Quick Question Thread

5 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Anyone know of any supermarkets selling decent chicken (free range or corn fed)?

Makro Edinburgh (now Booker) used to sell free range corn fed chickens last year, but when i asked about them a couple of months ago, i was told that they'd stopped stocking them in favour of cheaper, easier shifting chickens.

5 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Anyone know of any supermarkets selling decent chicken (free range or corn fed)?

I'm not sure about the origins of it but Brakes have opened up to the public. Very decent pricing. 

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve found tesco finest range which is both free range and corn fed to be decent for a supermarket 

24 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I’ve found tesco finest range which is both free range and corn fed to be decent for a supermarket 

13 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Lidl do OK free range chicken. No supermarket does properly good ones, for which you need to go to farm shops and drop 15 notes.

Morrison’s usually do decent chicken but are obviously being affected by the crisis as the only thing available at the moment is the standard range.  OK for some dishes but not so good for others.

Squirrel is tasty. Get it skinned.

During the good weather a few weeks back, I found three of the wee buggers motionless on their sides on next door's roof, so got myself into a froth about some arsehole putting poison down. After a few hours, it turned out the wee shites were just sunbathing.

Edit: the kitchen overhangs their roof, BTW. I wasn't trying to break in or anything.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

17 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Its not a supermarket but if you can be arsed taking a drive Grewars farms shop outside Birkhill are open do excellent chicken and all other meats. 

Your most reliable supplier of duck eggs locally too which is my main reason for going.

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Its not a supermarket but if you can be arsed taking a drive Grewars farms shop outside Birkhill are open do excellent chicken and all other meats. 

Your most reliable supplier of duck eggs locally too which is my main reason for going.

I’ll have a wee look at that.  Mixu suggested something similar.  There’s also a farm shop close by that I’ve never been to and might take a look.

The squirrel is a COVID 19 victim unfortunately. Out walking the dog at around 7.59pm last night. Some people had come out of their houses (this was in a part of town where all the houses have swimming pools, tennis courts etc). At 8pm they started banging saucepan lids etc and the terrified squirrel bolted out of someone's hedge, right under the wheels of a passing Land Rover. 

The driver, distraught, got out, and appeared to be looking to the heavens for help revive the wee creature. She had furry gloves on and picked up the creature to check for life then looked heartbroken that she had killed the beast. At this point her car is abandoned in the middle of the road and she's making it awkward for the wee group of folk either side of the road from her, banging and clapping. She's going through a personal hell at killing a squirrel and the clappers are having to sort of look sympathetically at her whilst simultaneously continuing their virtue signalling. 

By now I had held back, enjoying the show. I knew I should click my phone to video, release the hound and watch him thunder up to snatch the squirrel. Instead, I kept him in check and watched as the crying lady took the squirrel to the side of the road, give it the last rites, take the sympathetic nods from the bellringers and pot-bangers and get back in her car. The car had also attracted a few peeps and beeps by other motorists who'd had to mount the kerb (avoiding the pot bangers). Other motorists beeped for the NHS and didn't know there was a whole furry drama unfolding. 

Then the show was over. The clappers retreated behind their electric gates, the squirrel killer drove off and silence once more descended on this affluent corner of leafy Colinton. 

4 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

The squirrel is a COVID 19 victim unfortunately. Out walking the dog at around 7.59pm last night. Some people had come out of their houses (this was in a part of town where all the houses have swimming pools, tennis courts etc). At 8pm they started banging saucepan lids etc and the terrified squirrel bolted out of someone's hedge, right under the wheels of a passing Land Rover. 

The driver, distraught, got out, and appeared to be looking to the heavens for help revive the wee creature. She had furry gloves on and picked up the creature to check for life then looked heartbroken that she had killed the beast. At this point her car is abandoned in the middle of the road and she's making it awkward for the wee group of folk either side of the road from her, banging and clapping. She's going through a personal hell at killing a squirrel and the clappers are having to sort of look sympathetically at her whilst simultaneously continuing their virtue signalling. 

By now I had held back, enjoying the show. I knew I should click my phone to video, release the hound and watch him thunder up to snatch the squirrel. Instead, I kept him in check and watched as the crying lady took the squirrel to the side of the road, give it the last rites, take the sympathetic nods from the bellringers and pot-bangers and get back in her car. The car had also attracted a few peeps and beeps by other motorists who'd had to mount the kerb (avoiding the pot bangers). Other motorists beeped for the NHS and didn't know there was a whole furry drama unfolding. 

Then the show was over. The clappers retreated behind their electric gates, the squirrel killer drove off and silence once more descended on this affluent corner of leafy Colinton. 

That’s a fascinating story.

No, sorry boring, not fascinating.  It’s a boring story.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It was delicious. Five minutes of awkward squirming (and no more than a few seconds of squirming by the squirrel). 

Better than your stories anyway.

"You'll never guess what I did today. I sat by the pool and got jaiked by lunchtime". 

Edited by Shandon Par

3 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

It was delicious. Five minutes of awkward squirming (and no more than a few seconds of squirming by the squirrel). 

Better than your stories anyway.

"You'll never guess what I did today. I sat by the pool and got jaiked by lunchtime". 

It’s not any worse than “I ran 200 miles and did 5,000 push ups before lunch and I’m not even tired”.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Not everything can end in a rammy, you old miseryguts.

I thought it was very well written.Shandon should try his hand at shortform fiction.