Quick Question Thread

IMG_20210316_234514172.thumb.jpg.2ea1a90ed2dbe0eb45d4601300ddfe0c.jpg

Which two teams are in the picture?

The badge on the stripey strip seems to have two stars on it and the Dandy Dons are the only Scottish team I know who have this.

Unless Alloa Athletic have started counting Stirlingshire Cup wins.

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

IMG_20210316_234514172.thumb.jpg.2ea1a90ed2dbe0eb45d4601300ddfe0c.jpg

Which two teams are in the picture?

The badge on the stripey strip seems to have two stars on it and the Dandy Dons are the only Scottish team I know who have this.

Unless Alloa Athletic have started counting Stirlingshire Cup wins.

The mighty Dumbarton have 2 stars on their strip.

Not that I'm claiming that's DFC in the picture, though.

Milk spilled in my fridge due to a burst (?) plastic milk bottle about a week ago.  I cleaned it as soon as i noticed, but the guff of sour milk was horrific in the following days.  I emptied the fridge and washed all the shelves, walls, storage boxes, etc, but the guff was still there.  I ordered some "fridge fresheners" online and they have been in place, along with 2 halves of lemon, for about 2 days.  The guff is still there, although not as strong as earlier, especially on the first door opening in the morning.

Any miracle cures or advice about getting rid of the guff ??  Maybe the "fresheners" take a few days to be effective, but other than doing another deep clean, i don't know what to do.

Cheers

40 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

Milk spilled in my fridge due to a burst (?) plastic milk bottle about a week ago.  I cleaned it as soon as i noticed, but the guff of sour milk was horrific in the following days.  I emptied the fridge and washed all the shelves, walls, storage boxes, etc, but the guff was still there.  I ordered some "fridge fresheners" online and they have been in place, along with 2 halves of lemon, for about 2 days.  The guff is still there, although not as strong as earlier, especially on the first door opening in the morning.

Any miracle cures or advice about getting rid of the guff ??  Maybe the "fresheners" take a few days to be effective, but other than doing another deep clean, i don't know what to do.

Cheers

Strike a match.

No, hang on, that's for the smell of a fart.

Maybe try farting in the fridge first?

43 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

Cheers

Stop saying guff for a start.

Sour milk reminds me of a story I had with a bloke on a plane in India.  For some reason we got round to talking about the way people smelled and I told him that when I came back from India I always reeked of curry due to eating curry 3 times a day for 2 weeks. 

He then said that for many Indians, westerners smelled like sour milk.

Make of that what you want. 

1 hour ago, hearthammer said:

Cheers

With my limited knowledge,  the smell is caused by bacteria. Spray your whole fridge with copious quantities of anti-bacterial spray. Especially the hard to get to bits, including the drain. 

1 minute ago, Boghead ranter said:

With my limited knowledge,  the smell is caused by bacteria. Spray your whole fridge with copious quantities of anti-bacterial spray. Especially the hard to get to bits, including the drain. 

Cheers for that. Will give that a go  👍

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Sour milk reminds me of a story I had with a bloke on a plane in India.  For some reason we got round to talking about the way people smelled and I told him that when I came back from India I always reeked of curry due to eating curry 3 times a day for 2 weeks. 

He then said that for many Indians, westerners smelled like sour milk.

Make of that what you want. 

I've heard the same for Japanese people - the volume of dairy products that we consume make us smell like sour milk to people from other parts of the world. As we're going for odd cultural phenomena, I've also heard that the average height in Japan increased by 4"-5" over the course of the 20th century, with a particular jump in the years following WWII due to the popularity of the red meat-based diet that the Americans brought with them.

Anyway, we had a very expensive fridge/freezer at work that ...something...had died in, and had been left to decompose with the power off. I scrubbed it all out, with occasional breaks to dry heave into a bucket, and then had the problem of removing the smell, which was ghastly. I tried scrubbing the insides with all sorts of chemical cleaners, using air fresheners, old remedies like filling the thing with citrus and baking soda, etc etc. We never even made a dent in the reek of putrefaction.

Sometimes it's just time to buy a new fridge  :P

51 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I've heard the same for Japanese people - the volume of dairy products that we consume make us smell like sour milk to people from other parts of the world. As we're going for odd cultural phenomena, I've also heard that the average height in Japan increased by 4"-5" over the course of the 20th century, with a particular jump in the years following WWII due to the popularity of the red meat-based diet that the Americans brought with them.

Might explain this as well.

GIF girl power girl weird - animated GIF on GIFER

3 hours ago, hearthammer said:

Cheers

wash with vinegar and put a bowl of soda crystals on the shelf to absorb the smell

4 minutes ago, aaa said:

wash with vinegar and put a bowl of soda crystals on the shelf to absorb the smell

Have tried the anti-bacterial spray but too early to see if it's worked 100%.  Will get and try the soda crystals if not gone by tomorrow.

Cheers 

On 17/03/2021 at 13:41, hearthammer said:

How would you describe the smell of sour milk ??   Milk scent ??

Tis no more than a descriptive and not worth getting hung up about.

Thanks for your contribution though.

Warm water and bleach down the bung hole (steady now!) at the back of the fridge. There will be a wee drain hole inside the fridge low down. Pouring cleaning stuff in there will help circulate cleaner air.

There will also be a tray under the fridge, hidden away. The milk may have seeped into it so putting the cleaning stuff in that hole will land it in with the milk and eventually it should all evaporate. Or, it may take some unscrewing but you could carefully take this tray out and pour away whatever manly liquid is swilling in there.

Chopping some lemon slices into a bowl of water and leaving it in the fridge will help too.

ETA - the drain hole may have a cap/stopper in it that just pulls out. 

Edited by Shandon Par Decorator