Quick Question Thread

5 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Does everyone enjoy mince chips? 

5 hours ago, Rugster said:

Mince and chips are two separate parts of a dish. Macaroni cheese is one part. 

Mince and Macaroni with Chips elevates everything to the level of Nirvana.

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Mince and Macaroni with Chips elevates everything to the level of Nirvana.

I've discovered that my local butcher does 'macaroni burgers' (i.e. not burger and macaroni , macaroni and burger or macaroni and cheese burger etc) which consist of beef burger meat mixed in with macaroni cheese with a further injection of cheddar which bubbles out as it cooks.  

I have since learned to top it with a few slices of vintage extra mature cheese, and I hope it doesn't sound arrogant when I say that this combo in a roll is mankind's greatest ever achievement.

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I've discovered that my local butcher does 'macaroni burgers' (i.e. not burger and macaroni , macaroni and burger or macaroni and cheese burger etc) which consist of beef burger meat mixed in with macaroni cheese with a further injection of cheddar which bubbles out as it cooks.  

Try it with pasta through it. 

Taste Nom GIF by Awkward Daytime TV

34 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I have since learned to top it with a few slices of vintage extra mature cheese, and I hope it doesn't sound arrogant when I say that this combo in a roll is mankind's greatest ever achievement.

Thumbs Up Yours GIF - ThumbsUp Yours Approved - Discover & Share GIFs

7 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Favourite food of the SWAT team, after they have taken their cash out of the ATM machine, using the correct PIN number. 

See that noise, that's @Jacksgranda spontaneously combusting. 

Your makkin' me oot to be some kind of angry auld mannie...

OH is employed by a small independent company as an engineer. His contract is apparently in the process of being re-written as his job has changed to mostly on-site work rather than him driving a couple of miles up the road to the workshop to do repairs.

The company has a couple of vans but OH isn't getting one. As a result of him running round the UK in his 10yo 1.2l car it has now gotten to the point where there's no point in us shelling out for the extensive repairs it needs and we're looking for a new one. I've said to him that his new work contract should really include some sort of vehicle allowance given he's now looking at newer cars with a view to travelling a lot while carrying a lot of heavy tools rather than a wee run around that would be lucky to get more than 10 miles from our house.

Am I right or is this sort of thing unlikely to materialise? I remember getting extra money on top of my wage and petrol expenses in a job where I was using my car to visit different places around Scotland but I'm not sure how common it is.

I was reading P&B a short while ago and suddenly found that when I moved the mouse scroll wheel, instead of moving down the page it changed the size of the display. I restarted the computer and it's fine now but can anybody tell me what I might have done to cause it?

I was reading P&B a short while ago and suddenly found that when I moved the mouse scroll wheel, instead of moving down the page it changed the size of the display. I restarted the computer and it's fine now but can anybody tell me what I might have done to cause it?
Pretty sure theres a key you can hold where it does that. Did you have your finger on a key?

50 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

OH is employed by a small independent company as an engineer. His contract is apparently in the process of being re-written as his job has changed to mostly on-site work rather than him driving a couple of miles up the road to the workshop to do repairs.

The company has a couple of vans but OH isn't getting one. As a result of him running round the UK in his 10yo 1.2l car it has now gotten to the point where there's no point in us shelling out for the extensive repairs it needs and we're looking for a new one. I've said to him that his new work contract should really include some sort of vehicle allowance given he's now looking at newer cars with a view to travelling a lot while carrying a lot of heavy tools rather than a wee run around that would be lucky to get more than 10 miles from our house.

Am I right or is this sort of thing unlikely to materialise? I remember getting extra money on top of my wage and petrol expenses in a job where I was using my car to visit different places around Scotland but I'm not sure how common it is.

Realise the contract is being re-written, but do you have a copy of the terms your partner is currently working under? It might state in there what the entitlement is.

In my workplace we can claim back 47p per mile if we use our own cars for business (as well as any petrol/diesel expenses with a receipt). I think I've only ever had to use my own car once though, if it was a regular thing I'd be looking for a vehicle provided to me (cheaper in the long run for the company too).

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Realise the contract is being re-written, but do you have a copy of the terms your partner is currently working under? It might state in there what the entitlement is.

In my workplace we can claim back 47p per mile if we use our own cars for business (as well as any petrol/diesel expenses with a receipt). I think I've only ever had to use my own car once though, if it was a regular thing I'd be looking for a vehicle provided to me (cheaper in the long run for the company too).

I did say to him that they should really be providing a van for carrying heavy tools and such. He's used one of the vans in the past but I think they're now a bit past their best as well. I'll see if I can root out his current contract to see what it says regarding own vehicle use. Cheers!

2 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

I did say to him that they should really be providing a van for carrying heavy tools and such. He's used one of the vans in the past but I think they're now a bit past their best as well. I'll see if I can root out his current contract to see what it says regarding own vehicle use. Cheers!

Found this info here - https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/employment/employment-benefits-and-expenses/what-if-i-use-my-own-car-business-purposes#:~:text=If you use your own,- and NIC-free basis.

Edited by The Moonster

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
22 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Pretty sure theres a key you can hold where it does that. Did you have your finger on a key?

Not that I'm aware of.

11 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

stuck ctrl key?

No, it seems okay.