Quick Question Thread

How does one document the 'Scottish T' in writing?  You know, that back-of-the-top-of-the-mouth sound we often have for the double-t in e.g. "better".   Almost said "beh-ihr", but not quite.

No T is pronounced when spoken, but there's definitely a noise made, otherwise it would just be 'ber', which it isn't.  Therefore, you can't use an apostrophe as that suggests silence, which there isn't.  Is there another mysterious letter (to go alongside yogh) in the Scottish alphabet?  

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

How does one document the 'Scottish T' in writing?  You know, that back-of-the-top-of-the-mouth sound we often have for the double-t in e.g. "better".   Almost said "beh-ihr", but not quite.

No T is pronounced when spoken, but there's definitely a noise made, otherwise it would just be 'ber', which it isn't.  Therefore, you can't use an apostrophe as that suggests silence, which there isn't.  Is there another mysterious letter (to go alongside yogh) in the Scottish alphabet?  

Glottal stop?

Edited by mathematics

9 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Glottal stop?

I think you might be onto something there, thanks.  :)

So would "boʔle" be "bottle" then?  :unsure2:

The glottal stop is not a separate phoneme (or distinctive sound) in English, though it is one of the allophones of the t phoneme in some dialects (as in Cockney or Brooklynese “bo'l” for “bottle”). It functions as a phoneme in numerous other languages, however, such as Arabic and many American Indian languages.

What does RFVH mean in the context of p&b? 

Edit: yes that is the glottal stop written phonetically like this. But bottle wouldn't be written phonetically like that (boʔle) as you'd need to use the phoneme for the b, o and the le sound, if you know what I mean. 

If you're trying to write Scots dialect in standard English, I'd probably go bo'tle - the difficulty is non Scots speakers not having a fucking clue what would go in place of the apostrophe @Hedgecutter

Even if you look at some of Tom Leonard's stuff, he just writes the "t" despite pretty much everything else being transposed into the accent

https://www.tomleonard.co.uk/online-poetry-and-prose.html

"jiss try enny a yir fly patir wi me

stick thi bootnyi good style

so ah wull" 

Patir/Patter would have a glottal stop in the above example.

download (1).png

Edited by madwullie

On 25/11/2020 at 23:49, tamthebam said:

I've got a key for a Daf 33 if there are any collectors of obscure early 70s Dutch automatic cars out there...

It is not just an automatic.  It is a variomatic with a continuously variable transmission.   A friend of mine had one of those once.  In theory you can do 70 mph in reverse.

Maybe a good selling point if you aim for right market.  Just an idea.  HTH.  🙂

14 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Anyone ken if you can add multiple questions to a Facebook poll?

Nope, but if you find out there is a away let me know.

On Twitter you could do a thread of polls.

19 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

The back-of-the-throat click commonly used in some African languages is usually denoted by an exclamation mark. If the glottal stop is seen as the opposite of the click, then why not use the upside-down exclamation mark that appears in Spanish?

(Why does the term 'glottal stop' have a double t?)

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

It's possibly because I hinted that it might be the new Heads Gone thread.

It couldn't possibly be. The OP said only last week that it never bothered him in another topic. 

I, personally, never believed that for one second (and opening a topic regarding the very same account in the support section certainly doesn't support that either) do you believe the OP of that topic, Johnny? 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

It couldn't possibly be. The OP said only last week that it never bothered him in another topic. 

I, personally, never believed that for one second (and opening a topic regarding the very same account in the support section certainly doesn't support that either) do you believe the OP of that topic, Johnny? 

The OP was obviously bothered by it. As am I. Dotting accounts are annoying, I prefer bots to dots. I reported a dotting account the other day. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I admit to finding it bizarre that you think that creating an alias to pass dots around, without posting so nobody can return them, is not at all taking red circles too seriously and proper weirdo behaviour, but mentioning the phenomenon is tear stained Helen Lovejoy stuff. Each to their own 

35 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I admit to finding it bizarre that you think that creating an alias to pass dots around, without posting so nobody can return them, is not at all taking red circles too seriously and proper weirdo behaviour, but mentioning the phenomenon is tear stained Helen Lovejoy stuff. Each to their own 

I've never once said it isn't strange. All I have done is point out that following them around and crying because they don't post so you can't dot them back makes it exceptionally hypocritical to call them weirdos. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I've never once said it isn't strange. All I have done is point out that following them around and crying because they don't post so you can't dot them back makes it exceptionally hypocritical to call them weirdos. 

It would be a bit tricky to follow them around when they don't post, except under the username of the very shy oftw poster who set them up. Seeing as there is no way of replying to them I don't see anything tearful about posting about it. See it as a public information service.

30 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It would be a bit tricky to follow them around when they don't post, except under the username of the very shy oftw poster who set them up. Seeing as there is no way of replying to them I don't see anything tearful about posting about it. See it as a public information service.

Bothered, bothered, bothered...