Quick Question Thread

2 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

If you have the link that would be great

There's a page here that seems to explain everything quite well: https://www.fmscout.com/a-championship-manager-0102-free-download.html

It basically amounts to:

• Download the (legally available) CD image
  • Install a CD/DVD drive emulator, like DAEMON Tools Lite, or the one they mention on the page above
  • Mount the image you downloaded, and it'll show up like a physical CD in Windows
  • Run the setup file from the 'CD' to install
  • Once it's done, download the final official patch (v3.9.68) for the game, and install it. IIRC, the game just doesn't work on modern machines without it

That should be you about ready to play, barring weird issues with modern machines, which you can always ask about in the Gaming forum on here, as folk are always re-installing CM 01/02. Once it's installed and working, you can search about for patches that people have made to update the game to modern league systems/teams/players. Says a lot that people are still doing that for games like this and Sensible World of Soccer!

On 29/07/2020 at 19:40, just me 2 said:

The one close to the train station does, was up working at the end of last year and stayed there, not sure what street it's on, maybe castle street. There used to be a pub across from it called the husband creche a few year ago, I do remember that because it was called something else now

Husband crèche was Korova Bar, closed now. It's the Bridge Street Social Club (not a real social club) now. Bit of a wanky bar.

On 29/07/2020 at 23:42, Raidernation said:

Bridge Street? Opposite the Bridge Bar (which if memory serves didn’t use to have a cludgie for the ladies)

True. The Grill round the corner was similar. Has a much better beer and whisky selection (and sponsors the North Junior League Cup).

Aye the Grill was one of my very favourite bars in Aberdeen. Stop in there on my way home after a hard day’s teaching for a couple of pints and nips then home for dinner.

Often followed by several more beers, a bottle or 2 of wine and maybe a few more nips!

Aye the Grill was one of my very favourite bars in Aberdeen. Stop in there on my way home after a hard day’s teaching for a couple of pints and nips then home for dinner.

Often followed by several more beers, a bottle or 2 of wine and maybe a few more nips!
[emoji1]

5 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

There's a page here that seems to explain everything quite well: https://www.fmscout.com/a-championship-manager-0102-free-download.html

It basically amounts to:

• Install a CD/DVD drive emulator, like DAEMON Tools Lite, or the one they mention on the page above
  • Mount the image you downloaded, and it'll show up like a physical CD in Windows
  • Once it's done, download the final official patch (v3.9.68) for the game, and install it. IIRC, the game just doesn't work on modern machines without it

That should be you about ready to play, barring weird issues with modern machines, which you can always ask about in the Gaming forum on here, as folk are always re-installing CM 01/02. Once it's installed and working, you can search about for patches that people have made to update the game to modern league systems/teams/players. Says a lot that people are still doing that for games like this and Sensible World of Soccer!

Sensi Soccer eh?

Goal Scoring Superstar Hero....

On 02/08/2020 at 12:19, BigFatTabbyDave said:

It basically amounts to:

Ran for a couple of hours then it says can't run because there's not enough disc space?

21 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Ran for a couple of hours then it says can't run because there's not enough disc space?

What exactly does it say?

7 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

I deleted everything and cleaned out all the dead stuff I have so I'm going to try again tonight.

Not sure how emptying your basement is going to help, but anything's worth a try. Lol.

Make sure to right-click on the shortcut and 'Run as Administrator', as it's a very old game made when they expected to have full access to everything on your machine. Also might be worth using the 'nomemcheck' command line switch - I seem to remember having to do that once when it told me I didn't have enough RAM (ha). You right-click on the shortcut to launch the game, then select 'Properties' from the context menu. Make sure you're on the 'Shortcut' tab, and look at the 'Target' box. Put quotation marks around the path to the file (if they aren't already there), so it looks like this:

"C:\Program Files\Championship Manager 01-02\CM_0102.exe"

I forget exactly what the path/filename is, but you get the idea. You just want to add 'nomemcheck' at the end of that, outside of the quotation marks, so it looks like:

"C:\Program Files\Championship Manager 01-02\CM_0102.exe" nomemcheck

Click 'OK' and that should stop the game from checking you have enough memory - might help with disk space issues too, I'm not sure.

Been years since I've played the game at this point, so I'm by no means an expert on this anymore!

On 29/07/2020 at 23:42, Raidernation said:

Bridge Street? Opposite the Bridge Bar (which if memory serves didn’t use to have a cludgie for the ladies)

It still doesn't. Great pub

I'm either going to be in St Andrews or Montrose on Monday. Looking for someplace for a bite to eat early-ish (about 2pm) so that'll rule out Indian restuarants etc. 

I know about Roos Leap in Montrose. The Balgove in St Andrews. 

Any other recommendations? 

@Chicken Wing (I can't remember if you're the Montrose poster, apologies if not!) 

Edited by Mr. Alli

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I'm either going to be in St Andrews or Montrose on Monday. Looking for someplace for a bite to eat early-ish (about 2pm) so that'll rule out Indian restuarants etc. 

@Chicken Wing (I can't remember if you're the Montrose poster, apologies if not!) 

I haven't been in years, but I used to enjoy 1 Golf Place in St Andrews for lunch. Their chicken caesar salad in particular was amazing. Dunvegan, around the corner on North Street, was also pretty good.

Edited by MSU

[mention=46398]Chicken Wing[/mention] (I can't remember if you're the Montrose poster, apologies if not!) 

Rug Bug Bennys in Montrose, shite name but great food.

That the one right next to the train station? 
Used to have a pool table etc? 
It's on the street that goes from the train station to the High Street, used to be called 7 Sins but they decided to rebrand during lockdown.

7 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

BlackHorn burger/hot dog place in St Andrews does some tasty stuff. Sit in or takeaway and plenty of places to sit nearby outside if it’s a good day.