Quick Question Thread

On 19/12/2020 at 14:43, Bairnardo said:

Hopefully a 2021 project, but it depends on a few different things. 

The landlord and I put a new kitchen in flat I was in. Bought from IKEA. I took out the old one and build units. Think IKEA was less than a grand. 

£1400 to a couple polish boys and they fitted it 2.5 days including tiling and flooring.

4 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Everyone should be getting this tat when Covid has past through.  You can pick your own here..http://www.tattoodesigns24.com/

Sexy-Nurse-Pin-Up-Tattoo-455x600.jpg

There's something very unsettling about that pose, particularly since the observer appears to be looking down at her as if it's a wee lassie.

22 hours ago, coprolite said:

I've claimed on my car insurance for am accident. The other driver accepted responsibility no problem. Do i keep my no claims or does that depend on my policy? 

If the other party has accepted responsibility for it you should be claiming direct from them. If his insurers have contacted you take what they offer as you will usually get a nicer courtesy cars when yours is being repaired and you won't have an excess to pay. Plus your NCD won't be affected. Doesn't mean to say your premium won't increase at renewal though.

11 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

So far we've had a 9am wine drinker and I "I put 90% of my spare cash away for when I retire" asking why people would spend money in body modification and art. 

I suppose there’s worse things to spend your money on, like a season ticket for Dens.

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
12 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:
So far we've had a 9am wine drinker and I "I put 90% of my spare cash away for when I retire" asking why people would spend money in body modification and art. 

Still waiting for an answer on that, to be fair.

It's art.  

Just now, DiegoDiego said:
12 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Still waiting for an answer on that, to be fair.

Personally, I spend money on tattoos as I prefer the aesthetics of it rather than normal skin colour. I'm probably only about ~20% covered. Ideally I'd have been about 60%. I'd never get my face or neck done out of respect for my mother as she asked me that I promise not to. 

I regret some, but those are ones easily worked over. I have one I will most likely have to cover if I move into a career I'm in the pool for. It isn't in any way offensive but certain groups of people have an alarmingly high irrational hatred of the thing and confrontation in the career is both highly dangerous and stupid. 

It's money I have spare and it's something I truly like, I even enjoy looking through other artists work miles away. 

I doubt I will reach anywhere near retirement age so the idea of working my whole life in the hope I can have a wee pot of money to enjoy for a couple of years seems bizarre to me. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Personally, I spend money on tattoos as I prefer the aesthetics of it rather than normal skin colour. I'm probably only about ~20% covered. Ideally I'd have been about 60%. I'd never get my face or neck done out of respect for my mother as she asked me that I promise not to. 

I regret some, but those are ones easily worked over. I have one I will most likely have to cover if I move into a career I'm in the pool for. It isn't in any way offensive but certain groups of people have an alarmingly high irrational hatred of the thing and confrontation in the career is both highly dangerous and stupid. 

It's money I have spare and it's something I truly like, I even enjoy looking through other artists work miles away. 

I doubt I will reach anywhere near retirement age so the idea of working my whole life in the hope I can have a wee pot of money to enjoy for a couple of years seems bizarre to me. 

For me, tattoos belong a long way out to sea but I do concur with the retirement plan thing. I prefer to live to the best of my ability (which is not luxuriously by any means) now rather than curtailing life's pleasures now in the hope that I may live beyond work. Especially given the number of older people I have observed who retire and just wither away as they have no tangible purpose to get up anymore or those who have retired and snuffed it within a year. Keep working is the answer, not squirreling it away. 

Of course just my opinion.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I hope you reach retirement age.

31 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Without wanting to speak for you, things can happen in life that really give us a sense of how fragile life is. In turn, it can make you want to seize the day, don’t “just say no” and experience what life has to offer. 

37 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Cheers for the explanation.

As far as saving goes I've a few explanations for my behaviour:

1. It's not so much to have a wee pot to enjoy for a couple of years. It's to make sure I have basics like food, shelter and heating if/when I get too old to work. I won't have enough qualifying years to get a full state pension so I need to make sure I can provide for myself.

2. If things go well and I do accumulate a decent amount of cash then it means I can start working less as I get older. Switching to part-time five years before retirement so you can see more of your (grand-)kids probably isn't a bad thing.

3. Geographical arbitrage. I've saved up enough in the last four months or so  for me to spend a year and a half living in a country I enjoy. Again, if things go well I could retire and fifty and see out my days watching football in the sun rather than Elgin vs Thistle on a cold Tuesday.

4. Compound interest. Of course there's the usual caveat about prices going down as well as up, but generally speaking for someone in their thirties you have a choice: spend £10 today, or the equivalent of £40 when you retire.

5. Peace of mind. Knowing you have a lump sum in case of emergencies really frees you from a lot of stress. When you don't have much spare cash there's a lot of worry. Knowing that you can tell your shitty boss to go f**k himself and not stress about paying the bills afterwards makes a huge difference from grinding away at the same job knowing you can't afford to quit.

6. I said "for retirement" but of course I might use that money for something else. Like you, if my job/lifestyle changes and I need a car, I know I can go out and buy one tomorrow without much fuss. If I fall for some girl who talks me into a £10,000 wedding, well, I don't need to worry about getting into debt for that, either.

7. Most of the things I enjoy doing are free/very cheap anyway, so I'm not taking much of a lifestyle hit by saving. In my free time I'll listen to the football, go for a walk, play chess, learn a language, write, draw, read, cook, et cetera.

Edited by DiegoDiego

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Got a leaky shed. Anyone got any ideas on stuff I can use to waterproof where the roof is nailed on? I've tried gutter sealant stuff around the nail heads, which works for a while but it seems to not be able to manage big fluctuations in temperature.

Duct tape is always the answer, imo.