just wait like vultures?

Does anyone remember a horrific BBC program about a teenager from a broken family who gets made homeless, sleeps rough, makes pals with another rough sleeper and eventually one of them gets murdered by an ex soldier who routinely kills homeless people? What was remarkable about it was that it was on in the middle of the day on weekdays in the slot that would usually be occupied by the likes of Padraig Post. Think it was a mini series. Saw it as a kid in the early 90s when I would have been off primary school ill and it struck me as really odd for a show like that to be on in the daytime. Possibly called Link or similar?

Does anyone remember a horrific BBC program about a teenager from a broken family who gets made homeless, sleeps rough, makes pals with another rough sleeper and eventually one of them gets murdered by an ex soldier who routinely kills homeless people? What was remarkable about it was that it was on in the middle of the day on weekdays in the slot that would usually be occupied by the likes of Padraig Post. Think it was a mini series. Saw it as a kid in the early 90s when I would have been off primary school ill and it struck me as really odd for a show like that to be on in the daytime. Possibly called Link or similar?
I don't remember a TV show, but I had a library book as a teenager with a very similar, possibly the same, plot. Think the boy ended up going home in the end only to find that his maw had killed herself. Right cheery story.

37 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

This? - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Cold_(Swindells_novel)#Television

14 minutes ago, Markka said:
42 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

I don't remember a TV show, but I had a library book as a teenager with a very similar, possibly the same, plot. Think the boy ended up going home in the end only to find that his maw had killed herself. Right cheery story.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

That's the fella. Jeezy peeps that makes for grim reading! What was that doing getting broadcast during the day on school days?

Just now, Sweet Pete said:

That's the fella. Jeezy peeps that makes for grim reading! What was that doing getting broadcast during the day on school days?

Nominated for Best Childrens Drama at the BAFTAs too! Will need to have a gander at this I think.

3 minutes ago, Markka said:
8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

That's it. I knew a journo was involved in the story somehow. Must have got the ending mixed up with some other grisly young-adult book

They all seem to be like that, don't they? Never been a fan of harrowing young adult fiction personally. Especially not when I was a young adult. Womans Weekly or a Take A Break for me thank you very much.

That's it. I knew a journo was involved in the story somehow. Must have got the ending mixed up with some other grisly young-adult book
Bit of digging has revealed my memory was conflating "Stone Cold" with a book called "Shadows" by Tim Bowler which also involves teenage homelessness. It wasn't quite as grim.

28 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

I don't know why I said "I'm sure" like that, of all the ones I got from school/the library to read I actually had a copy of that one. 

Now that I think about it, I did Stone Cold in standard grade English. One of the things we did when we were working on it was create a 4-page newspaper mock-up about the things happening in the story and homelessness. I spent about one period doing that then the rest of the time researching a historically accurate sports page with the correct teams and scores for whichever date I set it on. 

1 minute ago, Sweet Pete said:

It sounds very like Threads.

I've only ever heard of Threads through this forum and that sounds much more traumatising, although I suppose a live-action film made and set during a time of actual nuclear panic would feel more pertinent. One thing I do remember about Brother in the Land was two of the characters having having a baby post-bomb and it being born with no mouth. Nice image.

One for the P&B petrolheads; why is my car squealing when I drive? Just started the last 24 hours. Not when braking (or not only when braking at least), but when driving generally. Hard to pin down a cause or occasion, but seems to happen when turning right or accelerating.

Suggestions welcomed. I will, of course, take it to a mechanic also.

I have rolled down the windows, turned up the heating, sent my bank details to a killie fan and driven to 12 Ruel Street with my maw.