Quick Question Thread

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Why is "mince" used to describe something bad?

Surely everyone loves a bit of mince.

Mince is absolutely mince.

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Would that work when exposed to the weather?

A quick google suggests it will. I used a load of it to hold a gazebo up in the garden for a good while, it never failed me.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Got a leaky shed. Anyone got any ideas on stuff I can use to waterproof where the roof is nailed on? I've tried gutter sealant stuff around the nail heads, which works for a while but it seems to not be able to manage big fluctuations in temperature.

There was some miracle sealant spray being advertised to me on YouTube last week. Sprayed the inside of wicker baskets with it, then filled them with water without a drop spilled. If it's being advertised on YouTube, it must be quality.

No idea what it was called, so I recommend you search for the same things as me for a while and see if it comes up.

2 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Mince is absolutely mince.

Minception  :blink:

Anyone got solar panels on their house? We've just moved into a new build that came with 6 solar panels installed. I appreciate that there are a number of factors that will affect how much energy they produce (and its during the winter just now) but over the last 2 and a half months they've only generated 17kwh of energy.
I've checked over a 24 hour period, on a sunny day, and it didn't even generate 0.5kwh in that period.
Is this normal for the winter or should they be producing more?

Got a leaky shed. Anyone got any ideas on stuff I can use to waterproof where the roof is nailed on? I've tried gutter sealant stuff around the nail heads, which works for a while but it seems to not be able to manage big fluctuations in temperature.

Can you not just fling another layer of felt over it

In the early Nineties, did Toyah Wilcox host a late-night sex-themed TV show in which she came across as incredibly naive, or was that a dream?

I'd completely forgotten that she was Miss Scarlet on that terrible Cluedo show  :lol:

21 minutes ago, BFTD said:

In the early Nineties, did Toyah Wilcox host a late-night sex-themed TV show in which she came across as incredibly naive, or was that a dream?

I'd completely forgotten that she was Miss Scarlet on that terrible Cluedo show  :lol:

Good Sex Guide or something like that...she'd been completely off my radar for decades til someone posted this on FB recently featuring her and Robert Fripp's somewhat unconventional take on Metallica's Enter Sandman.

22 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Aye, that's the reason why she popped into my head too. Very impressive...technique  :lol:

I'd forgotten about Margi Clarke too. Goodness, it's warm in here.

Fripp looks a wee bit worried at times that she's going to have his eye out with one of thae things :)

I remember seeing him opening for Porcupine Tree maybe ten years back....it was just him sitting on stool improvising for maybe 40 minutes....the stage show such as it was was slide projections of his life and career. All well and good until a photo of her flashed up:

"BOOOOOOO!!!"

4 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Is there a DIY thread? If not can anyone advise, How east is it to replace loft insulation? Is it as simple as just ripping up and binning what’s there and putting new stuff down? Or is it something I should get a professional should do?

Yes, BUT..... be really careful about any wiring and cables etc lying about. Eg if you have spotlights with transformers in the roof, don’t just shove piles of insulation on top and have a read up on what to do.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Well I think it's best our pal Tunbridge is aware of all the potential hazards. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. 

He also needs to be careful not to fall through the trapdoor/hatch. That can/does hurt. Proper grown ups have to be careful not to bump their heads on the rafters too.

6 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

What's the logic behind The Dominican Republic playing at home against Serbia this evening?

I hear it's quite warm there, and Serbia is, well, not.